Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city takes the cake?
Providence 26 57.78%
Portland, ME 19 42.22%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2024, 08:54 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times

Advertisements

Anyway yeah Providence is a great, fun city. And yes Portland is just a large seaside quaint town. not a real city comparable to Providence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2024, 11:28 AM

12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
Do you think it's a stretch to say the nightlife in Providence is better than Boston? I have some friends who went to RISD and they claimed that, and BBMM said it earlier in this thread. That seems hard to believe though, especially if you lump Cambridge, Somerville, etc. with Boston. But I've never been to Providence so I could be completely wrong.
I think it depends on what your scene is and what you're looking for in a night out. Boston (+ Cambridge/Somerville) is a far bigger urban area, so there are far more options. Providence doesn't have a true nightlife district like Boston's Faneuil Hall area, Lansdowne St., etc. And, at least in a general sense, Boston's nightlife skews a bit more upscale than Providence's. The venues are typically nicer in Boston, prices higher, rules a bit more rigid, etc. You could argue that Boston feels corporate to a degree (probably due in part to the fact that only well-heeled investors can afford a liquor license), whereas Providence is much "homier" if that makes sense.

So Boston's nightlife is a bit more staid. Providence definitely has the edge on "seedier" stuff (strip clubs, sketchy/divey places, etc.). But it's more than just upscale vs. dives. Providence's nightlife is generally just more laid back. For example, places actually close at 2am instead of doing last call at 12:30. Providence venues seem to be less rigid with the rules (i.e. not so quick to cut people off, may serve a few minutes after last call, might allow a dog inside on a quieter day, brewery staff will share an outside bottle with a guest, etc.). There are a lot of places in Providence that don't look amazing, but serve great cocktails and food. And there's generally a whole lot less pretense.

I'm in my late 30s now, so the club scene is well in the rear-view. At my age, I mostly appreciate Providence's really impressive food and cocktail scene. There are so many little relaxed spots here that make a really impressive drink that costs about 25-35% less than the same drink would cost in Boston (in a far more pretentious setting). And Providence seems to have much better late night food options. Providence's brewery scene also beats Boston's (though it isn't on the same level as Portland). That said, when I was in my 20s, I also had a lot more fun in Providence than Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City