Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: This City has the Best Skyline. No THIS City has the Best Skyline
TORONTO And all it's Appeal 28 15.22%
CHICAGO And all it's Majesty 156 84.78%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2019, 11:36 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,885,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Chicago is a much apt comparison for Toronto than NYC. Regardless of it being the largest city in Canada, it's not fair to compare Toronto to NYC. The U.S. is the most economically powerful country on earth. NYC is on an altogether separate level.

I do agree that every time we have one of these Chicago versus Toronto comparisons, it always end up the same way. Homerism, subjectivity and ultimately negative posting. Would be nice to call a moratorium on these Chicago / Toronto htreads for a while. If you've read one, you've read them all.

Also, I would not let message board heros (whether from Chicago or Toronto) and their conjecture and opinions dissuade you from visiting Toronto. Toronto is a pretty cool and unique city certainly worth a visit.
I agree on a moratorium..this has been compared enough...and it's always the same. I don't think, either, that it's an apples to apples comparison...different countries just can't give you a completely fair comparison. It also leaves me with the impression (I know Toronto fans won't like this), that Toronto desperately wants to be in the US. I know this probably isn't true, but they try too hard. Also, I know it isn't "Toronto", but the few boosters from Toronto, that leave me with that impression. Fair, or not, it is what it is. Compare Toronto and Vancouver, or Montreal.

Old 09-23-2019, 11:57 AM

17,150 posts, read 15,366,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
I agree on a moratorium..this has been compared enough...and it's always the same. I don't think, either, that it's an apples to apples comparison...different countries just can't give you a completely fair comparison. It also leaves me with the impression (I know Toronto fans won't like this), that Toronto desperately wants to be in the US. I know this probably isn't true, but they try too hard. Also, I know it isn't "Toronto", but the few boosters from Toronto, that leave me with that impression. Fair, or not, it is what it is. Compare Toronto and Vancouver, or Montreal.
That's an even worse comparison. Vancouver very closely resembles an Asian city, and Montreal is just... Montreal. Smaller, much more compact and more dense, with narrow streets and much less height. Chicago is the only city in NA that's really comparable to Toronto in several metrics.

Old 09-23-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
That's an even worse comparison. Vancouver very closely resembles an Asian city, and Montreal is just... Montreal. Smaller, much more compact and more dense, with narrow streets and much less height. Chicago is the only city in NA that's really comparable to Toronto in several metrics.
OK, but what's left to compare. It's been done....and people just don't stop. I'll just refrain from looking at this thread...it's on me, that it makes me cringe.

Old 09-23-2019, 12:45 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,296,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
That’s a weird thing to say, especially in the age of Trump. My impression is that very few sane people anywhere in the developed world want to be a part of the US nowadays.

Besides, looking at this thread, the boudmouthing and worn-out stereotypes have mostly been going one way (Toronto is boring, bland, its skyline sucks, etc.), suggesting that if anything the pendulum of insecurity may now have swung in the other direction.

Also, in case you didn’t notice, this thread was not started by a Torontonian. So you are barking up the wrong tree, and just revealing your own biases.

Old 09-23-2019, 01:05 PM

17,150 posts, read 15,366,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
That’s a weird thing to say, especially in the age of Trump. My impression is that very few sane people anywhere in the developed world want to be a part of the US nowadays.

Besides, looking at this thread, the boudmouthing and worn-out stereotypes have mostly been going one way (Toronto is boring, bland, its skyline sucks, etc.), suggesting that if anything the pendulum of insecurity may now have swung in the other direction.

Also, in case you didn’t notice, this thread was not started by a Torontonian. So you are barking up the wrong tree, and just revealing your own biases.
Not disagreeing with you at all, but keep in mind, LOTS of Canadians also feel this way about Toronto. Maybe not "boring" (anyone who would think this is clueless) but bland, and possibly soulless, yes.

Old 09-23-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:

I know who started the thread. My comments are based on previous threads, as well. This hasn't been the only Toronto vs. Chicago thread. If you look back, you may see it, too.

Old 09-23-2019, 02:18 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,296,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Not disagreeing with you at all, but keep in mind, LOTS of Canadians also feel this way about Toronto. Maybe not "boring" (anyone who would think this is clueless) but bland, and possibly soulless, yes.
Well sure, but big alpha cities tend to get picked on a lot in their own countries. Lots of Americans think that Chicago is a crime-ridden cesspool. After all, nicknames like Chiraq and Sh*tcago were not invented by Canadians. Does that mean it’s true? Well there is no smoke without a fire, as they say, but that doesn’t mean that a level-headed and reasonably educated person would say or believe that.

As someone who visited Toronto again just a few months ago I find these stereotypes ridiculously off the mark. Besides, “bland and soulless” compared to what?? Montreal? Even if that were true (and I don’t believe it is) 95% of North American cities are bland and soulless compared to Montreal. Compared to Chicago? Absolutely not.

Old 09-23-2019, 02:47 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,239,801 times
Quote:
Well sure, but big alpha cities tend to get picked on a lot in their own countries. Lots of Americans think that Chicago is a crime-ridden cesspool. After all, nicknames like Chiraq and Sh*tcago were not invented by Canadians. Does that mean it’s true? Well there is no smoke without a fire, as they say, but that doesn’t mean that a level-headed and reasonably educated person would say or believe that.

As someone who visited Toronto again just a few months ago I find these stereotypes ridiculously off the mark. Besides, “bland and soulless” compared to what?? Montreal? Even if that were true (and I don’t believe it is) 95% of North American cities are bland and soulless compared to Montreal. Compared to Chicago? Absolutely not.
Chiraq did not stick and the movies was a total flop. Why are you even bringing it into the thread..... and this sh*town mention as Canadian in origin I find laughable.

Your agenda comes thru. This is nonsense in a thread on skylines.

Don't say calm down. It is irreverent to the thread. You subtle way to demean this city as always.

One day .... I might figure our why.

Old 09-23-2019, 02:52 PM

13,351 posts, read 39,950,637 times
This thread has veered way off topic. Time to close it.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City