Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Skyline
I just can't decide 16 5.35%
Charlotte has the better one 234 78.26%
Nashville has the better one 49 16.39%
Voters: 299. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2021, 09:34 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,443,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
By 2030, Nashville and Charlotte will most likely be very, very close in terms of number of skyscrapers, density, and height.
I really dont think that'll be the case. It's gone tower mad like Austin, another it-city yes, but Charlotte still has the bulk and is still building impressively itself. BOA already has the tallest building in the city and just built another one. Duke Energy has the 2nd tallest building in the city...and is currently building another one.

Nashville will definitely be more impressive than other southeast cities like Raleigh, Louisville, Jacksonville, etc, but Charlotte is just in another tier. A lot can happen between 2021 and 2030. We'll see then how they actually look. Hopefully we dont have another bad economic downturn, though Nashville does seem to be heading in a bubble.

*not saying youre saying this* but some people really seem to think Nashville is going to become a bigger, more important city than Charlotte, and are cheering for it, and that's just not happening. Nashville is growing slower for starters.

Old 09-07-2021, 09:54 AM

592 posts, read 589,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
I really dont think that'll be the case. It's gone tower mad like Austin, another it-city yes, but Charlotte still has the bulk and is still building impressively itself. BOA already has the tallest building in the city and just built another one. Duke Energy has the 2nd tallest building in the city...and is currently building another one.

Nashville will definitely be more impressive than other southeast cities like Raleigh, Louisville, Jacksonville, etc, but Charlotte is just in another tier. A lot can happen between 2021 and 2030. We'll see then how they actually look. Hopefully we dont have another bad economic downturn, though Nashville does seem to be heading in a bubble.

*not saying youre saying this* but some people really seem to think Nashville is going to become a bigger, more important city than Charlotte, and are cheering for it, and that's just not happening. Nashville is growing slower for starters.
I can't speak for Charlotte as I'm not familiar with the projects under construction there currently outside of the new Duke energy tower. Nashville definitely has a ton currently under construction and even more proposed in the pipeline that will completely transform it's skyline even more than it already has. It'll remain to be seen if it'll be better than Charlotte (BOA and Wells Fargo towers really enhance the skyline) but don't sell Nashville short as it's gaining ground very fast. Charlotte will probably still have more taller towers in the 700 ft. or more range, Nashville will have an abundance in the 300-500 ft. range spread across a wider area in the downtown, midtown, gulch and now east bank/river north area with Oracle.

Also, as of the 2020 census Nashville's growth rate was at 20.8% while Charlotte's is at 18.6%. While not a huge difference, Nashville is indeed growing faster percentage wise and will possibly accelerate more once the jobs at Amazon and Oracle begin taking effect.

Here's a rundown per poster MidTenn on another urban development page that shows towers over 400ft currently proposed and in development with a few over 700ft yet to be announced towers not included.

Here's a similar graphic that includes the tallest currently announced Paramount tower at 750 ft.

Graphic by MidTenn that shows some of the proposed towers in the downtown skyline, doesn't include proposed towers in midtown or river north/east bank.

Last edited by jkc2j; 09-07-2021 at 10:32 AM..

Old 09-07-2021, 10:16 AM

10,055 posts, read 14,425,999 times
Quote:

The thing with Nashville is that the development pace is probably in the top 5 easily, in the entire US right now, for skyscraper construction. Charlotte is up there too, but Nashville's skyline has completely changed from 2010 to 2015, and then from 2015 to 2021, it again completely changed.

With 25-30+ skyscrapers in the construction pipeline either approved or proposed for Nashville, it should continue its hot streak (economy allowing) for the next several years, at least.

If only 50% of the 30 proposed skyscrapers actually get built, that's another 15 skyscrapers at least for Nashville in the next few years. Add in the 6 under construction currently, and Nashville will have a minimum of 49-50 completed skyscrapers over 300 feet, by roughly the late 2020's, or 2030.

Charlotte, on the other hand, has about 12 or so in the pipeline now, and if 75% of those are built, that adds another 9, plus the 3 under construction now, so that is another 12 by roughly mid 2020's. Add that up, and by the late 2020's or 2030, Charlotte will have roughly 47-48, probably 50 completed.

The way Nashville is becoming the "it" city, and is known for going BIG, I would venture a guess to say Nashville will definitely build one or two skyscrapers in the 700-900 foot range by 2030.

These 2 cities will be neck and neck by 2030. Charlotte will *probably* still have taller, but who knows.

Old 09-07-2021, 10:23 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,443,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkc2j View Post
I can't speak for Charlotte as I'm not familiar with the projects under construction there currently outside of the new Duke energy tower. Nashville definitely has a ton currently under construction and even more proposed in the pipeline that will completely transform it's skyline even more than it already has. It'll remain to be seen if it'll be better than Charlotte (BOA and Wells Fargo towers really enhance the skyline) but don't sell Nashville short as it's gaining ground very fast.

Also, as of the 2020 census Nashville's growth rate was at 20.8% while Charlotte's is at 18.6%. While not a huge difference, Nashville is indeed growing faster percentage wise and will possibly accelerate more once the jobs at Amazon and Oracle begin taking effect.

Here's a rundown per poster MidTenn on another urban development page that shows towers over 400ft currently proposed and in development with a few over 700ft yet to be announced towers not included.

Here's a similar graphic that includes the tallest currently announced Paramount tower at 750 ft.
Yes because Nashville is smaller. In raw numbers Charlotte added more people. 100,000 more. It remains to be seen if those will all actually be built. There is no denying whats currently happening in Nashville is impressive, I saw a 4 year difference and it was incredible, but so is Charlotte's 2 year change. Theres some attitudes that Nashville will dethrown Charlotte for the regions #2, and thats not something I see happening.

And architecturally, Charlotte has more style, and in terms of current projects, thats not going to change. To me, skyscraper comparisons is more than who has more. Tulsa has taller buildings than Tampa, but they're ugly. They dont build towers like the new BOA Tower in Charlotte anymore. I was surprised to actually see a new tower built in the US with a crown. Everything these days is boring blue glass boxes. Only a couple of those towers in that picture actually wow me, the rest of it is just blue boxes.

But still good to see Nashville getting the activity anyways. Nashville is punching above its weight in that regards, but Charlotte is holding its own very firmly.

Old 09-07-2021, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Yes because Nashville is smaller. In raw numbers Charlotte added more people. 100,000 more. It remains to be seen if those will all actually be built. There is no denying whats currently happening in Nashville is impressive, I saw a 4 year difference and it was incredible, but so is Charlotte's 2 year change. Theres some attitudes that Nashville will dethrown Charlotte for the regions #2, and thats not something I see happening.

And architecturally, Charlotte has more style, and in terms of current projects, thats not going to change. To me, skyscraper comparisons is more than who has more. Tulsa has taller buildings than Tampa, but they're ugly. They dont build towers like the new BOA Tower in Charlotte anymore. I was surprised to actually see a new tower built in the US with a crown. Everything these days is boring blue glass boxes. Only a couple of those towers in that picture actually wow me, the rest of it is just blue boxes.

But still good to see Nashville getting the activity anyways. Nashville is punching above its weight in that regards, but Charlotte is holding its own very firmly.
Most of the towers you see on the diagram are part of large multi acre developments like Nashville Yards. This development is part of the Amazon campus and the newly announced HQ for Nashville based Pinnacle Financial. The development is currently under construction with the tallest towers set to start in the next month or two.

https://nashvilleyards.com/

Though not a guarantee that all proposed towers listed on the previous diagram will be built, the likelihood of a large percentage of them is very high. I agree with you on a lot of the new towers looking a bit boxy. Possibly a way to cut costs and the price of materials being very expensive in today's time. There's actually a couple of towers that are set to be new tallest that have yet to be revealed to the public so we'll see how they look once revealed.

Last edited by jkc2j; 09-07-2021 at 12:13 PM..

Old 09-07-2021, 12:23 PM

393 posts, read 261,248 times
Charlotte wins; it has more and taller buildings, though both are growing fast.

Old 09-07-2021, 04:15 PM

10,055 posts, read 14,425,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statebw View Post
Charlotte has a pretty sharp skyline. It's interesting to see what happens there and well, everywhere with the changes right now... a lot of people aren't going into offices and that's not going to change.
This is an underlying huge issue currently, to many cities and their downtowns.

With so many huge office towers in many cities, rent is still due even if no one is using them.

Remote will have a huge impact on office and commercial construction in cities, and already has started. Cities that are able to build diverse skyscrapers will be the strongest.

Charlotte has a lot of financial office space, so this will be a key factor for them specifically going forward, to see if they can maintain what they have and build additional office space.

Old 09-07-2021, 09:25 PM

50 posts, read 34,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
The thing with Nashville is that the development pace is probably in the top 5 easily, in the entire US right now, for skyscraper construction. Charlotte is up there too, but Nashville's skyline has completely changed from 2010 to 2015, and then from 2015 to 2021, it again completely changed.

With 25-30+ skyscrapers in the construction pipeline either approved or proposed for Nashville, it should continue its hot streak (economy allowing) for the next several years, at least.

If only 50% of the 30 proposed skyscrapers actually get built, that's another 15 skyscrapers at least for Nashville in the next few years. Add in the 6 under construction currently, and Nashville will have a minimum of 49-50 completed skyscrapers over 300 feet, by roughly the late 2020's, or 2030.

Charlotte, on the other hand, has about 12 or so in the pipeline now, and if 75% of those are built, that adds another 9, plus the 3 under construction now, so that is another 12 by roughly mid 2020's. Add that up, and by the late 2020's or 2030, Charlotte will have roughly 47-48, probably 50 completed.

The way Nashville is becoming the "it" city, and is known for going BIG, I would venture a guess to say Nashville will definitely build one or two skyscrapers in the 700-900 foot range by 2030.

These 2 cities will be neck and neck by 2030. Charlotte will *probably* still have taller, but who knows.
Leading up to 2030, Charlotte could easily see a good amount of towers anchored by banks like Truist as it expands and other banks that already expanding into the market like US Bank or banks looking to expand into the market like Chase Bank. Charlotte currently has 4 under construction and 20+ or so proposed/planned/approved

U/C
Duke Tower-620ft
Intercontinental Hotel-420ft- was halted but back U/C
Lowes Tower 357ft-
The Line 200+ ft

-Spirit Square (2)- https://charlotteaxios-charlotteagen.../7thTryon1.jpg
-Future development containing one office tower nearing 1M square feet (probably around 600') and two high-rise residential towers. (3)- https://up-bucket-0.s3.amazonaws.com...b8ed04dfc8.jpg
-Brooklyn Village (2) - https://brooklynvillage-clt.com/wp-c...ndering2-1.jpg
LoSo station development (2)- https://cmg-cmg-tv-10030-prod.cdn.ar...O42ZGJVYNM.JPG
110 East (2)-- future building to be built on site- https://www.110east.com/img/gallery/ext5.jpg
-Future hotel atop SouthEnd mixed used project (1) - https://www.charlotteobserver.com/ch...za%20Rendering
-Residential tower 1 (1)- https://ml.globenewswire.com/Resourc...c0b4815?size=3
-Residential tower 2- future 365,000 sq ft. office tower (2)- https://charlotteaxios-charlotteagen...tower_full.jpg
-Residential tower 3 (1)- https://www.charlotteobserver.com/la...m%20Euclid.jpg
-Residential tower 4 (1) - https://media.bizj.us/view/img/12017...2511-137-0.jpg
35qjzRVbKOi32Z3PGjMqu-2R2cLi-jKklztW4CdSnXZwHrcRB2GCe2fnY10qmIqdbY&usqp=CAU
-Medical school main building (1)- https://prod.wp.cdn.aws.wfu.edu/site...tte.inset_.jpg
-CTC redevelopment (2)- https://charlotteaxios-charlotteagen...-rendering.png
-Baldwin (1) - https://www.srenc.com/wp-content/upl...a-1024x576.jpg
-Moxy Hotel (1) - https://www.charlottestories.com/wp-...-charlotte.jpg

At least 22, potentially more.

https://ap.rdcpix.com/b48eb6d464c964...0_h480_q80.jpg

^
That is actually an outdated picture without the 620' Duke Tower directly adjacent to the regular building, but imagine you add 3 350-400+' towers to the right of Hearst Tower, where there's a gap. Also, this picture wouldn't even show the eventual cluster to the left, the center of SouthEnd which will have 5-6+ towers in the 250-350 range in just a couple years. Then directly next to the pyramid looking tower you will have a 500-600' tower and three other high rise residential towers and the medical school building that will be around 300'. (This is assuming most of what is being proposed is getting built, I'd say at 80% will EVENTUALLY get built)

Charlotte's skyline already looks decently big when you're looking at it from a distance and in the next in 5-10 years, it will be this long stretch of buildings stretching multiple miles from uptown to the end of SouthEnd.

https://up-bucket-0.s3.amazonaws.com...8743a4bcd.jpeg

I know this a try hard post, but it annoys me because I know for sure Charlotte has more 12 projects in the pipeline, only people really following the city would know that that isn't the case.

Last edited by WASD44; 09-07-2021 at 09:40 PM..

Old 09-08-2021, 12:34 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,390,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkc2j View Post
I can't speak for Charlotte as I'm not familiar with the projects under construction there currently outside of the new Duke energy tower. Nashville definitely has a ton currently under construction and even more proposed in the pipeline that will completely transform it's skyline even more than it already has. It'll remain to be seen if it'll be better than Charlotte (BOA and Wells Fargo towers really enhance the skyline) but don't sell Nashville short as it's gaining ground very fast. Charlotte will probably still have more taller towers in the 700 ft. or more range, Nashville will have an abundance in the 300-500 ft. range spread across a wider area in the downtown, midtown, gulch and now east bank/river north area with Oracle.

Graphic by MidTenn that shows some of the proposed towers in the downtown skyline, doesn't include proposed towers in midtown or river north/east bank.

There’s a lot more happening in Charlotte than Nashville posters generally think. Other message boards have more Charlotte folk. I don’t follow Charlotte too closely these past years but when I check in to be host of what’s going on, I’m surprised.

This is old but it seem like downtown Charlotte was projected to gain more residents than downtown Nashville between 2016-2018 with Charlotte gaining more one year and Nashville the next.
https://ctycms.com/tn-nashville/docs...al-report-.pdf

The 2018 projections showed Downtown CLT having 18k, Nashville 13K. Modcut: Austin is not part of this thread.

Charlotte is finishing up a sharp looking tower that would be the tallest in Nashville (including those giant poles on the Batman building) and just finished last year a building that too would be the tallest in Nashville and there is a proposal any time now (anchor tenant supposedly secured - a bank) for another 40-floor+ office tower likely to be another taller than anything in Nashville and Rumors for another Bank to build probably an fairly tall tower too. The banks keep building.

Outside of tallest, there’s a lot of 20 floor towers randomly going up Im not too familiar with. My only point is. If you don’t know another city well enough, just ask a poster from there or go to a source that is most up to date with that city... Certain sources have more active users of particular cities.

Last edited by JMT; 09-08-2021 at 06:48 PM..

Old 09-08-2021, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
There’s a lot more happening in Charlotte than Nashville posters generally think. Other message boards have more Charlotte folk. I don’t follow Charlotte too closely these past years but when I check in to be host of what’s going on, I’m surprised.

This is old but it seem like downtown Charlotte was projected to gain more residents than downtown Nashville between 2016-2018 with Charlotte gaining more one year and Nashville the next.
https://ctycms.com/tn-nashville/docs...al-report-.pdf

The 2018 projections showed Downtown CLT having 18k, Nashville 13K. Modcut: Austin is not part of this thread.

Charlotte is finishing up a sharp looking tower that would be the tallest in Nashville (including those giant poles on the Batman building) and just finished last year a building that too would be the tallest in Nashville and there is a proposal any time now (anchor tenant supposedly secured - a bank) for another 40-floor+ office tower likely to be another taller than anything in Nashville and Rumors for another Bank to build probably an fairly tall tower too. The banks keep building.

Outside of tallest, there’s a lot of 20 floor towers randomly going up I'm not too familiar with. My only point is. If you don’t know another city well enough, just ask a poster from there or go to a source that is most up to date with that city... Certain sources have more active users of particular cities.
I've provided the details I know of Nashville, please feel free to provide the details you know of Charlotte. I mean, you even admitted you don't keep up with Charlotte development, but guessing based on your gut.

Also, there's currently 14,000 people in downtown Nashville as of the 2020 census and growing very fast and this is before the effects of Amazon or Oracle which are still in development. That number doesn't include midtown which is it's own business/residential district which is close to 12-13k.

https://ctycms.com/tn-nashville/docs...2020-final.pdf

I typically shy away from using wiki as a source but based on what I'm seeing, Nashville has 7 towers currently under construction ranging from 456ft-280ft. Meaning tower cranes currently up and running with another 31 in various stages of development i.e. proposed, approved, on hold.

Charlotte currently has 3 under construction from 619ft-212ft with another 10 in various stages of development i.e. proposed, approved, on hold etc.

Both cites are seeing development, but it seems Nashville is currently building more towers in the 200-400 range with a combination of office and residential, where as Charlotte's current under construction of 200ft-600ft range and is primarily office.

Not including what hasn't been released to the public for either city, Nashville has 5 towers from 500-700ft proposed and approved. Charlotte currently doesn't list anything at that height other than what's already under construction with the new Duke energy building at 619ft.

Charlotte indeed does have things going on but it seems Nashville is gaining ground in high-rises very quickly. Please feel free to post information to the contrary for Charlotte if what's stated is not true.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...s_in_Nashville

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_in_Charlotte

Last edited by JMT; 09-08-2021 at 06:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City