Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More liberal - Berkeley, CA or Cambridge, MA ?
Berkeley 75 87.21%
Cambridge 11 12.79%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 05:37 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,511,989 times

Advertisements

Berkeley. Cambridge (compared to Berkeley) is more live-and-let-live and Berkeley is actually hostile towards most any level of diversity of thought outside of liberalism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2019, 05:54 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
Berkeley. Cambridge (compared to Berkeley) is more live-and-let-live and Berkeley is actually hostile towards most any level of diversity of thought outside of liberalism.
I think this is true about Cambridge. I manage to have progressive friends in Cambridge even though I am not at all left-leaning. I think they think I'm weird, but that's not so bad.

Old 07-30-2019, 06:01 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,511,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I think this is true about Cambridge. I manage to have progressive friends in Cambridge even though I am not at all left-leaning. I think they think I'm weird, but that's not so bad.
Yeah, my wife lived in Cambridge in the mid-80's. She is/was Conservative but had no problems finding her niche' and had liberal friends. They respected each other's differences and got along fine. Now, that's pushing 35 years ago. The political climate is soooo different now. But my in-laws still live in the Boston/Cape Cod area and it's much more tolerant than the San Francisco/Berkeley area from my own personal experience.

Old 07-30-2019, 09:20 AM

71 posts, read 45,571 times
I'm a liberal Democrat and Cambridge resident. We're definitely in large majority here and I don't think any other city in MA or in the Northeast comes close in terms of liberal values in practice than Cambridge.

I don't have much experience in the Bay Area but in my short time there I found Berkeley to be next level grandstand-y and performative liberalism to the point of caricature. Maybe due to Berkeley's history of activism and protest? It's undoubtedly a beautiful city and I'd like to return soon.

Old 07-30-2019, 09:46 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
...my in-laws still live in the Boston/Cape Cod area and it's much more tolerant than the San Francisco/Berkeley area from my own personal experience.
Oh really? What has been your personal experience?

I live in Oakland and spend lots of time in SF and Berkeley, and honestly, politics is one of the last things anyone talks about in real life.

It seems like Fox News talks more about our local politics way more then we do?

Old 07-30-2019, 11:59 AM

23,521 posts, read 24,000,129 times
Berkeley is so far left, it’s “off the scale”. (Grin!!)

Old 07-31-2019, 11:49 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyride2019 View Post
I'm a liberal Democrat and Cambridge resident. We're definitely in large majority here and I don't think any other city in MA or in the Northeast comes close in terms of liberal values in practice than Cambridge.

I don't have much experience in the Bay Area but in my short time there I found Berkeley to be next level grandstand-y and performative liberalism to the point of caricature. Maybe due to Berkeley's history of activism and protest? It's undoubtedly a beautiful city and I'd like to return soon.
Somervile comes to mind immediately. But also other cities in the northeast are just as blue although not crunchy liberal.

Newark Hartford New Haven Jersey City Providence all come to mind as being so blue they have elected leadership form "the party of working families" and republicans arent a part of anything on any level.

Cambridge just gets the shine.

Old 08-01-2019, 08:30 AM

4,524 posts, read 5,093,240 times
Berkeley, by several miles. There is hypocrisy in both towns, but Berkeley has the pure liberal bona fides as well as being set in California (esp NoCal) which, overall, is a more wide-open liberal state setting than staid Massachusetts despite the latter's strong 'blue' reputation. Simply put: New England ain't Cali...

Old 08-01-2019, 08:32 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:
Yeah, my wife lived in Cambridge in the mid-80's. She is/was Conservative but had no problems finding her niche' and had liberal friends. They respected each other's differences and got along fine. Now, that's pushing 35 years ago. The political climate is soooo different now. But my in-laws still live in the Boston/Cape Cod area and it's much more tolerant than the San Francisco/Berkeley area from my own personal experience.
The thing in Mass is that regardless of what anyone professes to believe, everyone still lives a pretty conservative personal lifestyle at the end of the day.

Old 08-01-2019, 10:19 AM

103 posts, read 136,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
The thing in Mass is that regardless of what anyone professes to believe, everyone still lives a pretty conservative personal lifestyle at the end of the day.
Agree 100%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City