Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More liberal - Berkeley, CA or Cambridge, MA ?
Berkeley 75 87.21%
Cambridge 11 12.79%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2019, 04:01 AM

6,374 posts, read 4,987,814 times

Advertisements

Has Cambridge done anything like mandating that all the manholes in the city be called "personholes"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2019, 08:20 AM

6,806 posts, read 6,029,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Has Cambridge done anything like mandating that all the manholes in the city be called "personholes"?
Spent too much time googling this, but apparently they’ll be called “maintenance holes” not “personholes”, with the latter sounding pretty stupid and clearly made-up.

Cambridge has banned open flames in restaurants. So, any candle-lit dinner will be lit by an electric light. If Wikipedia can be believed the city had the first openly gay and the first openly lesbian African American mayors in the US. The new Cycling Safety Ordinance mandates that protected bike lanes must be added along key routes when those routes are undergoing construction.

So those are a few liberal facts about Cambridge, I guess.

Old 07-22-2020, 01:11 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,568,287 times
came across this funny t.v. ad:
https://www.universalhub.com/2020/re...ennessee-hurls

Old 07-22-2020, 01:35 PM

12,822 posts, read 9,536,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Probably Boulder.
Not even close. I'd say Boulder may not be as liberal as Cambridge.

Old 07-22-2020, 01:49 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,082,031 times
Is this a joke thread? Many other choices I'd pick before Cambridge, MA as #2. Berkeley has been known as the bastion of liberalism for generations. This one's a no brainer.

Old 07-22-2020, 04:21 PM

I wonder if Somerville’s recent decision regarding polyamory make the city more liberal than its famous neighbor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
Many other choices I'd pick before Cambridge, MA as #2.
Which ones? I voted for Berkeley, but Cambridge is still one of the country’s most liberal cities.

Old 07-22-2020, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
I wonder if Somerville’s recent decision regarding polyamory make the city more liberal than its famous neighbor?

Which ones? I voted for Berkeley, but Cambridge is still one of the country’s most liberal cities.
Portland, Burlington, Seattle, Ann Arbor, Madison and Ithaca. I guess I never really thought about it too much but yeah I guess Cambridge is right up there with the rest.

Old 07-22-2020, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Portland, Burlington, Seattle, Ann Arbor, Madison and Ithaca.
Burlington, VT? In what ways is it more liberal than Cambridge?

From what I know of and my own experience with the city, I don’t think that Ithaca is more liberal than Cambridge either. I don’t know enough about Portland (OR, right?), Seattle, Ann Arbor, or Madison to comment.

Old 07-22-2020, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Burlington, VT? In what ways is it more liberal than Cambridge?

From what I know of and my own experience with the city, I don’t think that Ithaca is more liberal than Cambridge either. I don’t know enough about Portland (OR, right?), Seattle, Ann Arbor, or Madison to comment.
Yes, Oregon.

It's called Groovy UV for a reason. University of Vermont (UVM) and Burlington have always been an East Coast answer to Berkeley in terms of laid back vibes, grunge, and pretty active on social movements.

Here's a write-up on Ithaca...

https://zoomtens.com/the-10-most-lib...-in-america/3/

Old 07-23-2020, 08:36 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,999,989 times
Quote:
Yes, Oregon.

It's called Groovy UV for a reason. University of Vermont (UVM) and Burlington have always been an East Coast answer to Berkeley in terms of laid back vibes, grunge, and pretty active on social movements.

Here's a write-up on Ithaca...

https://zoomtens.com/the-10-most-lib...-in-america/3/
My girlfriend's family is from Vermont, not far from Burlington. We're they're frequently (in fact, we will be this weekend) and her brother graduated from UVM last spring. We live a 5 minute walk from the Cambridge city line and a 20 minute walk from the heart of Harvard square. In my opinion and experience, Cambridge is far more liberal, and more actively liberal, than Burlington.

Yes, UVM is very liberal and like most college towns, the school has a disproportionate presence in town. But also like most college towns, there's a very real and noticeable divide between college/student driven activism and locals/townies. Burlington is still very liberal - I wouldn't argue otherwise. But it's located in the northwest corner of a very rural, agricultural state. The population is fairly mixed and while it's a liberal town, there's still a noticeable influence from some of the more conservative (largely old school, conservative Vermonters) who are a sizable subsection of the population.

Cambridge has a ton of the collegiate influence/activism but it is also more racially diverse than Burlington and has a huge population of very left leaning professionals. It has far less conservative influence than Burlington as it's surrounded by other liberal communities in a largely liberal metro area. Even the longtime residents (multigenerational) of Cambridge tend to be quietly liberal (vote liberal, but not leading protests/activist activities), old money types. Though I would definitely say Berkeley, CA beats Cambridge on most fronts (particularly activism).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City