Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which 2 US cities have the closest, best relationship?
New York-Philadelphia 18 16.51%
Philadelphia-Baltimore 2 1.83%
Baltimore-Washington 52 47.71%
Orlando-Tampa 5 4.59%
Cincinnati-Indianapolis 2 1.83%
Chicago-Milwaukee 12 11.01%
Austin-San Antonio 8 7.34%
Los Angeles-San Diego 6 5.50%
Bay Area-Sacramento 2 1.83%
A stretch: Pittsburgh-Cleveland 0 0%
A stretch: Cleveland-Detroit 1 0.92%
A stretch: Indianapolis-Louisville 1 0.92%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 10:50 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,454,235 times

Advertisements

Raleigh-Durham is an obvious choices, but the OP didn’t include those within the same metro. Not sure why Baltimore and D.C. would be included, but not San Francisco and San Jose? DC/BAL is gonna be the clear winner of this poll seeing they’re in the same CSA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2019, 11:34 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,358 times
Cincy and Indianapolis? Never heard of that connection. Sure they are close to each other but outside that they does seem to be a relationship. In fact I would say Indianapolis is pretty isolated in regards to relationships to other cities.

Old 07-30-2019, 11:41 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,912,445 times
Chicago--Milwaukee
NYC-Philly

If I had to pick one....hmmmm

Old 07-30-2019, 11:57 AM

23,521 posts, read 24,000,129 times
Baltimore-Washington DC.

Old 07-30-2019, 12:03 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,828,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I'd say Raleigh-Durham and The Bay Area are more integrated than Baltimore and DC. Both regions are more culturally similar, share the same media, hell the 49ers play literally 2000ft outside of San Jose. Raleigh-Durham city limits actually border each other.
As OP, I see your point. Here was my thinking in making my list:

INCLUDED

• San Francisco-Oakland is an age old link, part of the same metro area in parts of three different centuries. San Jose may not have been officially designated as the Bay Area, but always has been considered part of it. The difference from then and now: San Jose and the South Bay were backwaters in comparison to SF/E Bay...they are backwaters no more. If places on The Peninsula like Palo Alto were considered suburban SF & were more oriented towards it than towards San Jose, then it would be hard to argue that San Jose has always been part of the Bay Area. And hasn't the Cal-Stanford rivalry and their Big Game been because they are the two Bay Area schools?

• to go from Minneapolis to St. Paul, you don't even have to cross the Mississippi; in many places you just have to cross a street. The Twin Cities are called the Twin Cities for a reason

• Unlike Mpls and StP, there is a hunk of real estate between Dallas and Ft. Worth. But D/FW has been "a thing" for a heckuva long time, far longer than there has been an airport called DFW.

• It isn't the miniscule distance between Baltimore and Washington that gives them separate identity: it's their history and their locations. Two of the 5 cities of the Northeast Corridor, their development throughout the vast part of their respective histories has been at places that are near by but completely different metro areas. And for much of that history, it wasn't solid development between the two cities. They were separate. Add to that, they are in the northeast and in the tight confines of the northeast, one mile there may well be equal to a good ten miles elsewhere.

NOT INCLUDED

• Yes, the Research Triangle has grown enormously, but neither Durham or Raleigh are classified as "large cities". That was the reason I excluded them...and there are a lot of cities of that size that are adjacent across the nation. Based on their size, Raleigh and Durham, I wold think, have much more in common with Chapel Hill than they do with Houston or Atlanta. The realitively short time since the trio began its rise and the fact than none of them is a major city is the reason for my exclusion.

• And two a previous forumer, Providence is a decent sized city, but really basically decent sized, city and metro area. There are five major cities in the northeast corridor and none of them are called Providence, New Haven, Newark or Atlantic City....which is not a knock on any of them

Old 07-30-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
• Physically close by - Downtown to downtown DC-Baltimore is 38 miles, beltway to beltway is ~20 miles

• Relationship trends towards cooperative, not competitive - Chicago-Milwaukee are very harmonious with each other

• People from one frequently access the other - DC-Baltimore are actually one CSA

• Culturally they have much in common - Chicago-Milwaukee are culturally the most similar

• Spillover development can spread from one to the other (i.e. a restaurant group in one opens in the other) - Tampa-Orlando

• Can be seen as part of same "economic region" - DC-Baltimore effectively function as one giant metro similar to the Bay Area

• Both cities are oriented more towards each other than either of them would be to another city - DC-Baltimore are the two physically closest cities by a significant margin, are the most integrated via infrastructure, have a shared airport, and their metro's quite literally overlap

DC-Baltimore is the most integrated non-MSA in the country despite being culturally and economically worlds apart
outstanding argument for Baltimore-Washington and Chicago-Milwaukee being at the top of the list.

Old 07-30-2019, 12:06 PM

5 posts, read 2,795 times
Fort Worth & Dallas
Shared metro-media market-airport-freeways ect...

Old 07-30-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
Cincy and Indianapolis? Never heard of that connection. Sure they are close to each other but outside that they does seem to be a relationship. In fact I would say Indianapolis is pretty isolated in regards to relationships to other cities.
I agree. I gave them the nod because of proximity.

Old 07-30-2019, 12:11 PM

17,150 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
I would think all those cities HATE each other. Sports rivalries for example.
LOL.

Last year, I walked out of my downtown Orlando office wearing my USF Bulls hat, and was welcomed by loud jeers and insults galore from huge crowds that had gathered in the area after UCF had declared itself "Nation Champions." It was pretty comical. Considering the drunks involved, I was seriously expecting to get my arse beat.

Old 07-30-2019, 12:29 PM

12,824 posts, read 9,541,088 times
I don't know if SA and Austin hate each other. Pretty autonomous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City