Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which 2 US cities have the closest, best relationship?
New York-Philadelphia 18 16.51%
Philadelphia-Baltimore 2 1.83%
Baltimore-Washington 52 47.71%
Orlando-Tampa 5 4.59%
Cincinnati-Indianapolis 2 1.83%
Chicago-Milwaukee 12 11.01%
Austin-San Antonio 8 7.34%
Los Angeles-San Diego 6 5.50%
Bay Area-Sacramento 2 1.83%
A stretch: Pittsburgh-Cleveland 0 0%
A stretch: Cleveland-Detroit 1 0.92%
A stretch: Indianapolis-Louisville 1 0.92%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 07:27 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,885,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I don't argue.

You can't dispute fact, which is what I uttered.
Actually, I could argue with you, but I've done that before, and you're incessant. Just not a fan of Baltimore, and not many are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 07:34 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,862,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
It's funny that certain people acknowledge the census when it comes to their methodology of measuring metro's or bloated CSA's (the two most popular metrics on this site), but won't acknowledge the census when it comes to getting classified in a region that they don't want to labeled as.
Yup, exactly what I was trying to express
The Census is the "official" source when it comes to demographic numbers, MSA, CSA, etc to support those arguments (And in truth, it is "official" since it is the country's official statistics produced and reported by the government).

Then when it comes to defining region, certain people want to ignore it because they don't like what it says (e.g that Maryland and DC are classified as Southern)

As the saying goes, the knife cuts both ways....lol

I only brought it up because the one poster mentioned that the Census classifies Baltimore as northeastern, which it clearly does not and never has. I knew that it would trigger MD/DC posters. That topic is one of their trigger points lol.

Old 08-01-2019, 07:42 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Yup, exactly what I was trying to express
The Census is the "official" source when it comes to demographic numbers, MSA, CSA, etc to support those arguments (And in truth, it is "official" since it is the country's official statistics produced and reported by the government).

Then when it comes to defining region, certain people want to ignore it because they don't like what it says (e.g that Maryland and DC are classified as Southern)

As the saying goes, the knife cuts both ways....lol

I only brought it up because the one poster mentioned that the Census classifies Baltimore as northeastern, which it clearly does not and never has. I knew that it would trigger MD/DC posters. That topic is one of their trigger points lol.
You're taking the thread off topic again.

The Census is a valid measurement of population statistics. It pairs some metro areas together in some statistics. You are the one who needs that fact sink in. I only come on this site correcting people who make false statements about the region in which I live, specifically with regards to numbers and what can be proven on paper.

I have no care or desire to defend the belabored point of who lives in the North or South. This has nothing to do with numbers. I know where I live, and I know what part of the country I and the people closest to me represent. I have no problems with those who characterize the DC region as North or South. A smart person would realize that in 2020 people don't even view the divisions of only North and South like that, it's broken down way more than that. Continue to enjoy the same debate on that topic with the people on C-D. I live in the real world.

So to sum up this thread DC-Baltimore have the closet relationship out of the cities in the poll.

Who's next up?

Old 08-01-2019, 08:16 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,826,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
What rules? I’m still not following why PVD is “too small” to be considered in this thread, but those cities as well as Louisville aren’t.

You’re twisting facts. New England cities never consolidated the way Mid Atlantic cities did. Providence has 180,393 in the same way that Boston has 685,000. In truth Boston has as about many people over the same area as Philadelphia and Providence has the same number of people over the same area as Milwaukee (i.e 1.1M in the urban area and 1.5M in the metro area)

That’s mostly because NYC is magnitudes larger than SF, Dallas, and Minneapolis.

In any case, the distance between Boston and Providence is more similar to that between DC and Baltimore than NYC and Newark, so I don’t see why that’s relevant in the first place.
ok. I concede. White flag waving. I surrender. Now, can you please set up a new thread which is made up of tag teams in the ring in the middle and put it on air....

in this corner is IAM and Providence and in the other Topper and San Jose......

Divine Providence vs. The Silicon Superman...gotta love it

let the festivities begin.

Old 08-01-2019, 09:03 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,826,410 times
Parts of the Chicago-Milwaukee dynamics:

• In the 1950s, the Boston Braves moved to Milwaukee. during this era, the Chicago Tribune thought the team was part of Chicago. When NL and AL standings were listed, all were in lower case except for three teams, Cubs, White Sox, Braves....which were written CHICAGO, CHICAGO, MILWAUKEE

• Staying in baseball: when the White Sox were really struggling with attendance in the 1970s, they played some of their games in County Stadium in Milwaukee...after it lost the Braves and before the Brewers came to town.

• Staying on the diamond, a Cubs-Brewer game at Miller Park is more likely to see more Cub fans than Brewer fans. This is no knock against the Brewers who draw well....it is just testimony to Cub fans (often of means) buying up the tickets. The Brewers have played around with putting restrictions on IL residents for games between the two. For Cub fans, Milwaukee's park is sometimes referred to as "Wrigley Field North"

• What is arguably the nation's best summer musical festival and the one that started it all is Milwaukee's Summerfest. Back in the 1970s during the strange reign of Mayor Jane (Bryne, that is), Chicago came up with its own version of Summerfest. Also on the lakefront in the form of such an original name, "Chicagofest" on a still-to-be-developed and rather dilapidated old Navy Pier. This festival morphed into something built more on food than entertainment: Taste of Chicago. Taste of Chicago and Summerfest are both in July and both draw well from the other city. Particularly Summerfest. Arguably Milwaukee might never been able to host such an event if Chicago weren't close by.

• Chicago's great, late, and still lamented grand department store, Marshall Field's, had all its stores only in Chicago and its suburbs. In the early sixties, Field's built its first store out of the area at Mayfair, a mall in suburban Wawautosa. The reason: Field's was a popular destination for Milwaukee women who took the train down to Chicago's Loop to go to Field's main store.

• That train, most likely, took them to Marshall Field's where they didn't even have to go outside or touch ground to enter the store. Chicago's L, including the Loop portion, was used buy the old interurban, the North Shore (Chicago, North Shore, & Milwaukee), its southern most tracks actually were those part of Chicago's CTA. Getting off on Washington and Wabash, they could enter Field's directly on the second floor

• Milwaukee's major Catholic University is Marquette. A close to 40% of its students come from IL (the Chicago area)

• Ouch, it's gone, but Milwaukee magazine ran an article "we're all Chicago now" (https://www.milwaukeemag.com/endgame...essageid=26120) which somehow fell out of the web.

• Just south of downtown Milwaukee, on the riverfront, and emptying into the lake would be two Milwaukee neighborhoods: Third Ward and Walkers Point. Like many old warehouse districts close to major downtowns, these two have been completely gentled with the usual restaurant/store/entertainment mix. Lofts in vintage buildings along the riverfront have moorings for pleasure boats. In Chicago, it is virtually impossible to be able to get a local harbor to call home. So many Chicagoans have come to the Third War/Walkers Point area and bought condos and the boats slips that come with them.

As previously mentioned.....

• Milwaukee for a time advertised its Mitchell Field as "Chicago's third airport" in the Chicago market.

• The state line is close to being the midway point between Chicago and Milwaukee, the cities being some 90 miles apart. The midpoint on both sides of the line have activities placed there due to the locale being one that could serve serve both markets: Great America amusement park, an indoor waterpark and resort, and Gurnee Mills, a huge mainly outlet mall, all three in Gurnee, are there for that reason. Kenosha's outlet malls, cheese shops and other tourist attractions is there for the same reason.

• the only city outside of Chicago where the Windy City's Italian beef and Chicago dog are regulars on the local menus is in Milwaukee.

Old 08-01-2019, 09:13 AM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Now, can you please set up a new thread which is made up of tag teams in the ring in the middle and put it on air....
I can’t even begin to figure out what this means, but I feel like you might be missing the point.

I’m not boosting Providence or claiming it to be better than Baltimore, Louisville, Pittsburgh or any of the other cities you listed. There are individual threads dedicated to those comparisons already if you want to peruse them.

I’m just saying that as far as non-MSA city relationships go, the one between Boston and Providence is much more close, historic, established, and stable than the ones between DC and Baltimore or between Chicago and Milwaukee.

Old 08-01-2019, 09:13 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,896,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnobbishDude View Post
Neither of the above.

LA and NYC have the closest, best relationship
Please......, Stop the " Trolling."

Old 08-01-2019, 12:02 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,862,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
You're taking the thread off topic again.

The Census is a valid measurement of population statistics. It pairs some metro areas together in some statistics. You are the one who needs that fact sink in. I only come on this site correcting people who make false statements about the region in which I live, specifically with regards to numbers and what can be proven on paper.

I have no care or desire to defend the belabored point of who lives in the North or South. This has nothing to do with numbers. I know where I live, and I know what part of the country I and the people closest to me represent. I have no problems with those who characterize the DC region as North or South. A smart person would realize that in 2020 people don't even view the divisions of only North and South like that, it's broken down way more than that. Continue to enjoy the same debate on that topic with the people on C-D. I live in the real world.

So to sum up this thread DC-Baltimore have the closet relationship out of the cities in the poll.

Who's next up?
So why did you respond to my post if it was so off-topic? You apply more double-standards than any poster on this site. It’s really weird...

Old 08-01-2019, 12:49 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:
So why did you respond to my post if it was so off-topic? You apply more double-standards than any poster on this site. It’s really weird...
What are you talking about? Post #47 of the thread you threw the thread off topic. Turning this into a North vs South debate which it is not. Kodeblue took the bait per usual and continued the off topic comments.

Quote:
Nah....Baltimore and Maryland have always been officially classified as Southern by the US Census:

https://www2.census.gov/geo/pdfs/map.../us_regdiv.pdf

I don't throw throw threads off topic nor keep them off topic. I only correct or interject when valid points need to be made. And I do acknowledge the Census designation as much as I acknowledge the 9 or 10 supporting links I posted as a reply with either businesses or organizations referring to the area as the either Mid-Atlantic or Northeast. Leaving that point moot since there is no more to discuss there.

Back on topic, after the DC-Baltimore relationship, which of these places makes up the closest relationship in your view?

Last edited by the resident09; 08-01-2019 at 12:58 PM..

Old 08-01-2019, 12:54 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,453,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Parts of the Chicago-Milwaukee dynamics:

• In the 1950s, the Boston Braves moved to Milwaukee. during this era, the Chicago Tribune thought the team was part of Chicago. When NL and AL standings were listed, all were in lower case except for three teams, Cubs, White Sox, Braves....which were written CHICAGO, CHICAGO, MILWAUKEE
Fascinating? Was this in the Tribune distributed in both cities, or just Milwaukee? The reason I ask is because we had a subscription to the Los Angeles Times-San Diego edition growing up. I can’t recall if our teams were in CAPS with the LA teams, but they did have features/stories that I’m sure weren’t in the regular LA edition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City