Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Milwaukee vs Louisville
Milwaukee 55 70.51%
Louisville 23 29.49%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2019, 03:58 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post

Milwaukee: 97 sq mi

Louisville: 398 sq mi

https://publicpolicyforum.org/blog/d...etro-milwaukee

"It finds Milwaukee among the densest metropolitan areas in the U.S., with greater population density than many of the nation’s most populous metros, including Atlanta, Houston, and Seattle. n 2010, the Milwaukee metropolitan area – comprised of Milwaukee, Ozaukee, Washington, and Waukesha counties – ranked 15th in population density among the 102 metro areas in the U.S. with populations over 500,000, with a density of 5,258 persons per square mile. Milwaukee was second only to Chicago among Midwest metros."

http://worldpopulationreview.com/us-...le-population/

"Louisville has an estimated population of 755,000 or 626,000 in the city proper excluding the consolidated community. The city has a population density of 1836 people per square mile."

I live in a suburb and our density is 8,400 psm.

You dismiss everything that doesn't fit your narrative and treat your opinion as fact. Sorry C-D posters prefer Milwaukee. No one has even said anything bad about Louisville yet you're so defensive (on the offensive).
That's cool...using that criteria, Louisville is a substantially larger city. Louisville is a growing city, while Milwaukee loses population.

Louisville[l]
Kentucky
+3.81%
263.5 sq mi

Milwaukee
Wisconsin
−0.47%
96.2 sq mi

You also posted way misleading data. 398 sq mi is ALL of Jefferson County which now has a population of 770 to 800k depending on estimates (the city claims closer to 800k). You know Louisville is a merged government so not a good comparison.

Me posting that is just as disingenuous as you posting what you did, however. We all know MSA is the fairest and best way to compare cities. That's universally accepted on CD and has been for years. You know better.

Old 08-07-2019, 04:15 PM

5,294 posts, read 6,060,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post

Me posting that is just as disingenuous as you posting what you did, however. We all know MSA is the fairest and best way to compare cities. That's universally accepted on CD and has been for years. You know better.
In this case MSA is not. Louisvilles MSA covers more land area with 750k less people than Milwaukee's CSA. That's pretty telling. Louisville is significantly smaller, but the poll results reflect that.

Old 08-07-2019, 04:57 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Milwaukee definitely seems denser and more walkable than Louisville does from my perspective as a tourist trying to hit some hotspots. One thing I think is quite good about Milwaukee is what appears to be a fairly extensive and rather frequent bus system. There’s a streetcar now which has a pretty stumpy path, but perhaps it’ll grow soon.

Anyhow, these are great cities. I would love to see a decent passenger rail service connecting the two via Indianapolis and Chicago.

Old 08-07-2019, 05:46 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,887,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Milwaukee definitely seems denser and more walkable than Louisville does from my perspective as a tourist trying to hit some hotspots. One thing I think is quite good about Milwaukee is what appears to be a fairly extensive and rather frequent bus system. There’s a streetcar now which has a pretty stumpy path, but perhaps it’ll grow soon.

Anyhow, these are great cities. I would love to see a decent passenger rail service connecting the two via Indianapolis and Chicago.
Well, the Hiawatha makes 7 trips a day between Milwaukee and Chicago, and this will be increased to 10 per day, within the next couple of years. There's that.

Old 08-07-2019, 05:57 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
In this case MSA is not. Louisvilles MSA covers more land area with 750k less people than Milwaukee's CSA. That's pretty telling. Louisville is significantly smaller, but the poll results reflect that.
MSA is still the best way to compare the two. It certainly wouldn't be using municipal statistics.

Urbanized area population is probably the best metric to use in terms of size comparisons, but the Census doesn't produce annual estimates and the latest figures we have are from the last Census, nearly a decade ago.

Old 08-07-2019, 06:13 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,887,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
MSA is still the best way to compare the two. It certainly wouldn't be using municipal statistics.

Urbanized area population is probably the best metric to use in terms of size comparisons, but the Census doesn't produce annual estimates and the latest figures we have are from the last Census, nearly a decade ago.
Milwaukee's MSA and CSA are, pretty much, the same. VERY little difference in population between the two.

Old 08-07-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post

Understood, and agreed about MSA’s. The point I am illustrating is that you can fit all of Milwaukee’s statistical areas inside the boundaries of Louisville’s MSA. That show’s a very immediate difference between density and sphere of influence.

Old 08-07-2019, 07:50 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Understood, and agreed about MSA’s. The point I am illustrating is that you can fit all of Milwaukee’s statistical areas inside the boundaries of Louisville’s MSA. That show’s a very immediate difference between density and sphere of influence.
So...when I do this to show Louisville's MSA is THOUSANDS (3000 or more) of square miles less than Nashville (as an example), I am ridiculed, lambasted, and voted off the island? I have repeatedly stated lets give Louisville over 7k sq miles and it will be well over 2 million to include Lexington et all.

But now we have a mod trying to make Louisville look smaller than it is using similar (but worse) tactics by comparing one city's CSA to another's MSA and its all cool and equal? Should it also be disclosed that said mod is a huge grand rapids booster?

You guys will wake up in 5-10 years and realize Louisville has even passed Milwaukee. Mark those words down. In the eyes of many, it already has, especially as a destination. Why else would Louisville have more hotel rooms and a much more robust Airbnb market together? None of you realize the game changer that is bourbon. Again, I am not saying Milwaukee is the same size as Louisville. It's CLEARLY BIGGER....but BARELY. The two cities are very very close. The results of this poll reflect an ignorance of Louisville since 2015 and also disdain for my Louisville evangelization by several Midwest based, legacy city proponents.

However, off these boards, Louisville has been discovered. I am even starting to see annoying bacherlotte parties at some of my favorite hipster dive bars. Truth be told, I feel like I pioneered Louisville and my wife and I have contemplated moving again. I have lived and traveled all over. I typically do that alot. I like the underdog city and its no longer Louisville.

Old 08-07-2019, 07:56 PM

Quote:
So...when I do this to show Louisville's MSA is THOUSANDS (3000 or more) of square miles less than Nashville (as an example), I am ridiculed, lambasted, and voted off the island? I have repeatedly stated lets give Louisville over 7k sq miles and it will be well over 2 million to include Lexington et all.
Lexington isn't in Louisville's CSA. That wouldn't be a statistic. All Milwaukee needs is less than land area than Louisville's MSA to be over 2million people. Louisville needs to be quite a bit larger than Connecticut to get there, that was my point

Last edited by mjlo; 08-07-2019 at 08:17 PM..

Old 08-07-2019, 08:54 PM

592 posts, read 591,029 times
Quote:

But now we have a mod trying to make Louisville look smaller than it is using similar (but worse) tactics by comparing one city's CSA to another's MSA and its all cool and equal? Should it also be disclosed that said mod is a huge grand rapids booster?

You guys will wake up in 5-10 years and realize Louisville has even passed Milwaukee. Mark those words down. In the eyes of many, it already has, especially as a destination. Why else would Louisville have more hotel rooms and a much more robust Airbnb market together? None of you realize the game changer that is bourbon. Again, I am not saying Milwaukee is the same size as Louisville. It's CLEARLY BIGGER....but BARELY. The two cities are very very close. The results of this poll reflect an ignorance of Louisville since 2015 and also disdain for my Louisville evangelization by several Midwest based, legacy city proponents.

However, off these boards, Louisville has been discovered. I am even starting to see annoying bacherlotte parties at some of my favorite hipster dive bars. Truth be told, I feel like I pioneered Louisville and my wife and I have contemplated moving again. I have lived and traveled all over. I typically do that alot. I like the underdog city and its no longer Louisville.
Your facts are a little misleading here. Yes, Nashville's MSA currently includes huge swaths of land, mainly due to people from rural counties commuting into the MSA for work opportunities, however some of these rural counties are very sparsely populated. I typically consider only the core counties as part of its MSA, eight counties with a combined area to a little over 5000 sq miles with a population 1,875,580. Keep in mind, some of these counties have huge land areas with the population clustering along the highways while the remainder of the county being rural farmland or dense forests.

Last edited by jkc2j; 08-07-2019 at 10:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City