Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Milwaukee vs Louisville
Milwaukee 55 70.51%
Louisville 23 29.49%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2019, 09:38 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,508,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
I love how you all breezed over the fact that Louisville has the number one hotel demand growth in the USA....just another Peterism, right hahahaha.
Says here the bump in demand growth, calculated on a smaller base of rooms (19K), to 11% was due primarily to 1000 rooms opening up, including the Omni. In comparison, Nashville have 5600 rooms under construction at this moment, but that's compared to 42K rooms. https://www.wdrb.com/news/louisville...025e08d60.html

https://www.wdrb.com/news/hotel-boom...934145665.html

So just comparing the two (and safe to assume it's true with other boomtowns) Louisville's increase may be larger than all other cities in the year a brand new convention center hotel was completed, but the total room demand still pales in comparison. And will the growth be sustained? Not to be misunderstood, it is a nice start but hardly makes a boom.

Old 08-04-2019, 09:45 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinestx View Post
Says here the bump in demand growth, calculated on a smaller base of rooms (19K), to 11% was due primarily to 1000 rooms opening up, including the Omni. In comparison, Nashville have 5600 rooms under construction at this moment, but that's compared to 42K rooms. https://www.wdrb.com/news/louisville...025e08d60.html

https://www.wdrb.com/news/hotel-boom...934145665.html

So just comparing the two (and safe to assume it's true with other boomtowns) Louisville's increase may be larger than all other cities in the year a brand new convention center hotel was completed, but the total room demand still pales in comparison. And will the growth be sustained? Not to be misunderstood, it is a nice start but hardly makes a boom.
Nice try trolling in Nashville. This has nothing to do with that town which is clearly probably the number one boomtown. No one is disputing that so relax

But you are using old and misleading data:

https://www.wave3.com/2019/08/01/chu...enue-track-by/

"Louisville Tourism says there are currently 20,478 hotel rooms in Louisville, more than 2,400 of which have been added in the past 18 months. Not counting the announcement of Churchill’s hotel, 1,664 rooms are currently under construction (534 rooms downtown and 470 rooms in the airport/Expo area)."

This doesn't count the three new hotels announced in the last week anyways. Louisville has a hotel boom and it's a statistical fact. I can tell you Louisville has THOUSANDS more in proposed rooms too. I can think of 6 off the top of my head proposed or in the works downtown alone.

Despite all this, Louisville remains the second most popular Airbnb market in the midwest

https://wfpl.org/airbnb-regs-roll-lo...hosts-midwest/

Milwaukee has 71,000 Airbnb guests in 2018
https://biztimes.com/airbnb-expects-...commencements/

Louisville had 124,000

https://www.bizjournals.com/louisvil...sville-in.html

Why? The southeast, and particularly Louisville and bourbon are a bigger tourism draw. No one from Louisville is saying, "Hey lets go to Milwaukee." But many folks from up north are driving south.

Old 08-04-2019, 09:51 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,888,160 times
Good grief. I have to get out of this, as it's getting a bit ridiculous. Louisville is the be-all, end-all, greatest in the world, this and that (as is evidenced by the poll numbers). Don't forget to take a look at the list of "third" graders that I provided, though. Or, don't, and just think you know better.

Old 08-04-2019, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Good grief. I have to get out of this, as it's getting a bit ridiculous. Louisville is the be-all, end-all, greatest in the world, this and that (as is evidenced by the poll numbers). Don't forget to take a look at the list of "third" graders that I provided, though. Or, don't, and just think you know it all.
I sat and watched the poll jump by 6 points for Milwaukee with no increase in page views. Its being manipulated in classic city-data fashion.

I never said Louisville is the be all end all. Far from it. Lots of flaws in the city too, namely increasing homeless and crime with the new growth. However, Milwaukee has all these problems and then some. Pick one or the other, but the cities are on pretty equal footing. I'll post a density pic of Louisville comparable to the one of Milwaukee from the lake. Both are really pretty towns actually.

Old 08-04-2019, 10:04 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,888,160 times
Quote:
I sat and watched the poll jump by 6 points for Milwaukee with no increase in page views. Its being manipulated in classic city-data fashion.

I never said Louisville is the be all end all. Far from it. Lots of flaws in the city too, namely increasing homeless and crime with the new growth. However, Milwaukee has all these problems and then some. Pick one or the other, but the cities are on pretty equal footing. I'll post a density pic of Louisville comparable to the one of Milwaukee from the lake. Both are really pretty towns actually.
My pic was of the lake, not density. Milwaukee is very densely populated Louisville, is average.

Old 08-04-2019, 10:05 PM

5,294 posts, read 6,060,659 times
Quote:
This is a very serious accusation. The only members with the ability to manipulate polls like that are moderators. The only poll I have ever seen physically altered by a moderator was a poll involving Cleveland Vs. Louisville, and that poll was edited in favor of Louisville, by a person who is no longer a moderator. I can find no evidence of moderator interference in this poll. However if you feel this needs to be investigated further please approach senior moderation instead of using it as a defense tactic in the thread.

Last edited by mjlo; 08-04-2019 at 10:14 PM..

Old 08-04-2019, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
This is a very serious accusation. The only members with the ability to manipulate polls like that are moderators. The only poll I have ever seen physically altered by a moderator was a poll involving Cleveland Vs. Louisville, and that poll was edited in favor of Louisville, by a person who is no longer a moderator. I can find no evidence of moderator interference in this poll. However if you feel this needs to be investigated further please approach senior moderation instead of using it as a defense tactic in the thread.
The fact is the poll jumped by 6 points with no increase in page views. I sat and saw it happen. Very interesting. I didn't accuse anything, just made an observation. Also, it seems to me we have a moderator trying to publicly call out someone with out any statistical evidence of their claim, and various members teaming up on a poster with for example, name calling that was allowed.

I recall being called "delusional" upthread. That didn't seem to bother anyone.

It's very clear that legacy city CD boosters are bothered by the success of cities in the southeast, for whatever reasons. Thanks to everyone for probably getting this thread closed. Hopefully normal people can have a normal discussion about two great cities in the future.

Old 08-04-2019, 10:35 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,288,838 times
Quote:
The fact is the poll jumped by 6 points with no increase in page views. I sat and saw it happen. Very interesting. I didn't accuse anything, just made an observation. Also, it seems to me we have a moderator trying to publicly call out someone with out any statistical evidence of their claim, and various members teaming up on a poster with for example, name calling that was allowed.

I recall being called "delusional" upthread. That didn't seem to bother anyone.

It's very clear that legacy city CD boosters are bothered by the success of cities in the southeast, for whatever reasons. Thanks to everyone for probably getting this thread closed. Hopefully normal people can have a normal discussion about two great cities in the future.
It's not that serious..... lol

Old 08-04-2019, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
It's not that serious..... lol
I agree but when a group of people pile onto one poster, it's not really cool. The fact is, both these cities are very comparable and deserving to be in Yelp's boomtown ratings. Both have alot of new retail and restaurants with good reviews which is probably why Yelp ranked them high. In the 90s Milwaukee was a one horse town. A recent visit for Summerfest showed me the most underrated legacy city in the Midwest. Milwaukee may be smaller than most older Midwest towns, but I prefer it almost over any.

Louisville is also a great city in its own right but I think all the growth metrics show 2020s will really be a great decade for Lville.

Old 08-04-2019, 10:45 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,508,225 times
Quote:
Nice try trolling in Nashville. This has nothing to do with that town which is clearly probably the number one boomtown. No one is disputing that so relax

But you are using old and misleading data:

https://www.wave3.com/2019/08/01/chu...enue-track-by/

"Louisville Tourism says there are currently 20,478 hotel rooms in Louisville, more than 2,400 of which have been added in the past 18 months. Not counting the announcement of Churchill’s hotel, 1,664 rooms are currently under construction (534 rooms downtown and 470 rooms in the airport/Expo area)."

This doesn't count the three new hotels announced in the last week anyways. Louisville has a hotel boom and it's a statistical fact. I can tell you Louisville has THOUSANDS more in proposed rooms too. I can think of 6 off the top of my head proposed or in the works downtown alone.

Despite all this, Louisville remains the second most popular Airbnb market in the midwest

https://wfpl.org/airbnb-regs-roll-lo...hosts-midwest/

Milwaukee has 71,000 Airbnb guests in 2018
https://biztimes.com/airbnb-expects-...commencements/

Louisville had 124,000

https://www.bizjournals.com/louisvil...sville-in.html

Why? The southeast, and particularly Louisville and bourbon are a bigger tourism draw. No one from Louisville is saying, "Hey lets go to Milwaukee." But many folks from up north are driving south.
You didn't disprove my point, which is actually stated in the links provided. But I wasn't the person who first brought up Nashville. Yet, you compared Louisville to a boomtown. I happen to know the data for Nashville. So that was my point of reference. The PWC numbers used by the CBRE report back them up. Let's see if your claim about Louisville carries over to the current year. And Peter, you do have a reputation on this CD board for inflating 'stats'.

All the AirBnB numbers say is that Louisville has one huge event in May and not enough hotels to accommodate them that week. You said yourself, Derby draws about 7X that number. In fact the three times I've been to Derby I stayed at a house; first college classmate of my girlfriend; second was with a friend of mine who lived in Louisville at the time (I married his sister); then a house that was rented by two business associates who live in Nashville and Cincy. That was before AirBnB existed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City