Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Milwaukee vs Louisville
Milwaukee 55 70.51%
Louisville 23 29.49%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2019, 08:04 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times

Advertisements

Let's just not talk core....where in Milwauke has a booming suburb like this one:

https://www.cnu.org/what-we-do/build...norton-commons

How many times has the congress on new urbanism visited Milwaukee? Looks like just once 20 years ago!

Old 08-04-2019, 08:04 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,626,477 times
Milwaukee and it's not close. Unfair poll.*

Old 08-04-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Milwaukee and it's not close. Unfair poll.*
How so? In what ways? On paper these cities are virtually the same .

Also anyone implying Louisville's downtown is not in a building boom is lying:

https://www.wave3.com/2018/10/05/pop...tion-downtown/

Apartment units have grown a whopping 39% in under two years. Milwaukee and Louisville are both adding thousands of downtown units. Unlike Milwaukee, downtown isn't Louisville's top area....that's the Highlands.

Old 08-04-2019, 08:14 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,888,160 times
"Milwaukee’s RiverWalk has won a 2017-2018 Global Award of Excellence from the Urban Land Institute (ULI)."

"This award is considered among the world’s highest honors from land use experts. It is one of thirteen development projects in North America, Europe and Asia to receive this recognition."

The above, I copied and pasted from an article from WTMJ of Milwaukee. I had not known this, and am pretty impressed. The Riverwalk is amazing, and if anyone cares to take a look, I posted pictures in a previous post.

I agree with Big Lake, that it's an "unfair" poll. Milwaukee is larger, has two professional sports teams, the lakefront, proximity to Chicago (a plus, not a minus), and an amazing downtown, that keeps growing. I don't think it's two or three levels above Louisville, but it is, easily, a level above. Also, population density in Milwaukee is quite a bit higher than Louisville.

Old 08-04-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
"Milwaukee’s RiverWalk has won a 2017-2018 Global Award of Excellence from the Urban Land Institute (ULI)."

"This award is considered among the world’s highest honors from land use experts. It is one of thirteen development projects in North America, Europe and Asia to receive this recognition."

The above, I copied and pasted from an article from WTMJ of Milwaukee. I had not known this, and am pretty impressed. The Riverwalk is amazing, and if anyone cares to take a look, I posted pictures in a previous post.

I agree with Big Lake, that it's an "unfair" poll. Milwaukee is larger, has two professional sports teams, the lakefront, proximity to Chicago (a plus, not a minus), and an amazing downtown, that keeps growing. I don't think it's two or three levels above Louisville, but it is, easily, a level above. Also, population density in Milwaukee is quite a bit higher than Louisville.
You are kidding me right? Waterfront Park in Louisville was named one of the top 10 urban parks in the USA by the Urban Land Institute....many years before that Milwaukee award:

"One recent accolade that is quite a feather in the cap for our community is the ULI’s designation in 2006 of Waterfront Park as one of the Top Ten Urban Parks in the nation. Waterfront Park has won a number of awards, and in 2006 was named one of the Top Ten Urban Parks in the nation by the Urban Land Institute."

https://louisvillewaterfront.com/abo...oject-history/

Louisville City soccer is very much a pro team, currently vying for MLS. UofL sports are every bit the same entertainment as the Bucks especially.

Louisville's Big Four Walking bridge is incredible:

https://www.kentuckytourism.com/big-...strian-bridge/

The Ohio River greenway is very comparable to Milwaukee's lakefront trails:

Ohio River Greenway – Development Commission

Old 08-04-2019, 08:24 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,888,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
You are kidding me right? Waterfront Park in Louisville was named one of the top 10 urban parks in the USA by the Urban Land Institute....many years before that Milwaukee award:

"One recent accolade that is quite a feather in the cap for our community is the ULI’s designation in 2006 of Waterfront Park as one of the Top Ten Urban Parks in the nation. Waterfront Park has won a number of awards, and in 2006 was named one of the Top Ten Urban Parks in the nation by the Urban Land Institute."

https://louisvillewaterfront.com/abo...oject-history/

Louisville City soccer is very much a pro team, currently vying for MLS. UofL sports are every bit the same entertainment as the Bucks especially.

Louisville's Big Four Walking bridge is incredible:

https://www.kentuckytourism.com/big-...strian-bridge/

The Ohio River greenway is very comparable to Milwaukee's lakefront trails:

Ohio River Greenway – Development Commission
Milwaukee has a lakefront that looks like an ocean. Downtown goes right down to the lakefront....that's a huge plus. The award I spoke of, is one of 10 urban parks in the WORLD, not the US. I don't believe you've been to Milwaukee recently, because you don't seem to have a clue. Also, I'll put the Milwaukee Bucks up against your soccer team, and see which one gets more accolades.

Old 08-04-2019, 08:25 PM

730 posts, read 814,937 times
Quote:
I love how you all breezed over the fact that Louisville has the number one hotel demand growth in the USA....just another Peterism, right hahahaha.
That article you posted was for Q1 one-year growth. The study for Q2 one-year growth (2018-2019) doesn't even mention Louisville. But it does mention Milwaukee:

8th fastest growing in US for hotel demand growth
4th fastest growing in US for hotel occupancy growth
2nd fastest growing in US for hotel RevPAR growth
8th fastest growing in US for ADR growth

https://www.cbre.com/research-and-re...igures-Q2-2019

Old 08-04-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloHome View Post
That article you posted was for Q1 one-year growth. The study for Q2 one-year growth (2018-2019) doesn't even mention Louisville. But it does mention Milwaukee:

8th fastest growing in US for hotel demand growth
4th fastest growing in US for hotel occupancy growth
2nd fastest growing in US for hotel RevPAR growth
8th fastest growing in US for ADR growth

https://www.cbre.com/research-and-re...igures-Q2-2019
Please post the article as it must be behind a pay wall. The link you posted says zilch about Milwaukee. Milwaukee simply isn't adding hotels like Louisville. It just isn't. Don't get me wrong, I was just in town and there is a lot of hotels, but not the 30 Louisville has being built.

Now we have people really trying to show that a stagnant growth metro (milwaukee at 1.3%) is growing like a moderate growth metro (Louisville at 5%).

CD never ceases to amaze me!

Old 08-04-2019, 08:36 PM

5,294 posts, read 6,060,659 times
Quote:
Please post the article as it must be behind a pay wall. The link you posted says zilch about Milwaukee. Milwaukee simply isn't adding hotels like Louisville. It just isn't. Don't get me wrong, I was just in town and there is a lot of hotels, but not the 30 Louisville has being built.

Now we have people really trying to show that a stagnant growth metro (milwaukee at 1.3%) is growing like a moderate growth metro (Louisville at 5%).

CD never ceases to amaze me!
I think what it shows more than anything is that almost every major metro is seeing significant investments regardless of population and economic statistics. That no matter how it's painted Louisville is not unique in this regard. One of the highlights from the CBRE Q2 hotel report show's that Dayton Ohio had the largest year over year demand hotel increase for Q2. Dayton is also experiencing significant investments and turnaround but is also not a boomtown. I think it's a good example of how statistics or snapshots can be used for boosting, but don't really paint accurate pictures of what's happening on the streets.

Old 08-04-2019, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I think what it shows more than anything is that almost every major metro is seeing significant investments regardless of population and economic statistics. That no matter how it's painted Louisville is not unique in this regard. One of the highlights from the CBRE Q2 hotel report show's that Dayton Ohio had the largest year over year demand hotel increase for Q2. Dayton is also experiencing significant investments and turnaround but is also not a boomtown. I think it's a good example of how statistics or snapshots can be used for boosting, but don't really paint accurate pictures of what's happening on the streets.
Come on man. You know Dayton is STAGNANT. You know better sir. To use it as an example here is way out in left field.

I am not claiming Milwaukee is stagnant. But it simply isn't growing nearly like Louisville, and I think all signs are in the 2020's Louisivlle will pull away.

Louisville's run up in the last couple years is nothing short of impressive.

Let's look at GMP growth percentage....Milwaukee's percentage is flat compared to Louisville:

http://www.usmayors.org/wp-content/u...ept-2017-1.pdf

(see page 3)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City