Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Milwaukee vs Louisville
Milwaukee 55 70.51%
Louisville 23 29.49%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2019, 08:44 AM

4,530 posts, read 5,101,574 times

Advertisements

Louisville has got a lot going for it in terms of walkability -- which I believe is actually better than Milwaukee, but overall, Milwaukee just has more going for it in terms of being a 'major' city.

Old 08-07-2019, 09:38 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,346,611 times
I don't dislike Louisville, but Milwaukee is clearly the better city in this poll. It's just simply a lot larger and more prominent so there is more to do. And its lakefront location is much better than Louisville's riverfront.

Old 08-07-2019, 12:05 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,743,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I don't know, quite a few places get adjusted up after the fact. Those numbers were taken directly from the census bureau estimates page. Growth trends still show a slow down for Louisville. It would be quite the adjustment for 2018 if they were revised higher than the 17 numbers. If that's the case then we can't trust the estimates for pretty much anywhere.
How is one year a trend? If other years got revised up (as the clearly did if % went up), I'd expect 2018 to do so.

My own wife is still a FL resident even though we have lived mostly full time in Louisville a few years. Lots of Florida Louisvillians.

Old 08-07-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I don't dislike Louisville, but Milwaukee is clearly the better city in this poll. It's just simply a lot larger and more prominent so there is more to do. And its lakefront location is much better than Louisville's riverfront.
How so? With the exception of pro sports....what is so great to do in Milwaukee you cannot do in Louisville?

Old 08-07-2019, 12:44 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,346,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
How so? With the exception of pro sports....what is so great to do in Milwaukee you cannot do in Louisville?
Pro sports.

Much better downtown and urban footprint than Louisville. Like much better than anything Louisville can offer.

While nothing super robust, it has a streetcar; meanwhile Louisville continues to focus on expanding freeways and ignoring public transit.

I've heard good things about the Public Market there.

Milwaukee has a functioning inter-city rail station.

Milwaukee Airport has 8 airlines. Louisville has 6. Milwaukee has direct flights to 42 destinations. 12 are seasonal. 8 are international. Louisville has direct flights to 27 destinations. The website does not state which are seasonal, but I'm sure some are. None of the destinations are international.

Milwaukee has an actual beach right in the city. Louisville has a river that's covered by a freeway that's disgusting and floods all the time.

While not important to some, the shopping in Milwaukee is better. I personally can't afford Nordstrom, but the fact that Milwaukee has one is significant.

Milwaukee has 2 Whole Foods and 2 Trader Joe's. Louisville has one of each.

Again, a lot of this is due to size. For its size, Louisville is good. But Milwaukee is just a larger and more important city.

Last edited by jessemh431; 08-07-2019 at 01:17 PM..

Old 08-07-2019, 01:27 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,888,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Pro sports.

Much better downtown and urban footprint than Louisville. Like much better than anything Louisville can offer.

While nothing super robust, it has a streetcar; meanwhile Louisville continues to focus on expanding freeways and ignoring public transit.

I've heard good things about the Public Market there.

Milwaukee has a functioning inter-city rail station.

Milwaukee Airport has 8 airlines. Louisville has 6. Milwaukee has direct flights to 42 destinations. 12 are seasonal. 8 are international. Louisville has direct flights to 27 destinations. The website does not state which are seasonal, but I'm sure some are. None of the destinations are international.

Milwaukee has an actual beach right in the city. Louisville has a river that's covered by a freeway that's disgusting and floods all the time.

While not important to some, the shopping in Milwaukee is better. I personally can't afford Nordstrom, but the fact that Milwaukee has one is significant.

Milwaukee has 2 Whole Foods and 2 Trader Joe's. Louisville has one.

Again, a lot of this is due to size. For its size, Louisville is good. But Milwaukee is just a larger and more important city.
Some good points. If Milwaukee wasn't so close to Chicago, its airport would have more airlines. BTW, another will be added by year's end, with more direct flights. Article in JSOnline, yesterday. One thing I love about Milwaukee, is its proximity to Chicago. Also, Milwaukee would be larger, but some of its MSA has been lost to Chicago. I think, eventually, the two cities, although connected now, will be one big urban area. The advantage for Milwaukee, in this would be lower taxes and homes aren't quite as expensive as in Chicago. I think business will continue to come Milwaukee's way.

When I lived in Milwaukee, I would go to Chicago for an afternoon of lunch and whatever, and then back to Milwaukee for dinner. Same thing in reverse, when I lived in Chicago.

Another advantage is the river that runs through downtown. I linked to photos before, but will do so, again. Also, Lake Michigan...downtown goes right up to it.

Downtown Milwaukee on the shores of Lake Michigan...

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0521.../data=!3m1!1e3

A bit of the Milwaukee River, that helps make downtown vital.

https://www.google.com/search?q=milw...d2a0oA_BglAOM:

Honestly, to me, it's got a lot to do with the water element. Milwaukee is the only city that is similar to Chicago, as far as the Lake and a river downtown.

Old 08-07-2019, 01:54 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,081 times
I never had anything against Louisville before but the incessant boosting by Peter certainly does not make me want to visit anytime soon. Who are you trying to convince?

Old 08-07-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
I never had anything against Louisville before but the incessant boosting by Peter certainly does not make me want to visit anytime soon. Who are you trying to convince?
It's not boostering. It is getting facts straight. Lot of misinformation out there about Louisville.

Louisville has less flights because it's market share passengers with Cincinnati and Lexington. In most regions these cities are nearly close enough to be considered one metro area.

Milwaukee is "close" to Chicago but it really isn't. It can take HOURS to get into the actual city of Chicago with traffic. That never occurs Louisville to Cincinnati. I have been to Milwaukee a zillion times. I grew up in north Chicago. Milwaukee is not any more impressive than Louisville. Slightly more urban yes...but SUBSTANTIALLY MORE IMPESSIVE? no way! At the end of the day....a midsized city. If Louisville is "blown away" by Milwaukee, then you need to admit Louisville "blows away" Omaha. The fact is, neither statement is true.

I saw the new Milwaukee streetcar when at Summerfest this year....so if a one (or two) mile tiny streetcar makes Milwaukee more urban? Give me a break Jesse. I think your beef with Louisville was it wasn't LA or Philly. Louisville's two free circulator buses provide the exact same service over more miles (Loulift).

City data in general treats Louisville much smaller than it is. It's very urban and walkable especially among core neighborhoods which are tightly connected and growing into each other.

Louisville has more than 27 flights by the way. Several more. The stupid airport website doesn't even list the direct flight to Los Angeles! I have also taken direct flights from Louisville to Myrtle Beach and New Orleans MYSELF. So I am sure there are others. There's 30 off the top of my head. Louisville also DOES have season international flights. Cancun is most common and also not listed.

Louisville International Airport (SDF). Where do you want to go today?Louisville Regional Airport Authority (list is WAY WAY OLD)

https://www.google.com/search?source...4dUDCAc&uact=5

I can go on and on about the misrepresentations of Louisville here. Only Jessem really knows the city but even he has not see the explosive construction/flight and other growth since he left. What am I trying to prove? These are two comparable cities. Its great some prefer Milwaukee, but comparing them isn'ta stretch, not in the least. Just as no one bats two eyes comparing Louisville to Omaha...and they shouldn't.

Shopping isn't better in Milwaukee. Give me a break Jesse. Where is Milwaukee's Gucci? https://www.gucci.com/us/en/store . Shopping is virtually equal. Rodes may not be "nationally known" but has better brands in some cases than Milwaukee's Nordstrom. Heck I think Louisville's Von Maur is very comparable (its the top Von Maur in the USA).

Milwaukee has two Whole Foods and TJ? WHO CARES? LMAO...the reason for that is simple, the geography of the city. Louisville is more compact and concentric...Milwaukee is developed along the lake north to south. I have a valid comeback for every post you make.

Old 08-07-2019, 02:22 PM

I also already showed Louisville has a public market opening soon....Logan Street Public Market. There will be 30 vendors, should be great.

https://loganstmarket.com/

Old 08-07-2019, 02:28 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post

Milwaukee has two Whole Foods and TJ? WHO CARES? LMAO...the reason for that is simple, the geography of the city. Louisville is more compact and concentric...Milwaukee is developed along the lake north to south. I have a valid comeback for every post you make.

Milwaukee: 97 sq mi

Louisville: 398 sq mi

https://publicpolicyforum.org/blog/d...etro-milwaukee

"It finds Milwaukee among the densest metropolitan areas in the U.S., with greater population density than many of the nation’s most populous metros, including Atlanta, Houston, and Seattle. n 2010, the Milwaukee metropolitan area – comprised of Milwaukee, Ozaukee, Washington, and Waukesha counties – ranked 15th in population density among the 102 metro areas in the U.S. with populations over 500,000, with a density of 5,258 persons per square mile. Milwaukee was second only to Chicago among Midwest metros."

http://worldpopulationreview.com/us-...le-population/

"Louisville has an estimated population of 755,000 or 626,000 in the city proper excluding the consolidated community. The city has a population density of 1836 people per square mile."

I live in a suburb and our density is 8,400 psm.

You dismiss everything that doesn't fit your narrative and treat your opinion as fact. Sorry C-D posters prefer Milwaukee. No one has even said anything bad about Louisville yet you're so defensive (on the offensive).

Last edited by Vegabern; 08-07-2019 at 02:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City