Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Milwaukee vs Louisville
Milwaukee 55 70.51%
Louisville 23 29.49%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 09:36 PM

9,681 posts, read 9,398,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
So slightly below average. Thanks for correction. I didn't really take time to go through each one. Certainly much higher than Milwaukee. However, I never contended Louisville was booming in population. That's typical city data folks putting words in mouths. I do think it is booming in construction, development, and tourism. Plenty of literature on that.

As I said in another thread, relax, the boomtowns are safe! I do think Louisville has a chance to boom in population....Louisville's problem is its west side. Without pulling exact numbers, the eastern half of the city growing by 10-20%....the west and SW is in decline....if Louisville can find a way to bring economic prosperity to all (LOTS of development underway in West Louisville areas which haven't seen major development in decades), watch out for Louisville.
How are the suburbs of each city? I am more familiar with Louisville's. It would be interesting to see how their growth rates are, including population and job growth.

Old 08-05-2019, 10:10 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,891,242 times
Quote:
As an example of underreported urban renaissance, look at Louisville's new permanent indoor food hall and farmer's market:

https://ediblelouisville.ediblecommu...et-improvement

https://loganstmarket.com/

Opening I think pushed back a few weeks due to construction delays.

This is very much as good or better than similar places in any major city. In my opinion it will be an updated version of Milwaukee Public Market. Maybe not better, but a bit more contemporary....think indoor urban food trucks...a food market meets food hall.

I am just not seeing much Milwaukee has that Louisville doesn't unless you are hellbent on NBA basketball.
Oops, you forgot an MLB team, as well. Oh, and they have a new food hall. AND, they host the DNC next year.

Old 08-06-2019, 05:47 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
How are the suburbs of each city? I am more familiar with Louisville's. It would be interesting to see how their growth rates are, including population and job growth.
That will be hard to do....Louisville doesn't have as many well defined suburbs since something like half the MSA lives in the core county, and the city of Louisville annexed something like 50 suburbs in the core county (thee numbers off the top of my head, so relax chicken heads).Miluwakee, like many northern towns, has more well defined suburbs with their own government.

Just last year, Louisville's growth rate was estimated I think around 3 or 4%. Now it is 5%. I really feel the estimates could be off. I realize they could be off for other places, but if you drive around the city from the urban core, east and south east, you will see what I mean. The west end is a real drag on the entire city. In a similar way, rural and EKY is a huge drag on the city of Louisville and its tax dollars and development.

And to the poster above, please. Don't act like Louisville doesn't have major major events. Louisville already has a food hall at Falls City Market downtown. Logan Street Market will be a second but it's technically more of an urban produce market ala Milwaukee Public Market, just a bit more contemporary (I love Milwaukee's market btw).

Louisville is about to widen three freeways to accommodate all this growth...71, 265, and 64.
http://i-moveky.com/

By the way, NONE of this infrastructure development was included in the 13 Billion in Louisvilel development where I clearly listed everything from 2014-2017. There are BILLIONS more in NON INFRASTRUCTURE development in the last 18 months. I don't care what any of you say based on google searches to downplay the city, Louisville is in a construction boom.

There is even a plan to build an outer outer belt like Nashville some 35 miles from downtown

https://www.wdrb.com/in-depth/sunday...5b54bd91a.html

This will be a monumental mistake if it happens. That said, some of these sprawlburbs/exurbs are growing very fast with 50% growth projected by 2040. Louisville is not the slow growth metro projected on this site....it just has a very poor industrial west end dragging down the entire MSA.

Old 08-06-2019, 06:53 AM

9,681 posts, read 9,398,464 times
Quote:
That will be hard to do....Louisville doesn't have as many well defined suburbs since something like half the MSA lives in the core county, and the city of Louisville annexed something like 50 suburbs in the core county (thee numbers off the top of my head, so relax chicken heads).Miluwakee, like many northern towns, has more well defined suburbs with their own government.

Just last year, Louisville's growth rate was estimated I think around 3 or 4%. Now it is 5%. I really feel the estimates could be off. I realize they could be off for other places, but if you drive around the city from the urban core, east and south east, you will see what I mean. The west end is a real drag on the entire city. In a similar way, rural and EKY is a huge drag on the city of Louisville and its tax dollars and development.

And to the poster above, please. Don't act like Louisville doesn't have major major events. Louisville already has a food hall at Falls City Market downtown. Logan Street Market will be a second but it's technically more of an urban produce market ala Milwaukee Public Market, just a bit more contemporary (I love Milwaukee's market btw).

Louisville is about to widen three freeways to accommodate all this growth...71, 265, and 64.
I-Move Kentucky – An innovative approach to improve I-265, I-71 and I-64

By the way, NONE of this infrastructure development was included in the 13 Billion in Louisvilel development where I clearly listed everything from 2014-2017. There are BILLIONS more in NON INFRASTRUCTURE development in the last 18 months. I don't care what any of you say based on google searches to downplay the city, Louisville is in a construction boom.

There is even a plan to build an outer outer belt like Nashville some 35 miles from downtown

https://www.wdrb.com/in-depth/sunday...5b54bd91a.html

This will be a monumental mistake if it happens. That said, some of these sprawlburbs/exurbs are growing very fast with 50% growth projected by 2040. Louisville is not the slow growth metro projected on this site....it just has a very poor industrial west end dragging down the entire MSA.
To be a smaller population state, KY has good infrastructure. I agree with the 71 widening, that should be first imo. 840 here has fueled a lot of growth. The problem is that it has ruined a lot of beautiful farm land by creating sprawl.

Old 08-06-2019, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
To be a smaller population state, KY has good infrastructure. I agree with the 71 widening, that should be first imo. 840 here has fueled a lot of growth. The problem is that it has ruined a lot of beautiful farm land by creating sprawl.
71, 265, and 64 all will be widened by 2023. The project starts next year and is fully funded....going to be a DISASTER of traffic. Traffic on I-265 in Louisville honestly getting as bad as Nashville in parts but that's because it should have been 6 lanes years ago. 265 will be updated to a modern freeway at least in the eastern half of the beltway. No more cloverleaf interchanges as modern flyover ramps start construction this winter.

The outer (third) belt similar to Nashville's 840....I honestly hope it doesn't happen and may be a decade before it does. People forget Louisville is built like a major city already with two fully functioning belts, one urban (264), one suburban (265). Like Milwaukee, Louisville has unreal urban bones. It's easy to forget Louisville was the nation's legitimate 12th largest city in 1860 and remained a top 25 city for much of its existence. This didn't count the urban suburb of New Albany, which was also a top 100 city in the nineteenth century, very dense and urban. Urban renewal and severe floods (1937 was WAY worse than Katrina) destroyed half of this or more.

Old 08-06-2019, 07:59 AM

842 posts, read 826,766 times
I've never been to Milwaukee and have only driven through Louisville. I would personally prefer Louisville for milder winters and better terrain. However, Milwaukee has a distinct advantage with its proximity to Chicago and historically was a much larger city during the 20th century than Louisville, which likely provides better urban character.

Old 08-06-2019, 09:34 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Milwaukee's bungalow housing stock can be quite attractive in some neighborhoods...and it's pretty inexpensive..

Old 08-06-2019, 09:38 AM

10,066 posts, read 14,444,601 times
Can't reply with an honest assessment, since I've only been to Louisville.

But based on what I've read, Milwaukee is larger and more of a "city."

Louisville has some awesome progress happening, and some cool neighborhoods and tourism growth. But Louisville is more "mid sized city," while Milwaukee is a bigger city vibe.

I need to visit Milwaukee soon though to check it out.

Old 08-06-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Can't reply with an honest assessment, since I've only been to Louisville.

But based on what I've read, Milwaukee is larger and more of a "city."

Louisville has some awesome progress happening, and some cool neighborhoods and tourism growth. But Louisville is more "mid sized city," while Milwaukee is a bigger city vibe.

I need to visit Milwaukee soon though to check it out.
Milwaukee is only very slightly larger. 280k metro isn't much and the gap is closing. Louisville was destroyed by massive floods in 1937....that wrecked many buildings and urban renewal destroyed lots.

Also your visit was in 2014 before going on 16 Billion in construction. You missed at lest 8 premiere urban neighborhoods, maybe 10. I challenge you to come back and see. Seriously don't take my word for it. Ask them how Louisville has grown and changed since 2014. Most long time locals will tell you they have never seen anything like it. I think your assessment from 2014 is probably fairly accurate for only visiting two neighborhoods. As recently as 2010, the Highlands was about all she wrote for really awesome parts of Louisville. Now awesome new urban neighborhoods are so rapidly developing its hard to keep up!

I do think Milwaukee has a much better downtown and obviously the lake helps that. The highrises facing the lake helps. But Louisville as noted also has a world class attraction in a top 10 urban park downtown and honestly a world class walking bridge. if none of you can tell me what is a unique thing you remember when you get to the middle of the walking bridge, none of you really know Louisville.

None of that was there in 2014. Downtown Jeffersonville IN on the weekends looks like a stinking New England tourist town. Its absolutely crawling with pedestrians. Louisville's riverfront is wildly underrated.

Old 08-06-2019, 08:16 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,065,539 times
Interesting statistic that made me think of this:

Milwaukee's CSA which contains more than 2 million people, actually covers over 100 sq mi less land area than Louisville's MSA.

Milwaukee's peer cities really are those in the 2 million range. OMB formulas make it feel artificially smaller on paper. It's also a pretty good indicator of why Milwaukee feels so much larger than Louisville.

Last edited by mjlo; 08-06-2019 at 08:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City