Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Milwaukee vs Louisville
Milwaukee 55 70.51%
Louisville 23 29.49%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2019, 03:30 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,735,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Both the last 2 posts....the first one bashing Louisville...then the next bashing Milwaukee are rather absurd responses.

Both fine cities...Id still go with Milwaukee but keep an eye on Louisville...it could pop like Nashville...visit often...there is a definite buzz happening.

But I guess it really comes down to if you are more of a Horse-riding bourbon drinker or a Harley-riding beer drinker.

What we have here is Midwest legacy city boosters jealous of Louisville's southern boomtown success....and some southern boomtowns which see Louisville as a threat and don't like my evangelization of the area.

Last edited by mjlo; 08-05-2019 at 08:17 AM.. Reason: Removed personal attack

Old 08-04-2019, 05:33 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,885,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post

What we have here is Midwest legacy city boosters jealous of Louisville's southern boomtown success....and some southern boomtowns which see Louisville as a threat and don't like my evangelization of the area.
Well, first of all, it's interesting how you are speaking for everyone...amazing that you have the ability to, actually, believe that everyone is jealous of Louisville. I don't see it that way, at all. Also, everyone who prefers Milwaukee is a "Legacy city booster?" Kind of funny, you are.

Last edited by mjlo; 08-05-2019 at 08:17 AM..

Old 08-04-2019, 05:45 PM

5,293 posts, read 6,055,643 times
Quote:
Louisville is not a boomtown. It runs in the middle of the pack for both population and economic growth, and below average for what are considered actual boomtowns. It isn’t seeing more development dollars than any other city either. That super high $9billion figure you use includes several massive public work projects(ie 2 massive bridges built over the Ohio in the last 6 years) and anything as small as a renovation happening in Jefferson county. Even Louisville’s business journal was skeptical of the math used to obtain that number. When one is actually downtown Louisville they will witness a decent amount of construction. However if that person travels to just about any other city of note they will notice similar levels of construction.

Louisville is a great town, with a fantastic atmosphere, but it’s qualities as a “boomtown” are over sold on here. Anyone who travels moderately and visits will be able to tell very quickly.

Old 08-04-2019, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Louisville is not a boomtown. It runs in the middle of the pack for both population and economic growth, and below average for what are considered actual boomtowns. It isn’t seeing more development dollars than any other city either. That super high $9billion figure you use includes several massive public work projects(ie 2 massive bridges built over the Ohio in the last 6 years) and anything as small as a renovation happening in Jefferson county. Even Louisville’s business journal was skeptical of the math used to obtain that number. When one is actually downtown Louisville they will witness a decent amount of construction. However if that person travels to just about any other city of note they will notice similar levels of construction.

Louisville is a great town, with a fantastic atmosphere, but it’s qualities as a “boomtown” are over sold on here. Anyone who travels moderately and visits will be able to tell very quickly.
False. No one said Louisville is a complete boomtown like maybe the top 5 everyone knows about. But it IS BOOMING. Especially compared to Milwaukee. There are so many falsehoods in your posts I have to a do a complete factual post to show you are literally shooting from the hip

Old 08-04-2019, 07:11 PM

PLEASE READ THE LIST AT THE END OF THIS ARTICLE:

https://insiderlouisville.com/govern...opment-number/

It DOES NOT INCLUDE PROJECTS UNDER 3 Million. (moderator above claims it includes projects "as small as a renovation") FALSE FALSE FALSE. Looking at the detailed list, there are very few projects listed under 1 M and those that are are very culturally important developments. Even if you throw all of them out its less than 20 million.

It DOES NOT INCLUDE ANY SUBURBS Like Indiana

It was only for 3 years from 2014-2017.

And it only included 2.6 Billion for infrastructure (the bridges).
We are still talking about 9 BILLION IN NON ROAD DEVELOPMENT WHERE I LISTED IT VERY CLEAR ABOVE from 2014-2017. The article even says it could be more because there is so much its hard to keep track!

Last edited by Peter1948; 08-04-2019 at 07:30 PM..

Old 08-04-2019, 07:23 PM

Louisville has the hottest current hotel market in the nation folks (undeniable statistical fact)...right there higher than Nashville, Raleigh, and Austin. Yet we have CD boosters literally making up falsities. This site never ceases to amaze me:

https://www.bizjournals.com/louisvil...n-the-u-s.html

It's OK if everyone wants to seterotype or use old images of Louisville and vote for Milwaukee, but please, lets cut the false "facts."

Louisville is a MSA of 1.3 M
Milwauke is 1.57 M.

They are VERY VERY comparable. We have disingenuous posters claiming Louisville is "three tiers below." They know better. I probably have spent the most time in both. Louisville is just the hotter city right now, with the MSA growing at 5% not certainly a "boom" in population by any means, but certainly compared to 1.3% in Milwaukee.

Both are great towns, very equal in many regards. Louisville has also recently put itself in the running for an MLS team as the Louisville City team has announced their ambitions for it, and there is a strong NBA movement too.

Let me add that I really love both cities. I think their amenity packages are virtually identical.

Last edited by Peter1948; 08-04-2019 at 07:33 PM..

Old 08-04-2019, 07:46 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
False. No one said Louisville is a complete boomtown like maybe the top 5 everyone knows about. But it IS BOOMING. Especially compared to Milwaukee. There are so many falsehoods in your posts I have to a do a complete factual post to show you are literally shooting from the hip
Population and economic/job growth are far and away the two most relevant and most cited categories that are indicative of boomtown status and I'm not seeing where Louisville is at the top of the heap in either. It may be experiencing a notable uptick in certain other related categories like tourism or construction, but it would be a stretch to say the place is booming without the two fundamental elements of rapid population and economic/job growth in place.

Honestly, I'm not so sure why you're so hellbent on making Louisville seem like another Nashville, Austin, Charlotte, etc. anyway. Certainly those cities have realized benefits due to their boomtown status, but not without costs (increasing COL and traffic, loss of character, etc.). If I were you, I'd be largely satisfied with Louisville's status as something of a well-kept secret with the advantages that come with being in the weight class it's in and almost none of the disadvantages that come with boomtown status. If it could manage to post higher job growth and income figures in a low key sort of way without that triggering a stampede into the city, then I'd say it would have found that sweet spot that would make it an ideal place to live.

Old 08-04-2019, 07:52 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,378,368 times
This article is telling of how Louisville compares to other cities.

https://www.wlky.com/article/louisvi...ities/26948987

Old 08-04-2019, 07:53 PM

5,293 posts, read 6,055,643 times
Quote:
PLEASE READ THE LIST AT THE END OF THIS ARTICLE:

https://insiderlouisville.com/govern...opment-number/

It DOES NOT INCLUDE PROJECTS UNDER 3 Million. (moderator above claims it includes projects "as small as a renovation") FALSE FALSE FALSE. Looking at the detailed list, there are very few projects listed under 1 M and those that are are very culturally important developments. Even if you throw all of them out its less than 20 million.
I'd encourage folks to take the time and read the article Peter posted. It includes dollar figures going back to 2014 when they were started being tracked. Includes several public works projects, and several finished projects. Even after taking out that math the source publication cannot confirm where how all of these dollars were accounted for. Keep in mind too that this number encompasses all of Jefferson county, not just Louisville or it's downtown as it is inferred. If you take just about any core city and it's county, and add up investments over the last 5.5 years it wouldn't be surprising to see several cities with similar or higher figures.

As it is stated, it is being made to sound like there's $9 billion in investment in Louisville's core alone. This just isn't the case. Louisville is having significant amounts of investment, but there's simply no evidence that it's seeing more than similar cities. Milwaukee's visitor's bureau shows $5.5 billion happening currently and that does not included the county and massive public works projects as well. If you travel to both of these cities you will notice significant investments happening in both. You will NOT feel as if Louisville is seeing more.

https://www.visitmilwaukee.org/about...building-boom/

Quote:

The number itself comes from a list that Louisville Forward, the city’s economic development arm, updates monthly, which tracks investment across Jefferson County. The most recent version of the list, updated in December, actually pegs the investment number at $12.6 billion since 2014.

The accuracy of the number comes down in part to how one interprets Fischer’s comment, “$12.5 billion of construction either announced or underway.” That could easily be understood as development going on currently or expected to take place in the next few years.

But the list’s $12.6 billion number also includes projects completed from 2014 to 2017. A review of the list found that at least 76 projects on the list have already been completed, including the $2.6 billion Ohio River Bridges Project and the $3.1 million Kentucky Peerless Distilling Co., which opening in 2015. Those projects total nearly $3.83 billion.

However, that number could be higher. Insider reached out to a spokesperson for the University of Louisville Foundation to confirm whether a few projects on the list were completed or still in the works, including an $80 million UofL Instructional Building and $10.4 million of work on a “UofL Medical — Dental Research Building.” Insider did not hear back.

Old 08-04-2019, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I'd encourage folks to take the time and read the article Peter posted. It includes dollar figures going back to 2014 when they were started being tracked. Includes several public works projects, and several finished projects. Even after taking out that math the source publication cannot confirm where how all of these dollars were accounted for. Keep in mind too that this number encompasses all of Jefferson county, not just Louisville or it's downtown as it is inferred. If you take just about any core city and it's county, and add up investments over the last 5.5 years it wouldn't be surprising to see several cities with similar or higher figures.

As it is stated, it is being made to sound like there's $9 billion in investment in Louisville's core alone. This just isn't the case. Louisville is having significant amounts of investment, but there's simply no evidence that it's seeing more than similar cities. Milwaukee's visitor's bureau shows $5.5 billion happening currently and that does not included the county and massive public works projects as well.

https://www.visitmilwaukee.org/about...building-boom/
LOL you make up more and more false stuff with each post. This was THREE years NOT OVER FIVE LIKE YOU CLAIM.....2014-2017. Milwaukee simply cannot compare to the construction announced in 2018 and 2019 in Louisville either. The majority of the money spent in downtown Milwaukee is for a sports arena, one Louisville built years ago. You don't want to count infrastructure for Louisville yet one of the biggest tickets Milwaukee has is a streetcar.

I am not hellbent on Louisville booming....but construction wise it is.

And isn't 5% MSA growth booming compared to 1.3%? Am I missing something? What's more? Louisville's biggest problem is its racial/segregated history. That doesn't mean its a racist city but there is a whole half of the city declining or stagnat like the rustbelt (west Louisville) while the east suburbs REALLY DO grow like sunbelt boomtowns! Louisville's issue is that while downtown and points east grow at 10% plus, points west and southwest stay flat or even lose population, thus the 5% growth.

If Louisville can figure out a way to bring the entire metro into the success occuring from the urban core south and east, WATCH OUT! All signs are pointing up.

I love how you all breezed over the fact that Louisville has the number one hotel demand growth in the USA....just another Peterism, right hahahaha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City