Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Las Vegas vs San Antonio
Las Vegas 34 44.74%
San Antonio 42 55.26%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 09:28 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,808,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
I don't know why everyone is choosing San Antonio for climate. I am actually not familiar with San Antonio's climate. Does it get humid there? I've seen Vegas residents say the heat only gets borderline unbearable for maybe 3 months out of the year. Vegas also has mountains to visit and Lake Mead to swim in.
That's highly debatable and entirely towards your preferences. People who live out this way in places like Vegas and Phoenix are naturally good with the heat and start feeling cold at 73 degrees. If that sounds like you then maybe only 3 months.

If you are more like me and can wear T-shirts in 30 something degree weather for a fair amount of time it'll be harder for you. As someone who has only lived out this way and therefore considered "acclimated" I can handle the temperatures, it's the length of the summers that are hard. I'd say as of this year it's been hot since late April and it's September and still triple digits. I'm fine in May, June, but towards the end I'm irritated.

Vegas is not directly the same as Phoenix weather, though much more comparable than most other cities, Vegas is in a drier desert which therefore affect people's skins if they are not used to such a dry climate in addition get less rain (4" vs. 8"). But that's why we have lotion. Vegas also gets cooler winters.

San Antonio is more humid and to me that's harder to deal with. Some people prefer that though so again, depends on who you are. San Antonio may not be as humid as say, Houston, but still much more humid than Vegas.

Vegas has better recreational activities closer by than Phoenix does, with Grand Canyon being a couple hours closer, you are also closer to the California coast, Death Valley, Mount Charleston (skiing!) and southern Utah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2019, 09:33 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,354,185 times
San Antonio,

Some greenery,
near Austin and 3 hours from Houston
like the hill country to the west,
affordable,
more people who are actually tied to the area
A more diverse economy
Water access less of an issue

Old 09-21-2019, 09:36 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,354,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
That's highly debatable and entirely towards your preferences. People who live out this way in places like Vegas and Phoenix are naturally good with the heat and start feeling cold at 73 degrees. If that sounds like you then maybe only 3 months.

If you are more like me and can wear T-shirts in 30 something degree weather for a fair amount of time it'll be harder for you. As someone who has only lived out this way and therefore considered "acclimated" I can handle the temperatures, it's the length of the summers that are hard. I'd say as of this year it's been hot since late April and it's September and still triple digits. I'm fine in May, June, but towards the end I'm irritated.

Vegas is not directly the same as Phoenix weather, though much more comparable than most other cities, Vegas is in a drier desert which therefore affect people's skins if they are not used to such a dry climate in addition get less rain (4" vs. 8"). But that's why we have lotion. Vegas also gets cooler winters.

San Antonio is more humid and to me that's harder to deal with. Some people prefer that though so again, depends on who you are. San Antonio may not be as humid as say, Houston, but still much more humid than Vegas.

Vegas has better recreational activities closer by than Phoenix does, with Grand Canyon being a couple hours closer, you are also closer to the California coast, Death Valley, Mount Charleston (skiing!) and southern Utah.
C'mon now the California coast is a good 5 to 6 hours. Southern Utah isn't close either. And Vegas is in a region with more water issues than most parts of the country.

Old 09-22-2019, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
C'mon now the California coast is a good 5 to 6 hours. Southern Utah isn't close either. And Vegas is in a region with more water issues than most parts of the country.
That’s still closer than Phoenix. St George is pretty close to Vegas I believe an hour or two without looking it up. You should check to see what’s around St George there’s a lot.

What exactly do water issues have to do with my comment? I talked only about recreational activities and climate. Sounds like you are pulling things out of thin air or trying to stretch my words to try to discredit Vegas. San Antonio has plenty to offer without going to this level, I feel you can do better.

Old 09-22-2019, 04:50 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,339,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post

If you check you will find that Las Vegas is a more pleasant climate than most TX cities including San Antonio if you use the heat index for the summer temperature. Las Vegas temperature is nominally higher but generally goes down on heat index. San Antonio, Dallas, Houston all have lower nominal temperature but have heat indexes that exceed that temp but many degrees. In the high summer the San Antonio heat index will often surpass that of Las Vegas. What all that says is the climate in Las Vegas is often more comfortable than that of San Antonio.

I would also note that even in the high temperature months the mornings are often quite pleasant. Gets too hot in the late afternoon but mornings are quite nice.

The Vegas downtown is the Strip. That is where the work and employment and shopping is located. There are very few places in the US comparable. San Antonio is not among them.

San Antonio does win on cost of living. Though it loses most of that in lower salaries. Still likely has an advantage of a couple of thousand a year.

Last edited by lvmensch; 09-22-2019 at 05:06 PM..

Old 09-22-2019, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
That is simply a common misconception. Las Vegas has sufficient water to maintain its growth for some years. And in the event of a real water crisis it is above the dam. All the other downstream users are below the dam.

And in fact the Colorado River water problems are mostly a question of politics and such. The vast majority of the Colorado River water goes to CA agriculture where it is dirt cheap and often wasted on the wrong kind of crops. Allow marketing of it and the whole thing would immediately turn around.

Long term desalination will be important. And as the cost of energy continues to plummet it will become a more and more viable proposition.

St. George UT is about 2 hours from Las Vegas. Mesquite, the northern most Las Vegas suburb is 40 minutes to St. George. Zion National Park is 3 hours.

Old 09-23-2019, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
If you check you will find that Las Vegas is a more pleasant climate than most TX cities including San Antonio if you use the heat index for the summer temperature. Las Vegas temperature is nominally higher but generally goes down on heat index. San Antonio, Dallas, Houston all have lower nominal temperature but have heat indexes that exceed that temp but many degrees. In the high summer the San Antonio heat index will often surpass that of Las Vegas. What all that says is the climate in Las Vegas is often more comfortable than that of San Antonio.

I would also note that even in the high temperature months the mornings are often quite pleasant. Gets too hot in the late afternoon but mornings are quite nice.

The Vegas downtown is the Strip. That is where the work and employment and shopping is located. There are very few places in the US comparable. San Antonio is not among them.

San Antonio does win on cost of living. Though it loses most of that in lower salaries. Still likely has an advantage of a couple of thousand a year.
Mornings can be good here as well, but gets hot quickly by say 8:30 am. I use public transit for walk and actually have to walk outside (rare for a Phoenician I know) and can say that first hand. It would be completely fine if there were trees, but that's another story.

The weather out our way is definitely more tolerable than the South I 100% agree.

Old 09-28-2019, 04:37 PM

994 posts, read 966,924 times
Only been to Vegas, but the dry weather has to be better than Texas humidity. Vegas has alot more to do than people realize other than the strip. Understandable how people dont like the gambling scene. COL is rising in Vegas and Economy could be more diverse. Yes Vegas is crazy at times, but that's one of the cool things about it mixed with all it offers. I pick Vegas.

Old 09-28-2019, 05:38 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,521,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
1. Downtown: Neither
2. Walkability: I don't look for walkability in these 2.
3. Things to do: Vegas
4. Recreation: Vegas
5. COL: San Antonio I guess
6. Economy: who knows.
7. Climate: Neither
8. Scenery: Vegas
9. Restaurants/Food: V E G A S
10. Transportation Car and Public: Vegas
11.Suburbs: Vegas I guess
12. Where would you rather live? Vegas
Same. Downtown Vegas sucks and is not even meh at best. They should at least build some skyscrapers or tall hotels downtown so it at least looks like a downtown and people wouldn't call the strip "downtown Vegas" like I'm sure some woefully misguided people do.

Old 09-28-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
Same. Downtown Vegas sucks and is not even meh at best. They should at least build some skyscrapers or tall hotels downtown so it at least looks like a downtown and people wouldn't call the strip "downtown Vegas" like I'm sure some woefully misguided people do.
The actual down town of Las Vegas is the Strip. Which is one of the countries best down towns. Let us not get confused by "Downtown Las Vegas" or "Downtown Summerlin". Those are place names not our down town. We work and play and feature the Strip - It is our down town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City