Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 12:00 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,241,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
I've always considered the CTA to be HRT-lite due to the cramped and narrow cars. It's also the only one I've ever seen anywhere with actual at-grade street crossings.
Only a small portion is at grade. Later extensions pioneered utilizing medians if expressways. (as you once noted Atlanta has some too) Each line is elevated and some subway portions and median.

Also of the original system still in uses. Is why narrow trains are kept. Subway tunnels also make it necessary.

Just not possible to widen trains on such a older system that still uses 100+ year old elevated platforms and subway tunnels that still could not accommodate wider trains. Even those built the WW2 era.

But technically, still as heavy rail. Why it gets compared to the other older cities transit. Though one like Philly have each throughout its transit-system. Chicago's uses the basic L train throughout its system. New trains coming on. Will continue being basically the same.

I actually never road on that portion street-grade. Just not the standard for the system most see or use. Simply a oddity that extensions over decades had a portion that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2019, 12:26 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,926,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
I actually never road on that portion street-grade. Just not the standard for the system most see or use. Simply a oddity that extensions over decades had a portion that way.
I saw them on the Brown Line, and there were several. I was pretty shocked, and thought it was very odd.

Old 09-15-2019, 04:35 AM

5,003 posts, read 5,977,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
I've always considered the CTA to be HRT-lite due to the cramped and narrow cars. It's also the only one I've ever seen anywhere with actual at-grade street crossings.
Chicago's train cars are similar in size to those on the London Underground and slightly wider than the cars used on the numbered lines in nyc.

Old 09-15-2019, 07:23 AM

4,524 posts, read 5,096,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Chicago's train cars are similar in size to those on the London Underground and slightly wider than the cars used on the numbered lines in nyc.
Actually the London Underground has different sized cars. Some of their older ones are tiny -- smaller than Chicago's -- in small tunnels where even averaged-sized people have to duck to get in the doors. Remember, this is the oldest subway in the world, with the first line built during the American Civil War. But the standard-sized cars are much larger, more typical of American cars (ie: the NYC subway).

Old 09-15-2019, 07:29 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,333,568 times
Quote:
The London underground has like 8 different sized cars.

And the NYC cars are much larger than the Chicago cars, for both numbered and lettered lines. I believe the lettered lines (75% of the system) have more than twice the capacity.

Old 09-15-2019, 08:07 AM

5,003 posts, read 5,977,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
The London underground has like 8 different sized cars.

And the NYC cars are much larger than the Chicago cars, for both numbered and lettered lines. I believe the lettered lines (75% of the system) have more than twice the capacity.
Yeah the tube has slight variations in length and very slight variations in width, but essentially they have two sizes: 8'7" wide and 9'7" wide. The smaller ones, which most tourists would use are very similar in size to Chicago. If anything they are even more cramped due to the curving roof. Source Wikipedia.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lond..._rolling_stock

NYCT cars used on numbered lines are 8'9" wide and 51'4" long and are similar to Chicago, although slightly larger. The cars used on the lettered lines are 10' wide by 75' or 60' long. Source nycsubway.org

https://www.nycsubway.org/wiki/Current_Fleet

The lettered lines probably are 75% of the track mileage, but the numbered lines are many of the busiest so I doubt that the lettered lines represent 75% of the fleet.

Old 09-15-2019, 08:23 AM

14,164 posts, read 9,054,479 times
Quote:
Also: New York's Canarsie Line subway (L) used to have grade crossings at its outer end in the Canarsie section of Brooklyn. I believe the NYCTA closed them in the 1970s.

Old 09-15-2019, 02:48 PM

4,524 posts, read 5,096,608 times
On The T, One Size Doesn't Fit All
https://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/...CCM/story.html

Old 09-15-2019, 10:50 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,241,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Well one-size-fits-all on Chicago L. Every train can be on each others tracks ..... there are no different widths. Just some differing seat configurations and some added them hold-on-steps. I prefer a pole/rail. I dislike the steps. Glad they are basically discontinued in new trains.

Old 09-15-2019, 11:24 PM

14,164 posts, read 9,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Well one-size-fits-all on Chicago L. Every train can be on each others tracks ..... there are no different widths. Just some differing seat configurations and some added them hold-on-steps. I prefer a pole/rail. I dislike the steps. Glad they are basically discontinued in new trains.
Chicago is the only one of the four "legacy" subway systems (Boston, Chicago, New York, Philadelphia) of which that can be said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City