Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 09:06 AM

4,520 posts, read 5,093,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Well one-size-fits-all on Chicago L. Every train can be on each others tracks ..... there are no different widths. Just some differing seat configurations and some added them hold-on-steps. I prefer a pole/rail. I dislike the steps. Glad they are basically discontinued in new trains.
Yep, the so-called Union Loop forced the 4 L companies to standardize cars in the late 1890s which was for the betterment of the system 120+ years later. Its amazing that the original Loop L viaduct, constructed in 1897, is still hosting trains. It may not be attractive, but it's a testament to quality civil engineering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 09:40 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
I saw them on the Brown Line, and there were several. I was pretty shocked, and thought it was very odd.
Yeah at the very end of the Brown Line there are three stations that run over a few roads at-grade, it's such an outlier to the system most people don't know they exist but I love when I've been out that way and seen them in person. I actually live over in that area but except for Kedzie the few streets they cross over are very lightly used.

I read there are a few stations at the very end of the Pink Line out in the suburb of Cicero, but I haven't been out that way.

I think something around 4% of the CTA's stations are outliers like that, at the far ends of those two lines.

Old 09-17-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Yeah at the very end of the Brown Line there are three stations that run over a few roads at-grade, it's such an outlier to the system most people don't know they exist but I love when I've been out that way and seen them in person. I actually live over in that area but except for Kedzie the few streets they cross over are very lightly used.

I read there are a few stations at the very end of the Pink Line out in the suburb of Cicero, but I haven't been out that way.

I think something around 4% of the CTA's stations are outliers like that, at the far ends of those two lines.
In the near north suburbs, both the Purple and Yellow Lines also run at grade, too, although, aside from the Purple Line terminal at Linden, I don't think there are any ground-level stations -- trains just cross a few streets with protected gates and flashers. Of the at-grade lines, the Brown is the most interesting because it travels at grade through a fairly trendy, densely populated neighborhood with station-stops every few blocks before curving into its Lawrence-Kimball terminus.

Old 09-17-2019, 11:43 AM

11,781 posts, read 7,992,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post

I used to ride the L when I lived in Chicago when I was much younger. Yes, the Pink Line does have at-grade crossings much like the Brown line toward the end of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0zZlij52oc
When I used it, the Pink Line was as known as The Douglas Line....so it was ages ago.

If I'm not mistaken, New York also has a few anomalies where HRT trains cross grade crossings. I personally have been fascinated to see a HRT / Subway cross railroad crossings like normal trains / commuter trains do. Due to safety regulations I believe railroad crossings between these kinds of trains and cars were discontinued due to crash safety standards. The ones in Chicago and a few other places however were grandfathered in.

Old 09-17-2019, 01:18 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,975,356 times
NYC doesn't have any places where HRT cross public streets. Maybe you're thinking of the commuter trains which have plenty of grace crossings, even LIRR which like the subway is third rail. Obviously they don't run the third rail across public streets though

Old 09-17-2019, 07:29 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,329,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
If I'm not mistaken, New York also has a few anomalies where HRT trains cross grade crossings.
Nope. There are no grade crossings for any heavy rail within NYC city limits. None for subway, PATH, SIRT, LIRR, Metro North or JFK Airtrain.

There are some grade crossings on suburban railroads outside the city proper, but generally not on main lines. Most of the major suburban lines are fully grade separated. If you take an LIRR train from Penn to, say, Babylon, there's never a grade crossing.

General rule of thumb- if the line uses third rail power, there won't be a grade crossing. And obviously the NE Corridor line doesn't have grade crossings.

Old 09-18-2019, 11:29 AM

11,781 posts, read 7,992,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
NYC doesn't have any places where HRT cross public streets. Maybe you're thinking of the commuter trains which have plenty of grace crossings, even LIRR which like the subway is third rail. Obviously they don't run the third rail across public streets though

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Nope. There are no grade crossings for any heavy rail within NYC city limits. None for subway, PATH, SIRT, LIRR, Metro North or JFK Airtrain.

There are some grade crossings on suburban railroads outside the city proper, but generally not on main lines. Most of the major suburban lines are fully grade separated. If you take an LIRR train from Penn to, say, Babylon, there's never a grade crossing.

General rule of thumb- if the line uses third rail power, there won't be a grade crossing. And obviously the NE Corridor line doesn't have grade crossings.
Oh well. I could have sworn I saw something on one of the lines having a few grade crossings in New York. In Chicago, the third rail stops before the crossing and starts again after it for obvious reasons, the train just has to be long enough to cross the entire crossing while maintaining contact with the rail on atleast one of its cars.

But yes, I know no other HRT's especially modern ones have crossings mainly due to safety reasons.

Old 09-18-2019, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
As MarketStEl noted, the L Canarsie train apparently had a grade crossing or 2 near the end of its line in South Brooklyn, but that it/they was/were eliminated some time ago (the 70s IIRC). Now there are none in the entire subway network..

Yes, the LIRR does resemble an at-grade subway. History tells us that, at one time, the LIRR and subway shared tracks at points, notably across the Brooklyn Bridge before tunnels were built and tracks were removed from that bridge. This is no doubt why the Subway and LIRR are physically compatible, although I believe LIRR raised its power slightly to about 750v DC, will the subway remains at 600v.

Old 09-19-2019, 07:06 PM

567 posts, read 430,892 times
[quote=Marv95;56164458]How is LA's 2 subway lines ahead of Chicago's L is a mystery to me.

And as mentioned, they left out buses. Kinda relevant.[/

LA's Metro Red and Purple subway line trains go through some of the most densely populated areas of LA. The Red line also has stations at two huge tourist attractions, Universal Studios and Hollywood/Highland.

Old 09-19-2019, 07:09 PM

567 posts, read 430,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
How is LA's 2 subway lines ahead of Chicago's L is a mystery to me.

And as mentioned, they left out buses. Kinda relevant.
LA's Metro Red and Purple subway line trains go through some of the most densely populated areas of LA. The Red line also has stations at two huge tourist attractions, Universal Studios and Hollywood/Highland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City