Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer based on the categories listed?
Chicago 103 59.88%
Boston 69 40.12%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2019, 11:05 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,746,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
huh? I strongly disagree. The whole day is a party in town. It's a ton of fun. And really, the whole weekend is a party as all of the runners and their families are in town and out and about. There's nothing but medals and jackets everywhere in town for the week afterwards either (to the point where runners wearing their medals and jackets and the related etiquette is the subject of debate). I don't disagree that the marathon is not the deciding factor in boston v. Chicago, but to say it has no shelf-life seems kind of ridiculous to me.
the whole day is a party in town???

Where? Couldnt be further from the truth. No one i know even mentions it regardless of race class whatever..It routinely would happen and i would flat out not know. I just thought of it as Patriots Day and a random day we get off in MA-i usually dont even make the connection it was about ta marathon. Furthermore unless i see it on the news I couldnt tell you the route, Isnt like 23 of the 26 miles outside of Boston and to the west? I certainly dont know anyone whos been invited to party or celebration of it... Cmon.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 10-04-2019 at 11:06 AM.. Reason: T
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2019, 12:00 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,036,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Couldnt be further from the truth.
Well that’s not true. A lot of people turn out all along the race course; Boylston is always packed. All college students have the day off, so it’s definitely a popular day for day drinking among that crowd. A few years ago Patriot’s day fell on 4/20, so that marathon day was even a bit crazier.

Lots of people also leave the city to take advantage of the long weekend. But it’s not like no one celebrates the race.

Old 10-04-2019, 12:31 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Well that’s not true. A lot of people turn out all along the race course; Boylston is always packed. All college students have the day off, so it’s definitely a popular day for day drinking among that crowd. A few years ago Patriot’s day fell on 4/20, so that marathon day was even a bit crazier.

Lots of people also leave the city to take advantage of the long weekend. But it’s not like no one celebrates the race.
I believe people celebrate it, I've seen the coverage on TV but its not some huge party allover and its definitely not something most people engage with and certainly not most Bostonian. I understand i'm from the southern part of the city and metro but if it were that big a deal id definitely hear about it and know more about it. I went to high school and college with kids from all over metro Boston and had teachers and friends and such from all over. As an adult it was/is probably even more of an afterthought.

Even the Caribbean Carnival which is more in my neck of the woods-it doesn't impact that may people other than the people there and life really goes on as normal. Boston jsut doesn't ever really break out into a party like atmosphere. The closest it comes to that loose energetic vibe is Boston pops or maybe Hempfest because it was 3 days long and right in Boston Common.

Old 10-04-2019, 12:38 PM

14,480 posts, read 11,277,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWright View Post
Ya, you only claimed 99%.
I said 95%.

This makes you a liar.

Old 10-04-2019, 12:41 PM

14,480 posts, read 11,277,582 times
Quote:

Where? Couldnt be further from the truth. No one i know even mentions it regardless of race class whatever..It routinely would happen and i would flat out not know. I just thought of it as Patriots Day and a random day we get off in MA-i usually dont even make the connection it was about ta marathon. Furthermore unless i see it on the news I couldnt tell you the route, Isnt like 23 of the 26 miles outside of Boston and to the west? I certainly dont know anyone whos been invited to party or celebration of it... Cmon.
I used to go to marathon day parties and bars every year. Always had a blast.

Old 10-04-2019, 02:10 PM

12,820 posts, read 22,009,846 times
Quote:

Really? I would say you and the people you know are outliers then. I mean, it's obviously a pretty big deal in Boston. There are enough photos, tv, radio, and press coverage out there to highlight what it's like. But it's pretty hard to avoid if you're anywhere around Downtown, Back Bay, Fenway, etc. Good luck getting into bars or restaurants anywhere within a few blocks of the route or Fenway between 12-5pm which I would call out of the ordinary for a Monday in Boston.

It's my favorite day in Boston all year long. I love grabbing tickets to the 11am Sox game and heading down to the finish line after. I'm not a full on Boston homer, but it's a pretty big tradition and that should go without saying.

Old 10-04-2019, 02:20 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,442,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post

Harvard doesn't.

Old 10-04-2019, 02:33 PM

492 posts, read 535,323 times
Chicago Handsdown..

Old 10-04-2019, 02:34 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,914,958 times
Yikes has this thread spiraled out of control.

What happened to the Fenway Area vs. Wrigley Area? At least that was an interesting topic.

Old 10-04-2019, 05:26 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,866,720 times
How is this thread still active???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City