Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer based on the categories listed?
Chicago 103 59.88%
Boston 69 40.12%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2019, 10:11 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,568,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
I have run 4 marathons, including Chicago, and can say that your statement is absolutely ridiculous in the running community. The Abbott World Marathon Majors is composed of the six largest and reknown marathons in the world. The six marathons are Boston, Tokyo, London, Berlin, NYC, and Chicago, not in that order. All these races are internationally reknown, with Boston and NYC in the U.S. requiring qualifying times. The Chicago marathon hosts some of the fastest runners in the world due to the course being mostly flat and fast.
the boston marathon is michael jordan. the others are scottie pippen, steve kerr, dennis rodman, ron harper, toni kukoc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2019, 10:56 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,885,098 times
SO, I'm not getting all the marathon comments, even though I made one, myself. Boston is better, because of the Boston Marathon? I have a hard time wrapping my head around that.

Old 09-25-2019, 11:22 AM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
SO, I'm not getting all the marathon comments, even though I made one, myself. Boston is better, because of the Boston Marathon? I have a hard time wrapping my head around that.
One of the OPs criteria is “events” and marathons are one thing that both Chicago and Boston do well, which makes for a good point of discussion. No one will bother arguing that Boston Calling is better than Lollapalooza or that Chicago has a better Caribbean Carnival than Boston.

Old 09-25-2019, 12:00 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Chicago is not unique in that.

If the 56 homicide victims in Boston, in 2018 none were white or Asian. I think about 45 of them were black, giving Boston a black homicide rate of ~28 per 100k and whites and Asians a homicide rate of 0 per 100k. If Boston shooting victims had the same fatality rate as Chicago the homicide rate amongst blacks would be higher- but it’s not due to proximity of hospitals. What is the insistence on making Chicago out to be Beirut? Leave those people alone! They’re not a specific brand of ultra immoral inner city dwellers.
*Of the 56

Old 09-25-2019, 07:37 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,239,344 times
So isn't time fr a Wrigley vs Fenway showdown ...... since we are finally over the marathon one?

Maybe we are not over the marathon thing? Then Triple-Decker vs Bungalows and Chicago 2-3-flats .... or Boston Terrace rows vs Chicago Gilded-age Victorians and Greystones .....

Just some ideas how far this thread can go.

Old 09-25-2019, 08:06 PM

103 posts, read 136,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
So isn't time fr a Wrigley vs Fenway showdown ...... since we are finally over the marathon one?

Maybe we are not over the marathon thing? Then Triple-Decker vs Bungalows and Chicago 2-3-flats .... or Boston Terrace rows vs Chicago Gilded-age Victorians and Greystones .....

Just some ideas how far this thread can go.

Everybody knows that Fenway is better than Wrigley . I'll let the rest of you debate triple-deckers and bungalows.

Old 09-25-2019, 08:12 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,239,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucepf View Post
Everybody knows that Fenway is better than Wrigley . I'll let the rest of you debate triple-deckers and bungalows.
Well, do tell some reasons and compare their surrounding neighborhoods? Being respectful to both of course. Is one more of a tourist attraction to their respective city's?

I never was to Fenway. So I can only comment on Wrigley and the Wrigleyville sub neighborhood of Lakeview, Aldo a sub-neighborhood of Boystown. But together are Lakeview.

Of courese of a commont on Wrigley or area I might disagree with?

Last edited by DavePa; 09-25-2019 at 08:20 PM..

Old 09-26-2019, 10:30 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,911,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Well, do tell some reasons and compare their surrounding neighborhoods? Being respectful to both of course. Is one more of a tourist attraction to their respective city's?

I never was to Fenway. So I can only comment on Wrigley and the Wrigleyville sub neighborhood of Lakeview, Aldo a sub-neighborhood of Boystown. But together are Lakeview.

Of courese of a commont on Wrigley or area I might disagree with?
Actually Wrigleyville and The Fens are more similar than different. The major difference is that Fenway sits right off of the highway, with neighborhoods that sit north of the highway, and then neighborhoods west. East/Southeast is a garden/common area that connects a lot of student housing areas.

Wrigleyville is a more substantial neighborhood, with more bars, a few more restaurants. Until recently, Fenway and the surrounding area were ahead of Wrigleyville as far as new building, which added to Wrigley's neighborly curb appeal. Now, however, Wrigley is even more commercial than Fenway. It's the Theo effect, as what he's doing in Wrigley mirrors what he did in/around Fenway.

I do prefer Fenway. The brick façade, the strung lights on Yawkey (now Jersey), Landsdowne's bar scene/walk only pedestrian footprint, and Boylston street that has good gameday atmosphere from the western parts of Back Bay all the way into Longwood. Plus, Time Out market has more good eats inside/the Trillium beer garden, which makes for an awesome area to hang before/during/after games. And, Cask N Flagon>The Cubbie Bear, each of which make up the two best baseball bars in the country.

Old 09-26-2019, 11:32 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Actually Wrigleyville and The Fens are more similar than different. The major difference is that Fenway sits right off of the highway, with neighborhoods that sit north of the highway, and then neighborhoods west. East/Southeast is a garden/common area that connects a lot of student housing areas.

Wrigleyville is a more substantial neighborhood, with more bars, a few more restaurants. Until recently, Fenway and the surrounding area were ahead of Wrigleyville as far as new building, which added to Wrigley's neighborly curb appeal. Now, however, Wrigley is even more commercial than Fenway. It's the Theo effect, as what he's doing in Wrigley mirrors what he did in/around Fenway.

I do prefer Fenway. The brick façade, the strung lights on Yawkey (now Jersey), Landsdowne's bar scene/walk only pedestrian footprint, and Boylston street that has good gameday atmosphere from the western parts of Back Bay all the way into Longwood. Plus, Time Out market has more good eats inside/the Trillium beer garden, which makes for an awesome area to hang before/during/after games. And, Cask N Flagon>The Cubbie Bear, each of which make up the two best baseball bars in the country.
The Cask N Flagon has consistently the worst service of any bar I ever used to go to in Boston. Chronically understaffed, and the staff they do have has an insane attitude. Just about every other bar in Boston is superior to the Cask N Flagon. I couldn't have a lower opinion of the place.

Before Red Sox games, I always went to Baseball Tavern.

Old 09-26-2019, 11:38 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,911,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
The Cask N Flagon has consistently the worst service of any bar I ever used to go to in Boston. Chronically understaffed, and the staff they do have has an insane attitude. Just about every other bar in Boston is superior to the Cask N Flagon. I couldn't have a lower opinion of the place.

Before Red Sox games, I always went to Baseball Tavern.
I haven't had that same customer experience, but I go there for the atmosphere before games. Baseball Tavern is great too. Really like the rooftop, though it can be prettttty crowded up there at full capacity.

I do like the new bars/restaurants down Boylston. Tough to beat a cold Fiddlehead and biscuits on the Sweet Cheek patio. Really nice face lift to have Time Out market/Trillium beer garden over there now, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City