Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer based on the categories listed?
Chicago 103 59.88%
Boston 69 40.12%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 05:40 PM

552 posts, read 407,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Yes, crime can happen anywhere, but over 80% of shooting and homicide victims in Chicago are black. The vast majority of which are men.
I am well aware of the demographics of Chicago's violence. The point I was making is that violence occurs on the North Side of the city as well which has a large number of gangs and shootings regularly. To claim the South & West Side are 100% responsible for every violent act which occured during the fireworks or anytime a public function turns deadly is irresponsible and sterotypical scapegoating not founded in truth. Yes those sides of the city are ultra- violent in pockets but North Side gang beefs spill into downtown, events and the beaches too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2019, 07:42 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,625,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownsFinest View Post
Call me ignorant but I always felt that tht Chicago marathon was the grandaddy of them all major marathons, at least in the United States. Doesn't it attract more runners and it's just larger then Boston's?
Chicago's marathon is a well-known major, but Boston's is the *most* well-known.

Old 09-25-2019, 06:58 AM

12,820 posts, read 22,009,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Chicago's marathon is a well-known major, but Boston's is the *most* well-known.
Probably accurate, but I would almost say that we're splitting hairs at this point. Both are at the top of the class and it doesn't feel great from my perspective to really try to put one ahead of the other given how close they are.

From a viewers perspective (I certainly haven't run), I think the sort of immeasurable factor that makes Boston special for people here is that the Marathon is basically a part of what could be called "Boston Day." It's not just about the Marathon. It's a local holiday (Patriot's Day) and many people aren't working. If it's not pouring, it's typically one of the first few nice days per year and there's that sort of "we made it through winter!" optimism (they know this feeling in Chicago too) and it's celebrated by heading to Fenway (or around Fenway) for the 11:05 a.m. Sox game (a unique MLB tradition), then walking a few minutes over to the Marathon route to watch runners head towards the finish. All with plenty of day drinking outdoors. I think it's amplified by Boston being such a small/compact city so no matter where you go around the center of town there's that sort of holiday/party atmosphere. It's honestly my favorite day of the year in Boston and the Marathon is only a piece of it (albeit a big piece). I would never try to claim that Boston's marathon is bigger or better than Chicago's. But I think the day as a whole is sort of a unique Boston tradition and that's what people are referring to when they talk about it being the "most well known." I don't really know how true that is, but I'd guess that's where the sentiment comes from.

Old 09-25-2019, 08:03 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,239,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWright View Post
I was responding to "Mr. Joshua" who was blaming the South And West Side of the city for EVERY bad thing that happens in the city. I am merely pointing out that the North Side has it's fair share of shootings and gangs which spill into events downtown and otherwise.
I understand you dislike only the Southside and West side hood areas .... get all the stigma in crime. But still stats prove that by a HUGE margin in gangland murders and shootings.

Bringing downtown Chicago in also is misleading. Chicago's core DOES NOT have a stigma of high crime or encroachment. Why tourism can keep rising etc.

Even homeless are not thru its parks downtown with plenty of benches as other cities can or avoid the seating. Most of those sit-down homeless holding cardboard signs are like professional beggars. True homeless have apparently, many places even underground to hide.

So the city has less of that stigma too.

But stats prove if White in the city your getting shot chances are slim. Even those who wonder into the hoods. Now if dealing with drug dealers or loan-sharks ...... I'm sure it increases.

Seems all our cities have issues. Some just more visible outside the hoods. Some less so. Doesn't mean none or increases in robberies and such. Those are not gang related anyway. They deal with their own basically, on their turfs.

Glad no one is runnbf with this. Instead we are running on marathons ..... pun intended,

Maybe next it might go to Wrigley vs Fenway ......

Old 09-25-2019, 08:44 AM

32,088 posts, read 34,696,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Probably accurate, but I would almost say that we're splitting hairs at this point. Both are at the top of the class and it doesn't feel great from my perspective to really try to put one ahead of the other given how close they are.
I know very little about marathons, but I have NEVER in my life heard anything about a Chicago marathon. I assume nearly every major city has a marathon, but the only ones I think get much national recognition outside of the running community are the Boston and New York marathons. I will usually get a push notification on my phone informing me who the winners of those marathons are.

The Boston and New York marathons, IMO, are the equivalent of the Tour de France or Wimbledon in terms of their visibility to people who don't follow those sports. The Chicago marathon might be the equivalent of the Giro d'Italia or the ATP Championships.

Old 09-25-2019, 09:02 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,678,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWright View Post
I am well aware of the demographics of Chicago's violence. The point I was making is that violence occurs on the North Side of the city as well which has a large number of gangs and shootings regularly. To claim the South & West Side are 100% responsible for every violent act which occured during the fireworks or anytime a public function turns deadly is irresponsible and sterotypical scapegoating not founded in truth. Yes those sides of the city are ultra- violent in pockets but North Side gang beefs spill into downtown, events and the beaches too.

Sorry, I didn't realize that someone claimed 100% of crime happened on the South and West sides. Obviously that is a ridiculous statement.

It is very telling that Chicago's African American homicide rate is 35.2/100,000 people while the remaining population's homicide rate is 2.9/100,000 people.

Old 09-25-2019, 09:04 AM

32,088 posts, read 34,696,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
I have run 4 marathons, including Chicago, and can say that your statement is absolutely ridiculous in the running community. The Abbott World Marathon Majors is composed of the six largest and reknown marathons in the world. The six marathons are Boston, Tokyo, London, Berlin, NYC, and Chicago, not in that order. All these races are internationally reknown, with Boston and NYC in the U.S. requiring qualifying times. The Chicago marathon hosts some of the fastest runners in the world due to the course being mostly flat and fast.
But I think he means in general, not just in the running community.

In the "tennis community," everyone knows who Stan Wawrinka is. Outside of the tennis community, not so much. He's not famous. Now Roger Federer and Serena Williams are international superstars and nearly anyone who has had access to a television within the last 15 years knows who they are. They are famous outside of a hard core following in a relatively niche sport.

Almost everything is like this. Most people can't name a famous ballet dancer outside of Baryshnikov. Most people can't name a famous opera singer outside of Pavarotti. Most people can't name a cycling event other than the Tour de France. Likewise, most people don't think of any marathons outside of the Boston or New York marathons.

Old 09-25-2019, 09:05 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,678,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post

This.

Old 09-25-2019, 09:30 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,885,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajanyankee View Post
i know very little about marathons, but i have never in my life heard anything about a chicago marathon. I assume nearly every major city has a marathon, but the only ones i think get much national recognition outside of the running community are the boston and new york marathons. I will usually get a push notification on my phone informing me who the winners of those marathons are.

The boston and new york marathons, imo, are the equivalent of the tour de france or wimbledon in terms of their visibility to people who don't follow those sports. The chicago marathon might be the equivalent of the giro d'italia or the atp championships.
So??

Old 09-25-2019, 09:33 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Sorry, I didn't realize that someone claimed 100% of crime happened on the South and West sides. Obviously that is a ridiculous statement.

It is very telling that Chicago's African American homicide rate is 35.2/100,000 people while the remaining population's homicide rate is 2.9/100,000 people.
Chicago is not unique in that.

If the 56 homicide victims in Boston, in 2018 none were white or Asian. I think about 45 of them were black, giving Boston a black homicide rate of ~28 per 100k and whites and Asians a homicide rate of 0 per 100k. If Boston shooting victims had the same fatality rate as Chicago the homicide rate amongst blacks would be higher- but it’s not due to proximity of hospitals. What is the insistence on making Chicago out to be Beirut? Leave those people alone! They’re not a specific brand of ultra immoral inner city dwellers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City