Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer based on the categories listed?
Chicago 103 59.88%
Boston 69 40.12%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 11:34 AM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Agreed on both fronts. Newton feels like a very separate suburban area in a way Cambridge Somerville and northern brookline do not. Most of Broookline also feels quite different and looks quite different than Boston. Brighton has thsis feel too.

As a native you can definitely tell what makes Cambridge and Somerville different. Younger populaces and much livelier, denser, brighter residential areas.
WHAT!? For someone who’s always so defensive about the definitions of Boston proper, you can’t just write Brighton off as being, feeling, or looking “different than Boston”.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
OMG, take it to the Massachusetts/Boston Forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWright View Post
Chicago's 230 sq miles compared to Boston's 50 doesn't play a role in this? It's just the core? What metric is Boston's core larger than Chicago's since you said Chicago is presently larger in "almost" every metric?"
^Apparently this is a contentious issue for not just the Boston posters. I think Chicago wins in entertainment, restaurants, nightlife, etc. even if you include neighboring cities with Boston. If you don’t, then Chicago mauls Boston in every category.

But why wouldn’t you? Someone living in Roslindale has just as much access to Central Square bars as someone in South Lawndale has access to the bars in Lincoln Park. More even as the two Boston areas are closer than the Chicago ones despite being in two separate cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 01:07 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
WHAT!? For someone who’s always so defensive about the definitions of Boston proper, you can’t just write Brighton off as being, feeling, or looking “different than Boston”.

^Apparently this is a contentious issue for not just the Boston posters. I think Chicago wins in entertainment, restaurants, nightlife, etc. even if you include neighboring cities with Boston. If you don’t, then Chicago mauls Boston in every category.

But why wouldn’t you? Someone living in Roslindale has just as much access to Central Square bars as someone in South Lawndale has access to the bars in Lincoln Park. More even as the two Boston areas are closer than the Chicago ones despite being in two separate cities.
Brighton is Boston and always should be included but something about ti feels like Brookline or, Watertown idk. It just feels not Boston in some parts. Cant put a finger on it. That being says it also can feel like Rozzie

Old 09-17-2019, 01:15 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post

Because Chicago and other areas are built to incorporate far flung areas into the city and make them feel a a part of the city.Chicago is bult in a way that of course South Lawndale feels a aprt of chicago 100% and its grid and rail system make iit integrated into the urban network. I Cambridge was built and founded to feel and be like Cambridge-not Boston. understand this is lost on most people here but it is truth. We all get the proximity argument and most people agree with you. But its an overly simplistic view of historical municipal boundaries IMO

Old 09-17-2019, 02:14 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,911,008 times
All of this arguing over boundaries doesn't change the fact that based on the criteria, Chicago is the logical choice. And frankly, based on any criteria, Chicago wins the head to head against any city other than NYC.

Now, I suspect the Chicago MSA would get the majority vote over Boston's MSA. Which, to me, is a result of Chicago getting the nod over Boston. But, there really isn't one thing I like about Chicago's MSA over Boston's (outside of the efficiency of the commuter/express train stops).

Old 09-17-2019, 02:39 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
All of this arguing over boundaries doesn't change the fact that based on the criteria, Chicago is the logical choice. And frankly, based on any criteria, Chicago wins the head to head against any city other than NYC.

Now, I suspect the Chicago MSA would get the majority vote over Boston's MSA. Which, to me, is a result of Chicago getting the nod over Boston. But, there really isn't one thing I like about Chicago's MSA over Boston's (outside of the efficiency of the commuter/express train stops).
I think you forgot LA was in the US.

Old 09-17-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
I think you forgot LA was in the US.
I'd take SF and San Diego over LA proper.

If we are comparing cities themselves, I'm not sure LA would come out on top of Chicago in a single category. Maybe music/arts? It's not even close for me.

Old 09-17-2019, 03:24 PM

552 posts, read 407,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
Chicago is bigger..I understand this. If the west loop or wicker park were not Chicago but were their own cities or towns would it feel they weren’t Chicago to someone not from the city? As you may know there are towns bordering Boston that share the same urban fabric and that are 500 or so feet from downtown...we aren’t talking about areas 15-20 minutes to downtown that are close to city limits.when comparing Boston to Chicago it makes no sense not to include these areas ie cambridge somerville Chelsea etc
I understand what you are saying as Chicago is a city of many villages and suburbs that are essentailly neighborhoods, we also have areas that are completely surrounded by Chicago such as Norridge yet aren't incorporated. To answer your question if the West Loop was it's own municiplaity than I wouldn't count it as being Chicago. Just like Oak Park and Evanston now. Norridge is completely surronded by Chicago on all sides yet isn't incorporated. I don't know another city that has more "villages" and towns/suburbs than Chicago. We could have well over 3 million easily if these border burbs that are totally Chicago in terms of proximity, urban form and culturally were incorporated.

Long Island isn't NYC and Oakland isn't San Francisco.

Old 09-17-2019, 03:34 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:
Brighton is Boston and always should be included but something about ti feels like Brookline or, Watertown idk. It just feels not Boston in some parts. Cant put a finger on it. That being says it also can feel like Rozzie
I know what you mean. Lived in Brighton 7 years. For the record, I don't think any of this means Brighton is somehow "bad" or "lesser" than other neighborhoods. I actually really liked it there.

Old 09-17-2019, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I know what you mean. Lived in Brighton 7 years. For the record, I don't think any of this means Brighton is somehow "bad" or "lesser" than other neighborhoods. I actually really liked it there.
Agreed on all fronts here. Brighton blends seamlessly into Newton to the west, and does in some ways feel more like Watertown.

Which kind of ties back into the original point- Kendall Sq., for example, feels more like Boston than most of Boston.

Old 09-17-2019, 04:22 PM

552 posts, read 407,565 times
Quote:
Because Chicago and other areas are built to incorporate far flung areas into the city and make them feel a a part of the city.Chicago is bult in a way that of course South Lawndale feels a aprt of chicago 100% and its grid and rail system make iit integrated into the urban network. I Cambridge was built and founded to feel and be like Cambridge-not Boston. understand this is lost on most people here but it is truth. We all get the proximity argument and most people agree with you. But its an overly simplistic view of historical municipal boundaries IMO
This is exactly what I meant when I said 230 sq. miles compared to 50. In Chicago you can't help but sense how massive it is because the continuity of urbanity and density that radiates for miles and miles from the core. You can be 10 miles from downtown in Rogers Park and you are still very much in the city with 3-flats and row houses densely packed on a grid as well as great prewar architecture, mid/high-rises, parks and retail corridors that feel no different than Logan Square, Bucktown or Wicker Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City