Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2019, 11:55 AM

12,163 posts, read 8,002,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
The issue with Tampa is that the metro has three large cities/urban centers all within very close proximity to each other, with St-Pete having a larger, more active downtown than the principle city (Tampa.) Even with this large project, I still think it will remain a somewhat sleepy, boring place. Unless somehow they can convince everyone to suddenly skip out on Clearwater and St-Pete (not happening.)

What they REALLY need to do to revamp downtown, is connect it to Ybor City (i.e., clean up that area between Downtown and Ybor and turn it into a walkable destination.) Until then... Water St./Channelside will bring in SOME life, but outside of during events at Amalie Arena, I predict it will continue to be dead.
So true... Tampa IMO has one of the best large city downtown layouts/bones in Florida.. but there just needs to be some work put into it. Connecting Ybor to Downtown would make Tampa amazing.

Such a cool city... 100% respect
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2019, 03:25 PM

17,161 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
So true... Tampa IMO has one of the best large city downtown layouts/bones in Florida.. but there just needs to be some work put into it. Connecting Ybor to Downtown would make Tampa amazing.

Such a cool city... 100% respect
One of? I think it has THE best layout.

Old 10-12-2019, 09:35 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,669,482 times
I am hopeful too. But I tend to agree. I think Tampa has some cool bones. But it certainly gets outpaced by St Pete. And most similar sized metros from vibrancy. Even with our recent developments (Armature Works, Sparkman Wharf, etc.) it’s not only not helping core vibrancy.. but it’s literally drawing people away from the core.

Much more attention/investment should be paid to Ybor, and also Franklin St, downtown, IMO

It really does have a great layout. Similar to New Orleans actually, IMO.

Old 11-13-2019, 06:03 PM

10,064 posts, read 14,434,667 times
Memphis getting hotter with development--a huge $1.1 billion dollar Memphis development announced adjacent to downtown, today.

A developer to completely redevelop the Pinch District, and plans on building a residential, hotel, retail and commercial district between the pyramid and St Jude's campus, invigorating this area that is littered with vacant lots and sparse older buildings.

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/..._news_headline

Old 11-13-2019, 07:13 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Maybe we can include other types of developments as well, such as general infrastructure, transit, public/civic spaces.

This

I haven't read about any Denver-sized rail projects getting launched. Skyscrapers are kind of useless when you're stuck in traffic and can't get to them.

Old 11-13-2019, 07:44 PM

17,161 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
This

I haven't read about any Denver-sized rail projects getting launched. Skyscrapers are kind of useless when you're stuck in traffic and can't get to them.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%A...%A9tropolitain

Old 04-28-2021, 06:22 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,744,007 times
New renderings, groundbreaking detail downtown's $5B Centennial Yards

Just wanted to share this Atlanta project, it will completely change the face of Downtown and lead to a mass improvement in walkability and density.

Old 04-28-2021, 06:37 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,085,339 times
How about a floating island park on Manhattan's West Side? Little Island is almost here:

https://hudsonriverpark.org/location...f%20New%20York.

https://www.hobokengirl.com/little-i...iver-new-york/

Old 04-28-2021, 07:14 AM

36,656 posts, read 67,506,468 times
The Oakland A's are proposing a $12 billion development project on Oakland's waterfront that includes a $1 billion, privately financed ballpark. If it actually happens, this would be the biggest project in the city's history and basically create a brand new neighborhood and significantly alter the skyline. We'll see if this notoriously NIMBY-infested city full of red tape can make it happen-hopefully yes.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/san-...oject-vow.html

Old 04-29-2021, 12:04 AM

53 posts, read 32,728 times
Vertical construction has begun on five mixed-used buildings for Chapter 1B of the Port Covington redevelopment in Baltimore. It’s one of the largest urban redevelopment projects in the country right now. The full plan includes over 18 million square feet of mixed-use development, with 2.5 miles of restored waterfront and 40 acres of parks and green space. This will no doubt be very beneficial for Baltimore. It will be a like a second downtown when fully completed.

Renderings of Chapter 1
https://www.southbmore.com/wp-conten...ter1_Match.jpg

https://www.google.com/amp/s/flipboa...3Fformat%3Damp

Construction on the first five mixed-use buildings is expected to be completed in fall of 2022.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City