Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2019, 10:17 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times

Advertisements

I sure hope the Portland mentioned is Portland, ME.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2019, 10:33 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,542,189 times
I have never been to Portland, ME but am a HUGE fan of Portland, OR. They do the basics right in PDX, meaning many restaurants serve outstanding artisanal bread (either from Ken’s or Grand Central Bakery) and they do a great job selecting and offering excellent wines by the glass—most from the nearby Willamette Valley. If you can’t do the basics right, odds are the stars of your menu will fall flat as was the case with the last West Coast city I moved from. PDX is one of my favorite restaurant cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I sure hope the Portland mentioned is Portland, ME.

Old 11-05-2019, 10:37 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
I have never been to Portland, ME but am a HUGE fan of Portland, OR. They do the basics right in PDX, meaning many restaurants serve outstanding artisanal bread (either from Ken’s or Grand Central Bakery) and they do a great job selecting and offering excellent wines by the glass—most from the nearby Willamette Valley. If you can’t do the basics right, odds are the stars of your menu will fall flat as was the case with the last West Coast city I moved from. PDX is one of my favorite restaurant cities.

Fair enough. I have been to both a fair amount, and I'd take Portland ME in a heartbeat straight up, never mind per capita.

Old 11-06-2019, 07:15 PM

47 posts, read 43,490 times
There's no way Portland OR is numero uno.

Unless you are considering the amount of food trucks per capita

Old 11-12-2019, 07:04 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Yeah, Houston has to be third at worst when it comes to Asian food.
I think NYC, LA, and Bay Area have a lock on top three , but Houston has a good argument after that with maybe a few other contenders.

Old 11-12-2019, 08:55 AM

8,323 posts, read 5,484,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think NYC, LA, and Bay Area have a lock on top three , but Houston has a good argument after that with maybe a few other contenders.
Thats very fair. Those three are definitely the top. I think Houston would make a good case for next place along with Seattle. IMO, the Asian food in Houston is better than Chicago or Boston. DC is an up and comer though in Asian food. Id probably give Seattle the nod for 4th place and Houston for 5th in Asian food. DC, Chicago, Boston, San Diego, and Dallas probably after that.

Old 11-12-2019, 09:17 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Thats very fair. Those three are definitely the top. I think Houston would make a good case for next place along with Seattle. IMO, the Asian food in Houston is better than Chicago or Boston. DC is an up and comer though in Asian food. Id probably give Seattle the nod for 4th place and Houston for 5th in Asian food. DC, Chicago, Boston, San Diego, and Dallas probably after that.
I feel Chicago is up there as a contender with Houston, Seattle, and Honolulu. Honolulu’s a weird one though because it’s so small in comparison, but it really goes heavy on Asian and Asian-derived cuisine.

Old 11-12-2019, 09:18 AM

Not so sure about placing Houston above Chicago, overall, or right after it. Definitely not placing San Diego 6th or 7th overall (maybe Asian)....as far as Asian, very few cities do Chinese well, many do Thai and Japanese well, some do Indian well, not sure how widespread the apparent love for Vietnamese is for the majority of the country (I could name at least a dozen cuisines that I prefer before Vietnamese comes to mind, if at all). Asian, outside of Chinese, certainly seems to be a higher criteria for West Coasters/western half than East Coasters.

Quote:

Last edited by elchevere; 11-12-2019 at 09:52 AM..

Old 11-12-2019, 09:39 AM

8,323 posts, read 5,484,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Not so sure about placing Houston above Chicago, overall, or right after it. Definitely not placing San Diego 6th or 7th overall...as far as Asian, very few cities do Chinese well, many do Thai and Japanese well, some do Indian well, not sure how widespread the apparent love for Vietnamese is for the majority of the country (I could name at least a dozen cuisines that I prefer before Vietnamese comes to mind, if at all). Asian, outside of Chinese, certainly seems to be a higher criteria for West Coasters/western half than East Coasters.
Having lived in Chicago and Houston, Houston definitely has better Asian food IMO. I would say Chicago is a better food city overall, but not in Asian cuisine.

Its not really about whether a person likes Vietnamese food less than Chinese or Korean or whatever. They all have to be taken into consideration when considering it.

Old 11-12-2019, 09:41 AM

Ok...you were talking Asian cuisine only.

Quote:
Having lived in Chicago and Houston, Houston definitely has better Asian food IMO. I would say Chicago is a better food city overall, but not in Asian cuisine.

Its not really about whether a person likes Vietnamese food less than Chinese or Korean or whatever. They all have to be taken into consideration when considering it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City