Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2019, 01:52 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,371,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Having lived in Chicago and Houston, Houston definitely has better Asian food IMO. I would say Chicago is a better food city overall, but not in Asian cuisine.

Its not really about whether a person likes Vietnamese food less than Chinese or Korean or whatever. They all have to be taken into consideration when considering it.
I think the two both do pretty alright for East Asian, with Houston doing better with Southeast Asian and Chicago doing better with South Asian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2019, 08:46 AM

12,824 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:
Having lived in Chicago and Houston, Houston definitely has better Asian food IMO. I would say Chicago is a better food city overall, but not in Asian cuisine.

Its not really about whether a person likes Vietnamese food less than Chinese or Korean or whatever. They all have to be taken into consideration when considering it.
Despite a larger Asian population, Seattle's Chinese food cannot touch Houston's. Very lopsided in Houston's favor.

Old 11-14-2019, 09:26 AM

8,323 posts, read 5,484,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Despite a larger Asian population, Seattle's Chinese food cannot touch Houston's. Very lopsided in Houston's favor.
That might be true but Seattle definitely has better Korean and Japanese.

Seattle and Houston's Asian population are actually almost identical too.

Seattle: 553,171
Houston: 552,614

Old 11-14-2019, 09:31 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,542,189 times
A stretch but a 2.5 hour drive north to Vancouver will get you very good Chinese food and arguably the best Indian resto in North America (Vij’s).

Quote:

Last edited by elchevere; 11-14-2019 at 09:55 AM..

Old 11-14-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
A stretch but a 2.5 hour drive north to Vancouver will get you very good Chinese food and arguably the best Indian resto in North America (Vij’s).
To Vancouver has the best Indian or Chinese food is not accurate at all to me. Vancouver does have some of the best Punjabi and Cantonese food on earth but is extremely lacking in the other regions from India and China. Id go so far as to say Vancouver has the best Cantonese food outside of China even. But Vancouver's Indian food scene is dominated by one region of India and same with Chinese. Its like saying San Antonio has the best Latin food because its has the best Tex-Mex. A city like LA, Houston, NYC, or Miami would beg to differ!

Old 11-14-2019, 11:20 AM

I said restaurant, not entire Indian cuisine, when mentioning Vij’s (some agree with me)...I also said very good Chinese food, not the best...yes/no/maybe?...

https://www.cntraveler.com/restauran...ijs-restaurant

https://stevedolinsky.com/chicago-tr...unday-travel-6

http://www.vinesmag.com/sitepages/?a...m%27s%20Choice

Quote:
To Vancouver has the best Indian or Chinese food is not accurate at all to me. Vancouver does have some of the best Punjabi and Cantonese food on earth but is extremely lacking in the other regions from India and China. Id go so far as to say Vancouver has the best Cantonese food outside of China even. But Vancouver's Indian food scene is dominated by one region of India and same with Chinese. Its like saying San Antonio has the best Latin food because its has the best Tex-Mex. A city like LA, Houston, NYC, or Miami would beg to differ!

Last edited by elchevere; 11-14-2019 at 11:28 AM..

Old 11-14-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
I said restaurant, not entire Indian cuisine, when mentioning Vij’s (some agree with me)...I also said very good Chinese food, not the best...yes/no/maybe?...

https://www.cntraveler.com/restauran...ijs-restaurant

https://stevedolinsky.com/chicago-tr...unday-travel-6

Vines Magazine
I actually had a conversation about Vancouver the other day with a friend of mine from there. I suggested that while Vancouver is very diverse, its very specifically diverse. It has a massive Chinese population, but they are almost universally Cantonese. It has a massive Indian population but its almost entirely Punjabi. Its not similar to a place like Los Angeles which has a massive Asian population from almost every corner or Toronto that has a massive Indian population from all over.

Its a great city and the food there is very good so Im not at all taking away from that.

Bringing it to the comparison between Seattle and Houston, I do give an edge to Seattle's Asian food as more of a tie breaker. Houston has better Vietnamese and Chinese. Seattle has better Korean and Japanese. Both have similarly good Thai and Southeast Asian. But when I think about the biggest gap in quality of all the above, its the Japanese food. Thats Houston's glaring weak spot but Seattle excels in it. Seattle probably edges Houston out in Filipino food but Im less educated on it simply because I dont like it.

Though if we are speaking of Asia the continent as opposed to East/Southeast Asia, Houston would come back on top for its better food from South Asia.

To me the city that has the most disappointing East Asian food for a city with an Asian community as large as it has is Chicago. I find both Houston and DC are better even though Chicago is a better food city than both overall.

Old 11-14-2019, 11:36 AM

Yup... I used to enjoy restaurants on Denman St and in Kitsilano when I used to go up there 3x/year when I lived out West.

Quote:
I actually had a conversation about Vancouver the other day with a friend of mine from there. I suggested that while Vancouver is very diverse, its very specifically diverse. It has a massive Chinese population, but they are almost universally Cantonese. It has a massive Indian population but its almost entirely Punjabi. Its not similar to a place like Los Angeles which has a massive Asian population from almost every corner or Toronto that has a massive Indian population from all over.

Its a great city and the food there is very good so Im not at all taking away from that.

Old 11-14-2019, 01:36 PM

12,824 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:

Thanks for the numbers.. I guess given it's smaller size and population, Seattle feels more Asian, for better or worse.

Old 11-14-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Thanks for the numbers.. I guess given it's smaller size and population, Seattle feels more Asian, for better or worse.
Yeah. They are 14% of the population in Seattle and 8% of the population in Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City