Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2019, 05:54 PM

3,540 posts, read 2,329,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
This notion that anyone here sits around trying to downplay Chicago or anywhere else for that matter is laughable(nobody cares) as we outgrew Chicago a long time ago and our real competition isnt even in the US but rather foreign rivals like Beijing, Shenzhen and Bengaluru, cities at the forefront lf global tech innovation.

Instead people bend over backwards to downplay the Bay Area because they just refuse to acknowledge facts.

The Bay Area can sure count on you to make up for that, though, right?
No one is "downplaying" The Bay Area

Any person with a semblance of understanding on how the basics of economies work, understands that the financial & political sector are the underlying foundation on how economies... not the tech industry. Tech while important helps them grow and expand, which brings me to my second point.

The Bay Area's tech industry is highly specialized and revolves around high-tech not low-tech. The Low tech industry, i.e Medical, Aeronautics, Automotive, Agricultural, Construction advancements, etc.. is not based in The Bay Area and is evenly spread throughout the larger metros of the nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2019, 06:54 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,548,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Washington DC is more powerful than London, because America is more powerful than the UK.
DC is not more powerful or influential or anything close to being the beast on the world stage that London is.

Quit embarrassing yourself.

London being the seat of government takes a back seat to London the financial power, the media power, the corporate hub, the international hub, etc.

DC by comparison is a one trick mule(a deaf mule with three legs with sight in only eye) compared to London. As if.

Old 11-26-2019, 07:02 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,132 posts, read 7,575,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
DC is not more powerful or influential or anything close to being the beast on the world stage that London is.

London being the seat of government takes a back seat to London the financial power, the media power, the corporate hub, the international hub, etc.

DC by comparison is a one trick mule(a deaf mule with three legs with sight in only eye) compared to London. As if.
Let a war start between the two nations. Guess which city would have final/biggest say so... it ain’t London.

Old 11-26-2019, 07:16 PM

4,214 posts, read 3,299,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Let a war start between the two nations. Guess which city would have final/biggest say so... it ain’t London.
As a city in the world, D.C. is WAY closer to Ottawa than London.

Resorting to using examples of military power as the "go to" makes D.C. look even more small and insignificant. As it has been pointed out before, London, if anything, would try to avoid bringing up government period.

Ask ANYONE-"hey what's the big deal about D.C.?"

100% of the time you'll be getting, "dude its the capital bro" as your answer.

As has been pointed out before, if the capital were moved, D.C. would be a Greenville or Richmond, an addendum to the Baltimore metro.

I could be wrong. Imagine the U.S. capital was moved to Missouri. How would D.C. have any relevance? Help me gain new perspective!

Old 11-26-2019, 07:19 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,892,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post

Any person with a semblance of understanding on how the basics of economies work, understands that the financial & political sector are the underlying foundation on how economies... not the tech industry. Tech while important helps them grow and expand, which brings me to my second point.

The Bay Area's tech industry is highly specialized and revolves around high-tech not low-tech. The Low tech industry, i.e Medical, Aeronautics, Automotive, Agricultural, Construction advancements, etc.. is not based in The Bay Area and is evenly spread throughout the larger metros of the nation.
I didn't say that....I quoted that...my comment was the last part...after what I bolded. I, obviously, went about "quoting" another person's post incorrectly. I guess that's weird. I'm tired, honestly, of all the Bay Area boosting. You'd think it was the only important city in the country...lol. I was there very recently, and trust me, I was not impressed by much of what I saw. Desirability was the last thing, that came to mind.

Old 11-26-2019, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

DC being a "one trick mule" (which it isn't) still doesn't take away from the fact that it's the most geo-politically powerful city on the planet, irregardless of how economically powerful London is as stand alone city which on that note; The Bay Area, Tokyo, Dallas, LA, Paris, Seoul & Osaka have a larger GDP's than Greater London. Yet no one in their right mind is going to argue London is the lesser global city on a multi faceted level.

You can't compare DC to London because they are dynamically different cities. The comparison of the two cities being seats of their countries governments are superficial at best. London by itself accounts for 1/4 of the UK's GDP. The top 25 largest cities in the US compose 1/2 of the countries GDP https://www.statista.com/chart/18684/us-cities-by-gdp/

In regards to London's government taking a back seat, thats absolutely false, does Brexit ring a bell?

Politics by their very nature have bigger global effects/implications than finance or the tech industry. Global economic impacting decision are made in places like DC or London, not the Bay Area.

Last edited by Joakim3; 11-26-2019 at 07:51 PM..

Old 11-26-2019, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
I didn't say that....I quoted that...my comment was the last part...after what I bolded. I, obviously, went about "quoting" another person's post incorrectly. I guess that's weird. I'm tired, honestly, of all the Bay Area boosting. You'd think it was the only important city in the country...lol. I was there very recently, and trust me, I was not impressed by much of what I saw. Desirability was the last thing, that came to mind.
Apologizes..

I miss read your comment, touche.

Old 11-26-2019, 08:07 PM

724 posts, read 561,047 times
I wish someone would love me as much as some of you guys love your cities.

Old 11-26-2019, 08:24 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,548,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
As a city in the world, D.C. is WAY closer to Ottawa than London.

Resorting to using examples of military power as the "go to" makes D.C. look even more small and insignificant. As it has been pointed out before, London, if anything, would try to avoid bringing up government period.
It's hilarious(and so antithetical to our free market economy) how they are so desperately trying to portray government regulatory agencies to the same level of importance as industries, companies and innovations themselves. That is so outrageously laughable, but I'm not surprised.

Old 11-26-2019, 08:33 PM

809 posts, read 470,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post

The Bay Area is a huge BioTech hub. Thinking about Genentech, Jazz Pharmaceuticals, the UCSF, Auris Health (medical devices), Twist Bioscience, among many other biotech firms. Also, the Bay Area is a major government center with many California state, Federal, and local agencies employing thousands of residents. The economy is more diversified and resilient than many people think. The most critical issue right now in the region is re-thinking existing land use policies to jump start housing production and then planning the engineering works around how to modernize the transportation infrastructure to support new builds/spatial patterns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City