Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2019, 07:23 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdman22 View Post
You’re correct I didn’t add this in on purpose. I’m looking at $135k - $150k in Chicago and $140k - $160k in NYC. As you’re probably aware, I wanted it to be concise and not result in information overload. The differential isn’t material enough to note imo.
With those numbers, things differ a bit when between a situation where you hit top of the range in Chicago and bottom of the range in NYC versus vice versa. The difference still gives you a comfy life in NYC, but there’s more a good deal more extra in Chicago’s favor in the former situation as 10K more on top of maybe 20k less in expenses is comparatively a very different lifestyle given the range you’re talking. It means a lot more nights out to meet people in the first place, a more central apartment to get to places, and a greater budget to even meet people outside the city via travel. A practically 30k difference in the most favorable to Chicago situation is a big difference in what you can do. If the other way around, I’d maybe lean towards NYC just slightly, but maybe list out your preferences and other factors. One thing that helps is having people you know and like actually in the city already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2019, 10:07 PM

330 posts, read 293,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I guessed almost right on with the numbers. Your QOL in Chicago will be higher, but you will not struggle in NYC. It's personal preference. If we were talking like $75k in either, I'd say go Chicago since $75k in NYC isn't much at all. But once you're over the $100k range, NYC becomes easy enough to handle. A little budgeting and a little less eating out for the trade off of living in NYC.
Quote:
I’m a big 4 tax manager, up for promotion to senior manager this year. I’m actually 7 years into my career and have 7 left for partner (this is an estimate could be slightly more or less).

Also yes big 4 partners make this much.
I would say for Big4/Top Consulting/IB, you can’t go wrong with NYC. Most of the Big4 offices are around the Midtown Manhattan area.

Old 10-19-2019, 11:41 AM

2,545 posts, read 3,295,244 times
Quote:
You’re correct I didn’t add this in on purpose. I’m looking at $135k - $150k in Chicago and $140k - $160k in NYC. As you’re probably aware, I wanted it to be concise and not result in information overload. The differential isn’t material enough to note imo.
I wouldn't listen to anyone who says that you're gonna "struggle" in NYC on 150k. That's total nonsense, peddled based on false stereotypes by people who likely have never lived in NY. You can still find a perfectly decent studio or 1BR in Manhattan for $3k/mth (or less), though of course the amount of space you get will vary depending on the neighborhood. Just go on StreetEasy and see for yourself. You won't be living in luxury in NYC on $150k, that's for sure, but you can be perfectly comfortable as a single guy on that income (especially if you have no debt). I know fresh out of college types who live in luxury Manhattan highrises on half your income and they are doing just fine (though obviously in roommate situations and careful with their budget).

The main difference between NYC and Chicago comes down to space -- you can have less space and live in NYC or have more space (probably much more) and live in Chicago. As far as other expenses, the difference is unlikely to be material. Is NYC worth the sacrifice in living space? Depends on who you ask. Obviously people who live in NYC will say yes (and people who live in Chicago will probably say no). Both cities offer more than enough amenities to satisfy your criteria, but they offer it in very difference packages. NYC is extremely dense, busy, crowded and intense. Chicago is more mellow and spread out. Leaving your office in Manhattan at 8 or 9pm (or even later) you will see streets teeming with people, and the subway still very busy. In Chicago -- probably not so much. Only you can answer how important stuff like that is to you.

Old 10-19-2019, 01:11 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,154,770 times
Quote:
I’m a big 4 tax manager, up for promotion to senior manager this year. I’m actually 7 years into my career and have 7 left for partner (this is an estimate could be slightly more or less).

Also yes big 4 partners make this much.
Where are you moving from? Have you lived in either of these cities before?

Old 10-19-2019, 01:51 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,885,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Look at OP's posts from two months ago...living in San Diego, and looking to move, and picking up women, was his number one priority. These threads the OP started, don't jive, IMO.

Old 10-19-2019, 04:37 PM

12,822 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Look at OP's posts from two months ago...living in San Diego, and looking to move, and picking up women, was his number one priority. These threads the OP started, don't jive, IMO.
Nice catch. It's like he's trying to live his dream life on here.

Old 10-19-2019, 07:38 PM

14 posts, read 12,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
San Diego, no only visited. Just trying to get some thoughts on people that have lived in either or have more experience with them.

Old 10-19-2019, 07:44 PM

14 posts, read 12,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Nice catch. It's like he's trying to live his dream life on here.
I guess I’m living the dream....

Old 10-19-2019, 07:47 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,239,801 times
Quote:
San Diego, no only visited. Just trying to get some thoughts on people that have lived in either or have more experience with them.
You need locals comments in their city forums for more on that. Some city forums has asking advice on moving etc. I know the Chicago forum does. I'm sure they could offer women advice and dating ..... in one of them threads or your own. Also real estate links on places available and cost. You just need to watch HOA fees generally not released in apartment and condo sights.

Some might day San Diego's weather is living a dream among other things .....

Old 10-19-2019, 09:49 PM

12,822 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:
I guess I’m living the dream....
On city-data. Bump up the salary though, won't be as humble, but make it seem humble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City