Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 10:08 PM

14 posts, read 12,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Yeah this is most important. Where is the office located? Or at least where will your presence be required most days per week?
Midtown area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2019, 08:07 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,338,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdman22 View Post
Midtown area.
Depends on your vibe then. But anything within the West Village, the Village, LES, SoHo, TriBeCa, Chelsea, Union Square, and Flatiron will be an easy commute. I personally love the East Village, but it's not for everyone and subway access isn't great.

Old 11-05-2019, 08:26 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,359,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papi-p View Post
I'm a former New Yorker and another single 30 something guy. I'd say neither...

I can't see someone from San Diego enjoying Chicago.
It's like the polar opposite of everything San Diego is about.
San Diego is highly health/fitness oriented and has a perfect climate.
Chicago just doesn't on either front. The ratios are probably better in Chicago than San Diego, but the lack of attractive women kind of nullifies that fact. I've lived/visited a lot of places, and Chicago is the one I'm least impressed with talent-wise. It may be worse than DC... The biggest upside is people are very friendly in Chicago compared to NYC and the girls are more approachable.

New York City has something for everyone. I just don't see Chicago as "the cheaper NYC". It's a provincial, working class kind of town with a few gentrified hipster areas that aren't anything special over other cities. The thing about NYC though is in your 30s, you will start prioritizing other things very soon - and NYC will tire quickly unless you're making a lot more money.

Atlanta and Miami are growing cities with bright futures, great climates, and I see them as better "cheap NYC alternatives", both with better women/dating opportunities for men than Chicago. Miami is probably a little better for nightlife/quality, but Atlanta aint no slouch in that area either. Atlanta has the best m/f ratio of any big city and a cool vibe really -- I loved it when I visited for labor day.

I'm visiting Chicago right now and considered living here (this is a recon visit), but I've already reconsidered. The real striking thing about Chicago is how segregated it is. Parts of Chicago north of the loop are as white as anywhere in Nebraska. It's a beautiful city, but the climate is a high cost to pay that make any significant positives about the city have a lot less weight in my opinion. The crime here is intense. Chicago is a dying star waiting to collapse... Atlanta and Miami have their crime issues, but the vibe and energy in the air in those places is far less depressing. Atlanta has a great economy and is growing by leaps and bounds and Miami is on the verge of a renaissance. My friend just moved to Miami recently and he's so happy there.
What a crazy post. There are construction cranes all over the city. Definitely not provincial nor working class city any longer, if it was at one time. The areas north of the Loop are as white as Nebraska? You have definitely never been to Chicago. Climate? Wasn't the New York area just hit with a couple of tornados, Madison NJ declared a state of emergency? What about all the N'oreasters? As a California transplant here I have plenty of company who love Chicago. Lack of attractive women? I found my beautiful wife here, and dated a lot of beautiful women before I found her.

Papi, so sick of reading posts from guys like you who stereotype and bash and who pretend to have lived here or think of moving here. Chicago continues to become more affluent and educated ( moreso than NYC today ) and is far from a dying star. The city is far better than it was ten years ago, and the crime rate continues to fall. If Chicago is working class with a few hipster areas no better than others, then I must be in the wrong city or an alternate universe. Quit making things up, my man.

Old 11-05-2019, 09:35 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
What a crazy post. There are construction cranes all over the city. Definitely not provincial nor working class city any longer, if it was at one time. The areas north of the Loop are as white as Nebraska? You have definitely never been to Chicago. Climate? Wasn't the New York area just hit with a couple of tornados, Madison NJ declared a state of emergency? What about all the N'oreasters? As a California transplant here I have plenty of company who love Chicago. Lack of attractive women? I found my beautiful wife here, and dated a lot of beautiful women before I found her.

Papi, so sick of reading posts from guys like you who stereotype and bash and who pretend to have lived here or think of moving here. Chicago continues to become more affluent and educated ( moreso than NYC today ) and is far from a dying star. The city is far better than it was ten years ago, and the crime rate continues to fall. If Chicago is working class with a few hipster areas no better than others, then I must be in the wrong city or an alternate universe. Quit making things up, my man.

I would suggest Chicago on the OPs salary, I think its one of the best big cities for its money in the U.S.

But re the bolded, that's just hogwash. NYC is fantastic, but 150k doesn't go near as far in it as Chicago and I think the upper Midwest is just gorgeous (getting easily to Wisconsin accounts for a lot). NYC is MUCH more affluent.

Old 11-05-2019, 10:22 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,239,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I would suggest Chicago on the OPs salary, I think its one of the best big cities for its money in the U.S.

But re the bolded, that's just hogwash. NYC is fantastic, but 150k doesn't go near as far in it as Chicago and I think the upper Midwest is just gorgeous (getting easily to Wisconsin accounts for a lot). NYC is MUCH more affluent.
I think that this % higher educated comes from this news...

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/arti...thier-educated

From link a year ago:

According to American Community Survey data compiled by Zotti, Ed Zotti, a demographer who works for the Central Area Committee and crunched the data.

Other demographers say the data looks correct to them, but interpreted some of it in different ways.

- the share of Chicagoans over age 25 with bachelor's degrees or higher went from 29.3% in 2006 to 38.5% in 2016.
- the increase particularly strong since 2011.
- that hike was larger than any of the country's four other most-populous cities of New York, Los Angeles, Houston and Philadelphia.
- more than twice the 4.3% national increase Chicago had.
- a greater share of adults in once-blue-collar Chicago now hold degree 38.5% in New York 37% or the U.S. as a whole 31.3% in 2017.

The pattern is similar in the share of Chicago households with income above $100,000 a year.

*** But as is the case ALWAYS ..... NEVER say anything over NYC ..... EVER. But still the increase for Chicago is valid. What the other poster was referring to.

Also, the OP CHOSE NYC ALREADY. Noting a HIGHER then anticipated salary given. So that apparently made up the difference in cost.

Old 11-05-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
- the share of Chicagoans over age 25 with bachelor's degrees or higher went from 29.3% in 2006 to 38.5% in 2016.
- the increase particularly strong since 2011.
- that hike was larger than any of the country's four other most-populous cities of New York, Los Angeles, Houston and Philadelphia. .

The hike is impressive indeed, but the end result is still less than Manhattan, which is what most people mean when they say New York City.

And again, I think Chicago is a great city (only was able to live there a year after finishing grad school in Wisconsin) and one of the best values around.

Old 11-05-2019, 10:48 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,359,044 times
Quote:
The hike is impressive indeed, but the end result is still less than Manhattan, which is what most people mean when they say New York City.

And again, I think Chicago is a great city (only was able to live there a year after finishing grad school in Wisconsin) and one of the best values around.
You can't pick and choose. I guess if you limited Chicago to the Loop. Old Town, Lincoln Park and River North you would get the same high income result. The Southside is still part of Chicago and its demographics, and the Bronx is still part of New York and its stats. You can't ignore them, just like you can't ignore a blemish or broken leg when you are talking about a person's body.

That said, yes Manhattan is a beast, and a great place, but so is the rent and cost of home ownership that almost wipes out any advantage it has over anywhere else,

Old 11-05-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
You can't pick and choose. I guess if you limited Chicago to the Loop. Old Town, Lincoln Park and River North you would get the same high income result. The Southside is still part of Chicago and its demographics, and the Bronx is still part of New York and its stats. You can't ignore them, just like you can't ignore a blemish or broken leg when you are talking about a person's body.

That said, yes Manhattan is a beast, and a great place, but so is the rent and cost of home ownership that almost wipes out any advantage it has over anywhere else,

I don't know about you, but when people reference NYC they mean Manhattan, IME. If I'm going to NYC it means I'm going to NYC. If I'm going to Brooklyn like I did last weekend, I say I'm going to Brooklyn. That's how I was raised and seems to be common parlance. Heck, even in places like Yonkers, the people that live there say we're going into "the city", meaning, NYC, meaning Manhattan. No one says when they're moving to the Bronx that they're moving to NYC.

When I moved to Chicago, or visited Chicago, we just said Chicago.

Old 11-05-2019, 11:32 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,239,801 times
Quote:
I don't know about you, but when people reference NYC they mean Manhattan, IME. If I'm going to NYC it means I'm going to NYC. If I'm going to Brooklyn like I did last weekend, I say I'm going to Brooklyn. That's how I was raised and seems to be common parlance. Heck, even in places like Yonkers, the people that live there say we're going into "the city", meaning, NYC, meaning Manhattan. No one says when they're moving to the Bronx that they're moving to NYC.

When I moved to Chicago, or visited Chicago, we just said Chicago.
I shouldn't. I'm fine with your opinions and still complements to Chicago. But still by far ..... most visitors/tourist and those going to the city. Are basically centered and heading to its Core and surrounding areas. So basically, a kind of Manhattan Island too.

Chicago is still a very one Core-Centric city.

Old 11-05-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
I shouldn't. I'm fine with your opinions and still complements to Chicago. But still by far ..... most visitors/tourist and those going to the city. Are basically centered and heading to its Core and surrounding areas. So basically, a kind of Manhattan Island too.

Chicago is still a very one Core-Centric city.

Not sure what your point is, but it doesn't matter. No one says "Manhattan Island" that I've ever heard of. They say New York City or if they're from there, The City. No one when I lived in Chicago said we're visiting Inner Loop Ville or whatever... we/they did say Lincoln Park, Wicker Park, Ukrainian Village, Boy's Town, etc. It's small enough it was just Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City