Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 01:02 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Ironically, I went out the most when I had the least amount of money. The more you advance your career, the less likely you are to go out no matter how much you are making in any city. People like to say "First you get the money, then the women come" but that's not really true. There are a lot of bros (party promoters, DJs, general F-bois) who skip the money part and go directly for the women. Oddly enough, your career can be a real impediment to meeting women since you simply won't have time to balance an active social life with the demands of a competitive work environment.

That said, I'm not advocating pursuing the F-boi route. I'm only making the point that a lot of well-paid guys are losers in love because they don't have the time to go out and meet women and don't spend the time honing their social skills to compete against savvier guys. All the "red pill" guys on the internet are evidence of this.
I get it, but I'm assuming there's about the same amount of work being put in at both--which might not actually be true. With more disposable income at the same amount of work, then you get more options for more things in general. That's not a hard and fast rule, but it's not unreasonable either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2019, 01:50 PM

32,088 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I get it, but I'm assuming there's about the same amount of work being put in at both--which might not actually be true. With more disposable income at the same amount of work, then you get more options for more things in general. That's not a hard and fast rule, but it's not unreasonable either.
Yeah, but I don't see how more money would lead to "more nights out." If you were unemployed with no income, I could see how that might be the case, but making $150,000 versus $300,000 a year (assuming the same number of hours worked) is not going to make any difference as far as how many nights you're going to go out per week. This is especially true if your main goal is to meet women and not necessarily eat at the fanciest restaurants multiple times per week.

Old 11-03-2019, 09:04 AM

14 posts, read 12,560 times
Thanks everyone! I ended up selecting NYC and was given a much more generous offer than I was anticipating earlier. I move there next month. For those of you in NYC or have lived there, any suggestions on building or neighborhood? Looking for good nightlife, top tier gyms, natural foods store nearby and easy subway access. My budget is around $4,500 a month.

Old 11-03-2019, 01:20 PM

9,378 posts, read 9,326,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdman22 View Post
Thanks everyone! I ended up selecting NYC and was given a much more generous offer than I was anticipating earlier. I move there next month. For those of you in NYC or have lived there, any suggestions on building or neighborhood? Looking for good nightlife, top tier gyms, natural foods store nearby and easy subway access. My budget is around $4,500 a month.
Flat Iron, NoMad, Chelsea are my tops picks.

Old 11-03-2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Yeah, but I don't see how more money would lead to "more nights out." If you were unemployed with no income, I could see how that might be the case, but making $150,000 versus $300,000 a year (assuming the same number of hours worked) is not going to make any difference as far as how many nights you're going to go out per week. This is especially true if your main goal is to meet women and not necessarily eat at the fanciest restaurants multiple times per week.
If we’re talking about having roughly the same amount of work for about the same salary, then it means that you could live in a more central area for nightlife and commutes which frees up more time, hiring an occasional housekeeping service so you don’t need to spend as much time doing so yourself, and not worrying as much about budget when going out while still socking away a good deal in savings. 150k between NYC and Chicago for the same job does make a decent difference, though 300k doesn’t.

Old 11-03-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Where’s your commute to?

Old 11-04-2019, 02:19 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,338,961 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Where’s your commute to?
Yeah this is most important. Where is the office located? Or at least where will your presence be required most days per week?

Old 11-04-2019, 07:17 PM

828 posts, read 647,741 times
NYC is nicer overall, but you could live VASTLY better in Chicago for $150k.

Old 11-04-2019, 08:22 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,735,861 times
NYC, without question.

Old 11-04-2019, 10:06 PM

14 posts, read 12,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDFan View Post
NYC is nicer overall, but you could live VASTLY better in Chicago for $150k.
Understood, I ended up getting $180k as I switched firms. This should help a bit with livability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City