Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2019, 03:32 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,618,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Would BayLink be an extension of Metrorail or Metromover? Frankly, I think a Metromover extension may make the best sense because of its smaller size and ability to fit and turn in tight spaces, which S. Beach has plenty of.
The original plan was to extend Metrorail at least to South Beach then have other options for local mobility.
Metromover has been discussed as a option yet it is a two car train system that may not be able to handle the needed capacity even though it carries about 30,000 passengers a day throughout downtown Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2019, 04:25 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,735,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
Although the South is known for being more auto-centric than the rest of the country, that's not to say that there isn't a hiearchy of transit services, whether heavy rail, light rail, and bus (both commuter and general). Atlanta's MARTA, Dallas' DART, SunRail in Florida, as well as light rail in Houston, Charlotte, and even streetcars in New Orleans shows that it isn't to say that Dixie is fully void of public transit.

My rough ranking:

1. Atlanta
2. Dallas
3. Miami
4. Houston
5. Charlotte
6. Tampa
7. New Orleans
8. Austin
9. Raleigh
10. Orlando
How is Orlando ranked below cities with no rail? It's a skimpy line but they do have one and also a very good centralized bus station.

Old 10-23-2019, 07:11 AM

7,775 posts, read 10,153,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Would BayLink be an extension of Metrorail or Metromover? Frankly, I think a Metromover extension may make the best sense because of its smaller size and ability to fit and turn in tight spaces, which S. Beach has plenty of.
People Mover capacity is not high, which could be one issue. It is also far more expensive, which is perhaps a bigger issue. And finally, it would have negative effect on the aesthetics, depending on the exact location. Lots of neighborhood NIMBYs usually fight against elevated trains ruining the views in their area, and I'm guessing SoBe would be no different. But yeah, all of this is conjecture, I haven't been around long enough to see what the actual pushback is (though probably $$$)

I think Metrorail would make a lot of sense if they can figure out the ROW. However last I heard they were exploring autonomous vehicle tech for this segment.

Old 10-23-2019, 08:21 AM

4,520 posts, read 5,091,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
People Mover capacity is not high, which could be one issue. It is also far more expensive, which is perhaps a bigger issue. And finally, it would have negative effect on the aesthetics, depending on the exact location. Lots of neighborhood NIMBYs usually fight against elevated trains ruining the views in their area, and I'm guessing SoBe would be no different. But yeah, all of this is conjecture, I haven't been around long enough to see what the actual pushback is (though probably $$$)

I think Metrorail would make a lot of sense if they can figure out the ROW. However last I heard they were exploring autonomous vehicle tech for this segment.
Oh yeah, Metrorail would be the optimal system to extend to/through SoBe on all levels. But again, the great size of Metrorail trains and ROW (with standard-width rails), along with their much wider turning radius, would be a very tight fit in such a(n extremely) dense, small area. I realize Metromover has limited capacity, even with its 2-car trains. But I'm thinking it may be enough for the type of traveling people do to South Beach: it's largely visitors, and this group often trickles in/out rather than large waves. Yes, I suppose there are regular downtown Miami bound commuters, and this could raise capacity issues. But with MM's central train control, cars can be tightly spaced to handle bigger crowds -- as we see in Downtown Miami, esp during morning/evening rush.

Also in terms of visual concerns given that tunneling, in this part of the country is out given the sandy soils, it seems SoBe can utilize Chicago's 125+year idea of "alley elevated" trains. South Beach's alleys are tight (while Chicago's a generously wide), but ones like this could possibly accommodate an elevated MM line:

https://www.google.com/maps/@25.7765...8i8192!5m1!1e2

Old 10-23-2019, 08:33 AM

17,148 posts, read 15,350,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
How is Orlando ranked below cities with no rail? It's a skimpy line but they do have one and also a very good centralized bus station.
General perception of the place, perhaps, and somewhat deserved, thanks to the endless sprawl.
That said, the more centralized areas (basically anything within close range of I-4 from N-S and 408 from W-E) are pretty well-served, with, as you mentioned, a very good, centralized bus station.

Sunrail, while only covering one line, is also somewhat decent, with that line covering 16 stations along 49 miles... I mean, you could live in Volusia County and work in Kissimmee with no issues. It's really not that bad. Some weekend service would be great though.

Old 10-24-2019, 02:43 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,378,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
Although the South is known for being more auto-centric than the rest of the country, that's not to say that there isn't a hiearchy of transit services, whether heavy rail, light rail, and bus (both commuter and general). Atlanta's MARTA, Dallas' DART, SunRail in Florida, as well as light rail in Houston, Charlotte, and even streetcars in New Orleans shows that it isn't to say that Dixie is fully void of public transit.

My rough ranking:

1. Atlanta
2. Dallas
3. Miami
4. Houston
5. Charlotte
6. Tampa
7. New Orleans
8. Austin
9. Raleigh
10. Orlando
There is no mention of Nashville, as it has had commuter rail before some of the cities mentioned and is at the crossroads of several major interstates. Also noticeably absent is Baltimore.

Old 10-24-2019, 05:26 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
There is no mention of Nashville, as it has had commuter rail before some of the cities mentioned and is at the crossroads of several major interstates. Also noticeably absent is Baltimore.
Sigh...you must be bored.

And if you're going to bait, then do it right and mention DC first and foremost.

Old 10-24-2019, 08:00 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,378,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Sigh...you must be bored.

And if you're going to bait, then do it right and mention DC first and foremost.
Lol

Old 10-26-2019, 09:58 AM

4,394 posts, read 4,282,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Scientist View Post
Based on top ten southern metros

1. Miami
2. Atlanta
3 San Antonio
4. Austin
5. Charlotte
6. Orlando
7. Houston
8. Dallas
9. Tampa
10. Nashville
Nashville just missed an opportunity to be top 3. Hopefully it still happens eventually.

Old 10-27-2019, 06:09 PM

4,520 posts, read 5,091,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Nashville just missed an opportunity to be top 3. Hopefully it still happens eventually.
I hope Nashville doesn't give up on rapid transit. Despite the 3-1 voter rejection, they were closer than one thinks. Yes the Koch brother anti-rail money hurt, but the sex/funds misuse scandal that forced her to resign months before the vote, really cost rapid transit a 'yes' vote as she was the initiative's author and biggest, most articulate champion. With her suddenly gone, a vacuum was created, and the Koch's stepped right in.

Nashville already established the Music City Star commuter rail, which locals are fighting to upgrade and expand. The city has the right attitude towards transit and, hopefully, it will stick with it and established a viable rail-bus system, not unlike the Lets Move initiative of 2018. Nashville has an interesting, compact walkable core for which transit can thrive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City