Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atlanta or Dallas
Atlanta 71 68.27%
Dallas 33 31.73%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2019, 07:57 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,910,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfmx1 View Post
Yeah, you can get to bigger mountains faster from Atlanta but they're not part of every day life, i.e. they're not a 20 min drive. When you consider a 20 or 30 mile radius, terrain is both pretty flat with some "hilly" areas. I think DFW has more water/lakes.

Georgia doesn't have anything like the Hill Country with its winerys. But Texas doesn't have oceans as accessible.

I think we should stay away from things over an hour away as they're not immediate amenities accessible on a normal weekend.
Well there's Kennesaw Mountain which is the highest point in the core metro Atlanta area at nearly 2,000 ft. And in Dekalb County, you have Stone Mountain and Arabia Mountain. There are also several wineries in the north Georgia foothills/mountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2019, 08:48 AM

666 posts, read 515,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Well there's Kennesaw Mountain which is the highest point in the core metro Atlanta area at nearly 2,000 ft. And in Dekalb County, you have Stone Mountain and Arabia Mountain. There are also several wineries in the north Georgia foothills/mountains.
I do agree that the general north Georgia is more hilly and I've been to Chateau Elan and it's very nice. I love everything about ATL. I just think Dallas has more to offer me personally and Dallas gets a bad rap for being hot in Aug/Sept and flat...

It is certainly less humid/muggy and I personally like the flat because I enjoy better sunrises/sunsets.

Also, there are 319 wineries in the Texas Hill Country.. Here's what one site said:

"Everything is bigger in Texas, and that includes the Texas Hill Country wine region, which spans 9 million acres, making it the second-largest wine region in the nation. The dry, sunny Texas Hill Country climate is well suited for growing grapes like Tempranillo, Syrah, Albarino, Cabernet Sauvignon, and Zinfandel. The Texas Hill Country is generally used to refer to all land in the winegrowing region north of San Antonio and west of Austin"

Old 10-25-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
I do agree that the general north Georgia is more hilly and I've been to Chateau Elan and it's very nice. I love everything about ATL. I just think Dallas has more to offer me personally and Dallas gets a bad rap for being hot in Aug/Sept and flat...

It is certainly less humid/muggy and I personally like the flat because I enjoy better sunrises/sunsets.

Also, there are 319 wineries in the Texas Hill Country.. Here's what one site said:

"Everything is bigger in Texas, and that includes the Texas Hill Country wine region, which spans 9 million acres, making it the second-largest wine region in the nation. The dry, sunny Texas Hill Country climate is well suited for growing grapes like Tempranillo, Syrah, Albarino, Cabernet Sauvignon, and Zinfandel. The Texas Hill Country is generally used to refer to all land in the winegrowing region north of San Antonio and west of Austin"
Dallas most certainly has its advantages. Although less forested, you do get those open vistas which are pretty nice.

Old 10-25-2019, 08:56 AM

666 posts, read 515,527 times
Also, you cannot separate Dallas from its very large satellite cities.. Your options on where to live, what kinda lifestyle you want vary greatly.

Fort Worth - country, big trucks, cowboy hats and boots, true Texas (pop: 1.2M?)
Dallas - more glam and corporate
Las Colinas - corporate HQ land with its own skyline
Plano - upscale suburbia with a skyline (pop. 285k)
Frisco - upscale suburbia with a skyline (pop. 165k)
Southlake - uber upscale suburbia
Denton - fun college town and gets more snow
Arlington - cheap to live in but has Texas Live and Cowboys/Rangers
Rowlett/Rockwall nice and affordable on the lake

I could go on.. I don't feel that ATL's burbs are quite as established cities in their own right as the DFW burbs. IE, any of those cities mentioned could be respectable cities on their own.

Old 10-25-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Also, you cannot separate Dallas from its very large satellite cities.. Your options on where to live, what kinda lifestyle you want vary greatly.

Fort Worth - country, big trucks, cowboy hats and boots, true Texas (pop: 1.2M?)

I could go on.. I don't feel that ATL's burbs are quite as established cities in their own right as the DFW burbs. IE, any of those cities mentioned could be respectable cities on their own.
Yeah, Atlanta is a bit decentralized but DFW takes it to another level. That said, there are a lot of unincorporated built-up areas in metro Atlanta which helps to explain why there aren't more large suburbs (e.g., East Cobb, Cumberland, southern Forsyth County, etc.).

Old 10-25-2019, 09:28 AM

1,186 posts, read 1,510,894 times
Quote:

I don’t disagree with what you wrote, but this has more to do with size of city limits. Obviously, there is no answer in Metropolitan Atlanta to Fort Worth but other than that, GA cities and counties are small.

*IF* Marietta, Lawrenceville, and Decatur respective populations were reflective of the total number of people living in zip codes associated with each of these cities vs actual city limits, you’d have what you see in the The Metroplex.

Also, people oft fail to mention or realize that Sandy Springs and Dunwoody are home to several large HQs and they share the Perimeter Center skyline. But much to their displeasure, the companies use the Atlanta name and USPS accepts this.

Vinings (unincorporated) is another corporate giant and entertainment district with a skyline of its own. Again, all of these companies use Atlanta and not Vinings.

Buckhead, while not separate from the COA does function as its own little enclave, with a skyline that is distinct and separate from DTA and MTA.

Alpharetta has emerged as a tech power house with 700-800 tech companies and is the focal point of employment in North Fulton (outside of Sandy Springs) which consist of the wealthy suburbs of Roswell, Johns Creek, and Milton + Forsyth County, which is the wealthiest county in the state.

DFW is larger than The A, but they are very much similar metros even with Fort Worth. Atlanta, Dallas, Houston nor Miami have any shortages of “upscale” or wealthy suburbs imo.

Old 10-25-2019, 12:43 PM

71 posts, read 45,571 times
I picked Atlanta. Dallas is much too conservative and Jesus-y to stomach.

Old 10-25-2019, 01:11 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyride2019 View Post
I picked Atlanta. Dallas is much too conservative and Jesus-y to stomach.
Yeah that can be annoying. They both have Who's Who type cultures that can be annoying too.

Old 10-25-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Yeah that can be annoying. They both have Who's Who type cultures that can be annoying too.
Well at least it's easier to see why that's the case in Atlanta with the huge entertainment industry in place there.

Old 10-25-2019, 01:33 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Well at least it's easier to see why that's the case in Atlanta with the huge entertainment industry in place there.
You're exactly right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City