Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 11:55 PM

597 posts, read 448,946 times

Advertisements

Yes.... and Richmond VA will always be the real Richmond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2019, 04:50 AM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I will say Richmond, Texas while it is clearly behind and will continue to be behind both Richmond, Ca and Richmond, VA. It has the most potential to be the most important Richmond.

This is because it's the County Seat of Fort Bend County, which is the fastest growing county percentage wise and numerically in the Houston Metro Area(Not including Harris just talking about Suburban Counties)
It's city limit isn't the full area that most Houstonians define as Richmond as due to Houston's anti annexing laws, 90% of 77469/77407/77406 is actually considered a part of Richmond and it has major spillover in several directions that make Richmond have one of the most interesting growth patters for any town I've ever seen. It's seeing major spillover from the NW form Katy (Houston is in the east just for reference) seeing spillover from Mission Bend in the NE, seeing spillover from Rosenberg from the west, seeing spillover from Sugar Land in the east. In the future it will see spillover from the SE and NW from Missouri City and Fulshear respectively.

All in all about 140,000 people currently live in an area with a Richmond, Texas address and since 2010 it's added about 40,000 people in one decade and it might actually be closer to 50,000. This is with two of the zip codes mentioned being almost rural and one being half-built out. I can easily see it unifying more as an area and having around 250,000-300,000 by 2030, as it's the suburb that's gonna absorb the majority of Fort Bend's growth as well as Fulshear to a lesser extent seeing as Katy/Sugar Land/Missouri City (to a lesser extent) are basically built out.

The change there going from Katy is mind-blowing and only the Conroe-Woodlands and North Katy-South Cypress corridor in Houston is even close IMHO to matching it in growth which is almost entirely fueled by 99.

By 2040 if laws change and the are unifies a bit Fort Bend will be significantly bigger than Richmond's metro as a whole and Richmond which is the county seat will have about the same maybe even more people with Richmond addresses it will only really gain national recognition if it incorporates though. Two Houston burbs with the most national recognition are basically the two only that are incorporated--> The Woodlands and Sugar Land. The problem though is even if things workout it will have to compete with Katy/Sugar Land which are the two biggest sphere's of influence in the county. While Richmond is clearly the dominant city in it's area. Their is also rising competition from Fulshear as it's going to the other fast growing suburb in the Fort Bend County area.
It’s a suburb it’s not going to surpass Richmond, VA.

Medford, Mass has a top 40 university but it doesn’t matter compared to Medford Ore because it’s a Suburb

Old 10-30-2019, 05:16 AM

1,801 posts, read 1,950,065 times
Then there's the original Richmond that's now a part of London (that's where the British National Archives and Kew Royal Botanic Gardens are) and also the county that contains Staten Island, but at least the village there is called Richmondtown. I'm not sure what UK peeps think as "The Richmond", but since its in that nation's capital, I'd imagine it may be right up there with Richmond, VA. But basically anywhere in North America outside of a few enclaves (Bay Area, Houston area, Vancouver BC) that's the "real" Richmond. It's certainly not Springfield, but that's for another thread.

Old 10-30-2019, 08:07 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,622,386 times
The vast majority of Americans, 90%+, will think Richmond, Va if you just say "Richmond"...

Richmond, Va has a name recognizance the other Richmond's don't. Most people wouldn't know another Richmond exists unless they've lived in close proximity to another one...

When I'm in NorCal I'll specify and add "Virginia" to it if it comes up. Everywhere else I've been, I never have to specify that the Richmond I'm talking about is in Virginia, including when I'm in SoCal...

People the nation over tend to have at minimum a passing familiarity with Richmond, Virginia. There is no major reason to be familiar with any of the other Richmonds...

Old 10-30-2019, 08:13 AM

71 posts, read 45,558 times
As the capitol of the Confederacy, Richmond has a notorious reputation unlike most cities in the USA. My impression is that most know it is in Virginia and associate it closely with the fight to preserve slavery in this country. I haven't heard of any these other places with the same name.

Old 10-30-2019, 08:28 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,622,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyride2019 View Post
As the capitol of the Confederacy, Richmond has a notorious reputation unlike most cities in the USA. My impression is that most know it is in Virginia and associate it closely with the fight to preserve slavery in this country. I haven't heard of any these other places with the same name.
Well I'll say this, California public schools don't teach the Confederacy period to any significant degree the way it is taught in the South and the East Coast (not sure about Midwest), I'm from California and among my host of siblings, relatives and associates, I've never once had anyone associate Richmond with the Confederacy. And Richmond has come up a few times, as everyone knows I spent my formative years in Virginia and I've met Californians who have been to Richmond, VA, or other states in close proximity...

The "Richmond was the Confederate capital" is more if a talking point on this side, and even to that extent its brought up and discussed more on City-Data than it was when I lived in New York and other eastern/southern states...

So I'll disagree completely that Rich is "notorious", my experience has been completely opposite in that people either only know it's the capital of Virginia, the largest city in Virginia, or they have been and have a favorable impression of Rich, or have heard from others and have a favorable impression...

Rich gets slandered and has a notorious or negative reputation on here. Not offline...

Old 10-30-2019, 08:38 AM

636 posts, read 611,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyride2019 View Post
Notorious for crime/blight maybe. In my anecdotal experience, it's the black community that gives Rich the most (positive) recognition.

Old 10-30-2019, 09:28 AM

6,470 posts, read 4,068,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
It’s a suburb it’s not going to surpass Richmond, VA.

Medford, Mass has a top 40 university but it doesn’t matter compared to Medford Ore because it’s a Suburb
That isn’t necessarily true the two largest and most famous Arlingtons are suburbs and it’s arguable that the Dallas one is more popular even though Arlington has been a populous suburb since WW2 while Arlington, TX only reached the same size in the mid 1980s. Arlington, MA which was the “original” one isn’t as important.

Name recognition is important and Richmond Texas relative to the California and Virginia ones is only increasing in name recognition. Now will it ever pass Richmond even if it physically does population wise and has more people living within 10 miles of it than Richmond unlikely the second one could be true right now. But is there a chance definitely. Lagos, Nigeria for an international example while not a suburb is order of magnitudes more well known that it’s portuguese a counterpart that it may have been originally named for, that in itself took roughly 25-30 years to happen from 1970s Lagos being relatively unknown to today Lagos bring the largest city in Africa.

Old 10-30-2019, 10:03 AM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
That isn’t necessarily true the two largest and most famous Arlingtons are suburbs and it’s arguable that the Dallas one is more popular even though Arlington has been a populous suburb since WW2 while Arlington, TX only reached the same size in the mid 1980s. Arlington, MA which was the “original” one isn’t as important.

Name recognition is important and Richmond Texas relative to the California and Virginia ones is only increasing in name recognition. Now will it ever pass Richmond even if it physically does population wise and has more people living within 10 miles of it than Richmond unlikely the second one could be true right now. But is there a chance definitely. Lagos, Nigeria for an international example while not a suburb is order of magnitudes more well known that it’s portuguese a counterpart that it may have been originally named for, that in itself took roughly 25-30 years to happen from 1970s Lagos being relatively unknown to today Lagos bring the largest city in Africa.
As long as they teach US history and Geography Richmond VA will be the default Richmond.

Old 10-30-2019, 10:05 AM

264 posts, read 250,002 times
Richmond, VA will always be THE Richmond due to its history and size. Richmond, BC is the only other Richmond that is significant on this list to me due to it's high Asian influence as a suburb of Vancouver. That would be the prototypical "Richmond" to all Canadians I assume.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City