Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 12:32 PM

3 posts, read 2,882 times

Advertisements

Been seeing a lot of posts mentioning Richmond as if Richmond, VA is the only Richmond. There is also a Richmond, CA/KY/TX/IN/BC.

Is Richmond, Virginia the real Richmond -- the only one that matters on this forum because it is now a trendy city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2019, 12:44 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,338,961 times
I think on a national forum, Richmond is not a unique enough name. To someone from the SF Bay Area, for example, it's even more confusing. Having lived in the Richmond District of SF, I'd often mention "I lived in the Richmond." People were still confused and would ask if I meant the neighborhood of SF or the city of Richmond in the East Bay. So, to some, the addition of the state is necessary when not read in context. If I were to say "I took the 38 (bus) to get here" people would know I meant the Richmond District. If I said "He's taking BART from Richmond" people would know it's the city of Richmond. But the context clues are necessary for someone to discern which you are referring to.

As for a state like KY, where Richmond is a pretty sizable and important city in comparison to the rest of the state, the name Richmond only refers to the one in KY. The VA would require the VA descriptor afterward.

Even in the Northeast some seemingly obvious ones get confused regionally. In Philly, Newark can be either DE or NJ, even though on a national scare, Newark almost always refers to the NJ city. Dover is always the DE for anyone in North NJ.

Charleston to Appalachia/Kentucky/Ohio is WV many times, not the SC city. OTOH, for everyone else, Charleston is probably SC.

So yes, the VA indicator is often required for some people depending on region. For me, Richmond is VA since I don't live where people regularly discuss a locale named Richmond. But for others, it's important.

Old 10-29-2019, 12:48 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacaSeb View Post
Is Richmond, Virginia the real Richmond -- the only one that matters on this forum because it is now a trendy city?
Yes. It has it's own metropolitan area and is 44th largest in the nation. May not be the most popular by region across the nation, but it's the most relevant overall.

I have a friend from Richmond, CA and after living on the East Coast she acknowledges Richmond, Va being superior now.

Last edited by the resident09; 10-29-2019 at 01:15 PM..

Old 10-29-2019, 12:54 PM

1,021 posts, read 910,624 times
Richmond, Ky is only 35,000 people. The closest Richmond in size, CA, is a part of an area that has much more name recognition(San Fran). Richmond, In: 35,000ppl. Richmond, Tx: 12,000ppl. Richmond, BC is not in America and would be looped in with Vancouver anyway. So, even before Richmond was a "trendy city"(it's not) it would still be the first Richmond that comes to mind for most people(also the oldest Richmond). I'm not sure why that bothers you, you don't see people in Miami county Ohio asking why people think about Miami beach first. Or what about Little Chicago, Wi? What about Arlington? Or all the other Washingtons out there that aren't DC. Bristol, Salem, Springfield, Lebanon, Madison, Georgetown, Ashland, Dover, Burlington, Manchester, Dayton, Lexington...I think you get my point. Actually, I think I may have figured out a new city-data game.

Last edited by mpier015; 10-29-2019 at 01:49 PM..

Old 10-29-2019, 12:59 PM

6,787 posts, read 4,230,123 times
Richmond was the capital of the Confederacy and remains the capital of Virginia. Its notable
enough that if you just say Richmond most people outside areas with another Richmond would know what you mean.

Old 10-29-2019, 01:02 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,555,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpier015 View Post
Richmond, Ky is only 35,000 people. The next closest Richmond in size, CA, is a part of an area that has much more name recognition(San Fran). Richmond, In: 35,000ppl. Richmond, Tx: 12,000ppl. Richmond, BC is not in America..
Good post...
Yeah, Richmond Virginia has the larger population, more historical significance, etc.. I wouldn't characterize Richmond as the singularly 'real' Richmond (although that is funny). But I consider it the default Richmond, until it's clarified that someone is referring to a non-Virginia' Richmond.

Old 10-29-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Good post...
Yeah, Richmond Virginia has the larger population, more historical significance, etc.. I wouldn't characterize Richmond as the singularly 'real' Richmond (although that is funny). But I consider it the default Richmond, until it's clarified that someone is referring to a non-Virginia' Richmond.
But in the eyes of Californians, everything outside of CA is irrelevant, so they'll always automatically assume a location within CA.

Old 10-29-2019, 01:31 PM

1,021 posts, read 910,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
But in the eyes of Californians, everything outside of CA is irrelevant, so they'll always automatically assume a location within CA.
That's a mighty broad brush . From what I can tell, a lot of Californians(maybe specifically southern Californians) wouldn't necessarily think of Richmond, CA first, either. From what I can tell, from my family living in LA, they would just refer to Richmond, CA as apart of the bay area and would have no real reason to either go there or distinguish it from the rest of the Bay. From what I can gather, Richmond, Ca, doesn't have the best reputation in the state, even for people who are familiar with it. For example, I wouldn't expect someone from NOVA to name drop Petersburg or Poquoson just because they are in the same state and part of an area they may be familiar with.

Old 10-29-2019, 01:33 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,806,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacaSeb View Post
Been seeing a lot of posts mentioning Richmond as if Richmond, VA is the only Richmond. There is also a Richmond, CA/KY/TX/IN/BC.

Richmond, VA is the only one that everyone has heard of and is the only one that's a major city so yes.

Old 10-29-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpier015 View Post
That's a mighty broad brush . From what I can tell, a lot of Californians(maybe specifically southern Californians) wouldn't necessarily think of Richmond, CA first, either. From what I can tell, from my family living in LA, they would just refer to Richmond, CA as apart of the bay area and would have no real reason to either go there or distinguish it from the rest of the Bay. From what I can gather, Richmond, Ca, doesn't have the best reputation in the state, even for people who are familiar with it. For example, I wouldn't expect someone from NOVA to name drop Petersburg or Poquoson just because they are in the same state and part of an area they may be familiar with.
It is lol. As a native Californian, though, I can tell you that a huge number of Californians sadly know next to nothing about this country beyond the borders of CA.

But yes, SoCal would be different. SoCal wouldn't think of Richmond CA. But NorCal would definitely assume so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City