Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2019, 12:41 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,828,617 times

Advertisements

BTW, I put a ruler on top of that A/C unit and it measures 9 inches of snow, so good try trying to diminish the snowfall count and it was actually around 10 inches in many parts of Ken Caryl. I lived against the foothills of the mountains.

All places have their problems, but Denver had more than I wanted to deal with. I never wanted to move to Nashville, but had only one week to find a place to live and I ended up finding a very cheap apartment. I actually drove all the way to Tampa, Florida which I really liked a lot (really liked Florida, to be honest), but there was literally nothing I could afford in my price range and no such thing as an affordable suburb in Tampa area, so I was on my way back to Kansas City, MO (where I was planning to move). Then I ended up stopping for short time in Nashville and ended up finding a very cheap place outside the city and I don't regret it. But, as I stated when I moved here, I had no intentions of moving to Nashville and kind of heard the city was the way it was before I moved here and it hasn't proven me wrong. But, no regrets, because I am only in Nashville temporarily while I fight from becoming a disabled homeless person at 41. Working as hard as I can with lots of pain and no real family or friends to support me. So, Tennessee it is .. No state tax, no car tax and affordable suburbs near a booming city. I don't have to like it, it's a business/survival decision.

I actually liked living in Charlotte, but ended up having to promptly get out of my lease, because I lived next to a violent convicted felon (who carried a gun) and even attempted to murder his girlfriend right in front of me. The big mistake was I did not stay in Charlotte, because I liked Charlotte and ended up going to Denver. In fact, I originally tried moving back to Charlotte, but the prices of living there have skyrocketed and I cannot afford to live in Charlotte either. But, I never hated Charlotte, I just ended up in a horrible living situation and should have just found a different place to live in the area.

Seattle has become a super liberal hellhole , extremely expensive, traffic jams from hell (try 4 hour commutes in just 15 miles) and I never was a fan of the perpetual gray and cold. But, there always will be a place in my heart for Seattle and Portland (Cascadia) and if they should ever change their mentality , I would go back there in a heart beat, because once you are a Cascadian you are always a Cascadian.

Maybe, you should spend a little more time learning about a person's situation before you just start badmouthing and slandering them. I am not perfect and I am not saying that I make the best of situations as I know I don't. I'm sure I could have just stuck it out in Denver, but I had the opportunity to leave and figured I didn't want to spend the next 10 years there because I am financially struggling.

Even now, the business I devoted my life to for almost 20 years is ruined and I will be having to find work in Nashville (which is kind of the reason I moved here). At least Nashville has affordable places to live in the suburbs unlike Denver which is just insanely expensive and I cannot see the appeal. If I want big, beautiful and rugged mountains I would go back to the Pacific Northwest. I prefer the beauty of the Cascade mountains over the Colorado Rockies.. But, to each their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2019, 08:41 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,386,675 times
The irony of Rotse's posts about Denver being a crappy place is that he solicited advice on where in CO to move to and Denver was not the top recommendation to him. For the majority of his requirements, a couple of other places were a better fit and he came up with reasons on why they wouldn't work out for him without even having checked them out. Despite all of this, he moved to Denver anyway and then proceeded to be miserable.

Old 11-18-2019, 09:02 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,338,961 times
Cityscape: Baltimore

Crime/Safety: Denver?

Traffic: Charlotte?

CoL: Charlotte

Public Transportation: Baltimore and Denver. Denver has more light rail from the outer neighborhoods and suburbs, but AFAIK Baltimore has at least one light rail line and good city buses. Plus MARC to DC and it's right on the Northeast Corridor of Amtrak to DC, Philly, NYC, and Boston.

Local Culture: Baltimore

Education: Baltimore

Scenery: Tie because personal preference. Some people love the view of the Rockies from Denver, but I'd prefer the harbor views and access to water of Baltimore. I know others would also like the endless greenery of Charlotte.

Nightlife/Entertainment: Baltimore and Denver

Economy/Job Diversity: Tie. Denver is great in tech. Charlotte is good in finance. Baltimore in the city isn't all that impressive, but its suburbs have access to the DC-centric jobs.

Future Potential: Baltimore. Both Denver and Charlotte are doing really well right now, but I think Baltimore has the most to capitalize on.

Old 11-18-2019, 02:40 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,511,989 times
Cityscape - Baltimore

Crime/Safety - Charlotte/Denver (close)

Traffic - Charlotte

CoL - Charlotte

Public Transportation - None are bad, but Denver/Baltimore/Charlotte

Local Culture - Baltimore

Education - Baltimore

Scenery - Depends. Denver has the beautiful mountains, Charlotte is lush and green/flora, and Baltimore has the pretty harbor. Tie

Nightlife/Entertainment - Tie, in my experience. Each has its merits and have always found good things to do in each.

Economy/Job Diversity - Charlotte by a nose over Denver. They have an emerging high tech sector that's been taking off as of late to mix with its financial industry. Transportation and customer service hub as well. Charlotte's economy is more diverse than people realize.

Future Potential - Charlotte. Denver's high and ever rising cost of living will hurt them in the long run. It's already pretty unaffordable. Baltimore has room for potential growth, but its problems are just too big to ignore. Charlotte just has a great balance of the things that will aide in their continued strong growth for the foreseeable future.

Old 11-28-2019, 10:07 PM

6,725 posts, read 6,718,975 times
Baltimore is dying and dangerous. Charlotte is alive and boring. I hate snow, but Denver beats them both.

Old 11-28-2019, 10:11 PM

6,725 posts, read 6,718,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
I put Baltimore 2nd because the data center boom and boom in general that is the DC area will spill up that direction, assuming they can do something about the crime and corruption.
They've been saying this for years and it never happens. The data center boom in Loudoun County, VA has never really crossed the river, never mind made it up to Baltimore.

Baltimore used to run ads on the Metro promoting urban living to DC commuters, but I didn't know a single person in DC, Montgomery County, or VA who ever moved up there. People would rather pay the extra rent to be closer to jobs and further from not just the crime, but the blight in Harm City.

Old 11-29-2019, 06:40 PM

3,525 posts, read 2,317,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Baltimore used to run ads on the Metro promoting urban living to DC commuters, but I didn't know a single person in DC, Montgomery County, or VA who ever moved up there. People would rather pay the extra rent to be closer to jobs and further from not just the crime, but the blight in Harm City.
Thats incorrect, as statistically most of the people fueling Baltimore's current high-end construction boom are single nesters priced out of DC.

In regards to crime & blight, DC has more than its fair share of it... Just take a quick drive east across the Anacostia River. You'd think South East wasn't even part of the district.

Perception vs. Reality

Old 11-29-2019, 07:57 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,448,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Thats incorrect, as statistically most of the people fueling Baltimore's current high-end construction boom are single nesters priced out of DC.

In regards to crime & blight, DC has more than its fair share of it... Just take a quick drive east across the Anacostia River. You'd think South East wasn't even part of the district.

Perception vs. Reality
Agreed. Some people on this site pass their time by regurgitating out-dated stereotypes and purposely omitting positive information about cities. Baltimore is a great urban city with its share of problems, like any US city.

Old 11-29-2019, 10:35 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
Agreed. Some people on this site pass their time by regurgitating out-dated stereotypes and purposely omitting positive information about cities. Baltimore is a great urban city with its share of problems, like any US city.
I agree as well. Baltimore is a nice city with great suburbs. The crime and rundown areas are bad but the city is far from dead. I like that Baltimore does not try to be more than it is like some cities.

Old 12-01-2019, 06:18 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,511,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Baltimore is dying and dangerous. Charlotte is alive and boring. I hate snow, but Denver beats them both.
None of these 3 are "boring". Very familiar with all 3 and I've never had any issues finding good and unique things to do in any of them. If you think they're boring, you're either not looking or have an axe to grind for whatever reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City