Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: City With Your Favorite Italian Neighborhood?
Cleveland 10 8.26%
Providence 10 8.26%
Boston 31 25.62%
St. Louis 8 6.61%
Chicago 7 5.79%
Philadelphia 28 23.14%
Manhattan 13 10.74%
Montreal 5 4.13%
Toronto 4 3.31%
Baltimore 5 4.13%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2019, 06:11 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,595,519 times

Advertisements

I would be surprised if there are any true urban Little Italys left in the US
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2019, 11:33 PM

14,673 posts, read 14,635,860 times
San Francisco is missing from the list. Of those, I would choose Cleveland.

Old 11-26-2019, 05:31 AM

1,801 posts, read 1,950,065 times
San Diego also's omitted. At least the CA Little Italies share the similar climate, but most Italian-Americans have/had graduated out of the ethnic scene and into the mainstream, and intermarriage is common as well.

I'd say if Manhattan tried to make it relevant, they should rebrand it as being more upscale, become a showcase for high-end boutiques, restaurants, exotic Italian car showrooms, fashion model branches for Italian-based agencies, art studios specializing in fine Italian art, and a state of the art performing arts venue instead of having those businesses scattered around the rest of the city. Since real estate is astronomical there, it only makes sense to go the "Maserati" route and show how its for those who "made it", not fresh off the boat, and Manhattan is much more parallel to Milan than a town in the Mezzogiorno. Go to Arthur Ave, Philly, Providence, Boston, or even Baltimore if you want your more traditional Little Italy of sausage/cheese shops, family-owned restaurants, and bocce ball courts. Arthur Ave. is a bit past peak, but still has some semblance of a traditional Little Italy, roughly parallel to how relevant Manhattan's was around the 1980s-90s.

Still, its a shame when you see cities like Buffalo, Kansas City, and Denver once having their own "Little Italies", it speaks for itself how removed we are from the age of immigration and Italian-influenced culture. I'd say the 1950s was the heyday for that, when pasta and pizza became popular with Middle America for the first time, the influence in songs like "Papa Loves Mambo", and celebrities like Frank Sinatra.

Old 11-26-2019, 06:08 AM

3,525 posts, read 2,317,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
I would be surprised if there are any true urban Little Italys left in the US
Boston, Providence, Baltimore, Philly etc.. still have genuine Little Italy's that haven't been gentrified to the moon and back

Old 11-26-2019, 06:45 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,186,058 times
One major factor that one must consider when deciding the best Italian neighborhoods, is actually having Italian residents.
Philly and NYC are the only large U.S cities with big city italian American neighborhoods (multiple zip codes with 10,000 plus people claiming italian ancestry in the city proper). Most of the other "little Italys" or Italian American neighborhoods in the US, especially outside of Northeast, are exactly what they're called, "little" as in not that populous.

Old 11-26-2019, 06:53 AM

716 posts, read 765,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
One major factor that one must consider when deciding the best Italian neighborhoods, is actually having Italian residents.
Philly and NYC are the only large U.S cities with big city italian American neighborhoods (multiple zip codes with 10,000 plus people claiming italian ancestry in the city proper). Most of the other "little Italys" or Italian American neighborhoods in the US, especially outside of Northeast, are exactly what they're called, "little" as in not that populous.
That makes no sense to me as a way to judge anything. Then just the city that has the most population wins because of numbers. I don't think that's what the OP was asking about at all.

Old 11-26-2019, 06:56 AM

716 posts, read 765,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Boston, Providence, Baltimore, Philly etc.. still have genuine Little Italy's that haven't been gentrified to the moon and back
But do these actually have Italian immigrants in them as residents? Or are we talking neighborhoods of Italian heritage from late 19th/early 20th century immigration? I would the first of my questions would be a genuine Little Italy while the second is not.

Old 11-26-2019, 07:08 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,186,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl-Cns View Post
That makes no sense to me as a way to judge anything. Then just the city that has the most population wins because of numbers. I don't think that's what the OP was asking about at all.
As I said, it's not the ONLY factor, but it is a big factor imo. Also, there is a clear correlation between a large demographic in a urban neighborhood, and a large amount of cultural establishments that are operated from that same demographic.

Old 11-26-2019, 07:23 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Boston's North End (little Italy) actually doe shave a lot of Italians. I'm pretty certain theyre the plurality there.

Old 11-26-2019, 07:23 AM

6,725 posts, read 6,718,975 times
Wooster Street, New Haven, CT.

Also North Beach, San Francisco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City