Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Charlotte or Tampa?
Charlotte 59 60.82%
Tampa 38 39.18%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2021, 10:03 AM

393 posts, read 261,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
I feel like Charlotte comes together better as one cohesive city since Tampa is so spread out. Both have bright futures ahead and I’m not sure who’s better though I’d lean towards Tampa. I think Florida is the better run state, but that can always change. Also, I know a lot of the financial companies from NYC have relocated to South Florida lately. It seems like Charlotte should have been able to lure them in so perhaps a missed opportunity there and possibly indicative of the future.
Exactly, St Petersburg took about half of Tampa's population with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2021, 10:23 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,443,251 times
Quote:
I feel like Charlotte comes together better as one cohesive city since Tampa is so spread out. Both have bright futures ahead and I’m not sure who’s better though I’d lean towards Tampa. I think Florida is the better run state, but that can always change. Also, I know a lot of the financial companies from NYC have relocated to South Florida lately. It seems like Charlotte should have been able to lure them in so perhaps a missed opportunity there and possibly indicative of the future.
Charlotte is over 300 square miles. It currently takes 26 minutes to get from downtown Tampa to downtown St Pete, and 27 minutes to get from the mall on the south end of Charlotte to the mall on the north end of Charlotte.

The only difference is Charlotte is built up in the core, vs Tampa which has a smaller core and more edge cities (not including St Pete). Charlotte is known to be one of the least dense metros. Rock Hill to Kannapolis is the same distance as St Pete to Lakeland - difference being Rock Hill and Kpolis are both in Charlottes metro, and Lakeland is technically not in Tampa's (says the Bureau). Even if you used Spring Hill, which somehow is in Tampa's metro, it's still a shorter distance than R Hill to Kpolis.

Not knocking Charlotte, but calling Tampa "so spread out" in comparison to Charlotte is just , especially considering Tampa is the smaller, denser, and more built out city.

Old 05-06-2021, 10:44 AM

858 posts, read 680,425 times
Let us not forget Tampa will one day be under water!

Old 05-06-2021, 11:12 AM

276 posts, read 168,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRoadkill View Post
Let us not forget Tampa will one day be under water!

Haha I wasn't gonna go to that extreme, but if you take climate change into account Charlotte definitely has the upper hand there.

Old 05-06-2021, 12:06 PM

17,148 posts, read 15,350,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Charlotte is over 300 square miles. It currently takes 26 minutes to get from downtown Tampa to downtown St Pete, and 27 minutes to get from the mall on the south end of Charlotte to the mall on the north end of Charlotte.

The only difference is Charlotte is built up in the core, vs Tampa which has a smaller core and more edge cities (not including St Pete). Charlotte is known to be one of the least dense metros. Rock Hill to Kannapolis is the same distance as St Pete to Lakeland - difference being Rock Hill and Kpolis are both in Charlottes metro, and Lakeland is technically not in Tampa's (says the Bureau). Even if you used Spring Hill, which somehow is in Tampa's metro, it's still a shorter distance than R Hill to Kpolis.

Not knocking Charlotte, but calling Tampa "so spread out" in comparison to Charlotte is just , especially considering Tampa is the smaller, denser, and more built out city.
Does it even have a smaller core?? Maybe less tall buildings I guess? But otherwise, that's debatable, as Tampa includes Channelside and Ybor within the core too... Tampa gets severely underrated in these forums.

Last edited by Arcenal813; 05-06-2021 at 12:17 PM..

Old 05-06-2021, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Does it even have a smaller core?? Maybe less tall buildings I guess? But otherwise, that's debatable, as Tampa includes Channelside and Ybor within the core too... Tampa gets severely underrated in these forums.
When I think of the core, I think of the square of the river, Selmon, 275, Nebraska. But sure I guess Ybor, UT, and especially Channelside can be included. Harbor Island too.

But point being, most of the action in Charlotte is happening in Uptown, while Tampa has more spread around action. New highrise developments currently being built in Tampa ~4, 7, and 8 miles from downtown. In Charlotte they would be going in Uptown with the rest of the highrises.

Old 05-06-2021, 01:50 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,279,227 times
Quote:

It’s spread out in a sense that there are 4 competing business districts. If you ever stand at the top of the parking garage at Tampa International Airport and look back at the city it actually looks big at that angle since you can see Westshore BD and downtown in the background. If everything were together you’d have a pretty big city on your hands, but it’s just very decentralized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Having lived and worked there for many years, I don’t think you can count Channelside as part of the downtown core. There are still a few vacant (parking) lots and the Selmon seperating the main downtown core and Channelside. Eventually they’ll merge, but not yet. Ybor is totally separate. The UT area is more debatable. The river definitely makes it feel like it’s separate, but it really isn’t. Further, I know it’s been said that the river may may the center of downtown in the future. Eventually downtown and Westshore may merge too via development along Cypress, but that will be awhile.

Old 05-06-2021, 02:01 PM

718 posts, read 492,317 times
Quote:
When I think of the core, I think of the square of the river, Selmon, 275, Nebraska. But sure I guess Ybor, UT, and especially Channelside can be included. Harbor Island too.

But point being, most of the action in Charlotte is happening in Uptown, while Tampa has more spread around action. New highrise developments currently being built in Tampa ~4, 7, and 8 miles from downtown. In Charlotte they would be going in Uptown with the rest of the highrises.
Everyone seems to forget about Southpark which is the 2nd largest business district in the state and has a smaller skyline of its own about 7 miles from Uptown. There is also Ballantyne that also has its own skyline and at one time the neighborhood had considered leaving Charlotte and becoming its own incorporated city. University is also its own business district and SouthEnd while it is close to uptown is its own service district akin to downtown/Midtown in Atlanta.

Old 05-06-2021, 05:02 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:

This is starting to change. Charlotte is building taller buildings outside of Uptown in pretty much all directions these days. South End has changed the most, essentially become a southward extension of Uptown. To the east of Uptown, there are plans to go taller in Midtown and Dilworth (and here). More suburban neighborhoods are growing up and densifying also.

Pre-pandemic, this was planned but I think it was put on hold and could be scrapped due to the pandemic, but it would be nice to see it come back in some form.

Old 05-06-2021, 07:52 PM

Quote:
It’s spread out in a sense that there are 4 competing business districts. If you ever stand at the top of the parking garage at Tampa International Airport and look back at the city it actually looks big at that angle since you can see Westshore BD and downtown in the background. If everything were together you’d have a pretty big city on your hands, but it’s just very decentralized.
Well sure, yeah in that way its more spread out. Thats what I said earlier. I havent been to the TPA garage, but I know the exact view youre talking about. But in terms of growth and development nah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Dreaming 2 View Post
Everyone seems to forget about Southpark which is the 2nd largest business district in the state and has a smaller skyline of its own about 7 miles from Uptown. There is also Ballantyne that also has its own skyline and at one time the neighborhood had considered leaving Charlotte and becoming its own incorporated city. University is also its own business district and SouthEnd while it is close to uptown is its own service district akin to downtown/Midtown in Atlanta.
No, I didn't forget. You dont have highrises going up in Ballantyne like you do in Uptown, which is my point.

People wonder why Tampa's skyline is "small" for its size. Its a combination of St Pete across the bay and the business clusters being more apart, whereas in Charlotte the majority of the action is crammed right in and around Uptown. Tampa's NFL team is not in the core either, unlike Charlotte.

I'm aware Charlotte also has edge cities, I frequent all these places you named, but Charlottes main focus and crown jewel always has been and will be Uptown and the area around it, whereas Tampa the focus is more the water. Charlotte seems to want Uptown to Manhattanize as much as possible, whereas Tampa doesnt care how sparkly downtown gets, as long as everything around it gets pimped out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
This is starting to change. Charlotte is building taller buildings outside of Uptown in pretty much all directions these days..
Ive seen it live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City