Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Charlotte or Tampa?
Charlotte 59 60.82%
Tampa 38 39.18%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2019, 08:10 AM

402 posts, read 370,264 times

Advertisements

Two cities in the South which have experienced quite a bit of growth due to transplants and corporate relocation post-recession. Two part question:
  1. Which city is better aligned to continue growth in the next decade?
  2. Which city would be best for young professionals (non-married)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2019, 09:08 AM

1,798 posts, read 1,125,637 times
You could do well in either, but I think Charlotte is better for young people. What industry are you in? That could make a difference. Charlotte attracts a lot of young people who are priced out of other major east coast metros and generally has more of a business/career mindset than Tampa.

As a young, non-married professional it's easy to find people like yourself in both metros since they are both pretty large in size. Don't expect it to have the same concentration as places like DC, Seattle, SF, NYC, etc. People who move to these metros are often at a different stage of their life from you, so be cognizant of that.

I personally would hesitate to move to a place with such a disproportionate share of old people (Tampa). Priorities are different for people at different stages of their lives. It's easy to think it won't impact your life, but it does. Public investments and priorities will be focused on things that don't matter to you. There are very tangible implications as well, such as housing prices/investments: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/th...-02?mod=encore

Charlotte's greatest appeal is for young families. It's affordable and has a great quality of life with beautiful suburbs. It's improved by leaps and bounds to become more attractive to young people, but still has lots of room for improvement.

Just for comparison, out of the 53 largest metros, Charlotte has the 10th highest share of households with children. Tampa is ranked #52, the second lowest. Like I said, be cognizant that these metros are more catered to specific groups and your groups is not the largest.

Old 12-05-2019, 09:16 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,526,037 times
I love both metros. I lived in Orlando for about a year about 12 years ago and fell in love with that whole Orlando/Tampa Bay corridor. I live in Charlotte now and have to say, Charlotte would have to be the pick here. Tampa will do very well in the 2020's, but Charlotte will be one of the national leaders during the 2020's in growth and prosperity. I can see so much going on right before my eyes nearly on a daily basis. Extremely livable here and I just love it. Again, I think Tampa will do really well, but I have to give the nod to Charlotte.

Old 12-05-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
You could do well in either, but I think Charlotte is better for young people. What industry are you in? That could make a difference. Charlotte attracts a lot of young people who are priced out of other major east coast metros and generally has more of a business/career mindset than Tampa.

As a young, non-married professional it's easy to find people like yourself in both metros since they are both pretty large in size. Don't expect it to have the same concentration as places like DC, Seattle, SF, NYC, etc. People who move to these metros are often at a different stage of their life from you, so be cognizant of that.

I personally would hesitate to move to a place with such a disproportionate share of old people (Tampa). Priorities are different for people at different stages of their lives. It's easy to think it won't impact your life, but it does. Public investments and priorities will be focused on things that don't matter to you. There are very tangible implications as well, such as housing prices/investments: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/th...-02?mod=encore

Charlotte's greatest appeal is for young families. It's affordable and has a great quality of life with beautiful suburbs. It's improved by leaps and bounds to become more attractive to young people, but still has lots of room for improvement.

Just for comparison, out of the 53 largest metros, Charlotte has the 10th highest share of households with children. Tampa is ranked #52, the second lowest. Like I said, be cognizant that these metros are more catered to specific groups and your groups is not the largest.
Great info. Interesting on the share of households with kids data point. One could assume Tampa has more singles with no kids?

Old 12-05-2019, 12:53 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,125,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest2020 View Post
Great info. Interesting on the share of households with kids data point. One could assume Tampa has more singles with no kids?
https://www.citylab.com/life/2019/01...ldfree/580372/

Old 12-05-2019, 09:14 PM

23,552 posts, read 24,057,818 times
Charlotte.

Old 12-06-2019, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
23% of Tampa households have children, interesting.

Old 05-03-2021, 02:30 PM

1,277 posts, read 1,091,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest2020 View Post
23% of Tampa households have children, interesting.
Wow. This interesting. Thanks for sharing the article. Has anyone made the leap recently from either side? I was not that impressed with Charlotte in my visit in 2011. I know a lot can change in 10 years. I was recently relocated from Miami to Tampa, so I thought Charlotte was a boring city. But from a family perspective, maybe different.

Old 05-03-2021, 03:18 PM

37,891 posts, read 41,990,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjairo191 View Post
Wow. This interesting. Thanks for sharing the article. Has anyone made the leap recently from either side? I was not that impressed with Charlotte in my visit in 2011. I know a lot can change in 10 years. I was recently relocated from Miami to Tampa, so I thought Charlotte was a boring city. But from a family perspective, maybe different.
A lot has most certainly changed in 10 years for Charlotte. But it's always going to be a much better city in which to live than visit IMO.

Old 05-04-2021, 07:40 AM

17,208 posts, read 15,421,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
A lot has most certainly changed in 10 years for Charlotte. But it's always going to be a much better city in which to live than visit IMO.
I would assume so... Because my visits there have been very underwhelming. I'm sure it's a great place to live in though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City