Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Texas city with most economic upside
Austin 56 33.53%
Dallas 82 49.10%
Houston 29 17.37%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2020, 01:41 AM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Nice boosterism but still doesn't change the fact that transplants eschew DT Dallas for the suburbs to build those massive corporate campuses that is only 10-15 minutes from employees' single-family homes. That and schools was the reason Toyota located in Legacy instead of something more urban somewhere in Dallas County.
To be fair, it seems that all the auto HQs locate their corporate offices to the suburbs. Nissan went to suburban Nashville, Mercedes is in suburban Atlanta, Volkswagen is in NoVA, etc. But in general, I have noticed that a lot of corporate HQs that go to DFW seem to land in Plano in particular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2020, 03:05 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,373,010 times
Dallas

Old 06-03-2020, 04:27 AM

2,134 posts, read 2,115,821 times
Quote:
Nice boosterism but still doesn't change the fact that transplants eschew DT Dallas for the suburbs to build those massive corporate campuses that is only 10-15 minutes from employees' single-family homes. That and schools was the reason Toyota located in Legacy instead of something more urban somewhere in Dallas County.

Houston just had a massive mid-rise boom, i.e. office buildings, during the '10s. The Dallas (not including Uptown) skyline hasn't changed during that decade.
Like usual, you don't know diddly crap about Dallas and just spew out nonsense and fake news whenever the topic of Dallas city vs. its suburbs come up.

I know this is hard for you to understand but growth can occur in BOTH areas and at various speeds. It's not an either-or thing. It is a solid fact that BOTH Downtown/Uptown/Adjacent Neighborhoods and the suburbs have been growing. They're growing for different reasons but they've been growing. Period. End of story. You write nonsense like "Downtown Dallas is dying or the Uptown skyline hasn't changed during the 10's." Dude, quit the lies. Uptown & Victory Park have changed considerably since 2010.

Old 06-03-2020, 06:19 AM

6,693 posts, read 9,939,641 times
Yeah, Dallas hasn’t changed at all....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=bIXhY04nWlE

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=jN4I0oXooZo

Old 06-03-2020, 06:27 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,699,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
To be fair, it seems that all the auto HQs locate their corporate offices to the suburbs.
GM says "Hi!!!"

But as far as why many (not all) auto companies locate to the suburbs, there are a couple reasons:

1. Management in automotive tends to be quite conservative and thus they seek an environment that will appeal to their more traditional ideals of how America should be (I.E. suburbia).

2. Logistically, auto companies want to be in close proximity to their assembly plants as well as the facilities for their suppliers for efficient collaboration, which (for a number of reasons) locate on the edge of urban areas or even rural small towns within driving distance of urban areas.

It has little to do with the overall health/desirability of any one urban core

Last edited by citidata18; 06-03-2020 at 06:37 AM..

Old 06-03-2020, 06:37 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,803,077 times
That is not what he said at all.
You guys are reacting but not listening.

He said that most of these corporate relocations end up in the burbs
That is not opinion it is fact and I don't see how that can be seen as derogatory as that is by no means a unique situation as the same thing is happening all over.

He also mentioned that the Dallas skyline hasn't changed in 10 years which is also true. He never said that downtown is dying. How did you get that from his post? You totally changed what he said. He went out of his way in the most simplest terms to state that uptown is an exception to that and you somehow took that to mean the uptown skyline hasn't changed?

What's going on? Did you guys read the post? There is defending your city and there is just flat out boosting. If you are not even listening to what he is saying but just pumping up Dallas you all know which one you are doing right?

Old 06-03-2020, 06:40 AM

Quote:

Houston just had a massive mid-rise boom, i.e. office buildings, during the '10s. The Dallas (not including Uptown) skyline hasn't changed during that decade.
What does changes in the skyline have to do with the health of a city?

Old 06-03-2020, 06:42 AM

6,693 posts, read 9,939,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
That is not what he said at all.
You guys are reacting but not listening.

He said that most of these corporate relocations end up in the burbs
That is not opinion it is fact and I don't see how that can be seen as derogatory as that is by no means a unique situation as the same thing is happening all over.

He also mentioned that the Dallas skyline hasn't changed in 10 years which is also true. He never said that downtown is dying. How did you get that from his post? You totally changed what he said. He went out of his way in the most simplest terms to state that uptown is an exception to that and you somehow took that to mean the uptown skyline hasn't changed?

What's going on? Did you guys read the post? There is defending your city and there is just flat out boosting. If you are not even listening to what he is saying but just pumping up Dallas you all know which one you are doing right?
To say it has changed at all is still a lie. There have been multiple highrises that have went up in Downtown.

Old 06-03-2020, 06:46 AM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
GM says "Hi!!!"

But as far as why many (not all) auto companies locate to the suburbs, there are a couple reasons:

1. Management in automotive tends to be quite conservative and thus they seek an environment that will appeal to their more traditional ideals of how America should be (I.E. suburbia).

2. Logistically, auto companies want to be in close proximity to their assembly plants as well as the facilities for their suppliers for efficient collaboration, which (for a number of reasons) locate on the edge of urban areas or even rural small towns within driving distance of urban areas.

It has little to do with the overall health/desirability of any one urban core
I was mainly referring to those automakers that have relocated their corporate offices in recent years, e.g. the non-American companies. I'm glad that GM has bucked that overall trend though.

Old 06-03-2020, 06:48 AM

All of that said, as far as the poll choices, I selected Dallas.

The wild card for Houston will be what happens with Oil. There are definitely more head winds this decade than last.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City