Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Texas city with most economic upside
Austin 56 33.53%
Dallas 82 49.10%
Houston 29 17.37%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2020, 03:14 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,803,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
Dallas being the most diverse of the economies will weather most things better. Many of us have been saying this and yep. here they are noticeably better. I wonder where Ft. Worth Falls or is FT. worth included in Dallas.
Losing the most jobs isn't really noticeably better even though the percentage is technically less.
Dallas numbers are pretty much in the same boat as Houston. Objective eyes would not see it otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2020, 10:37 PM

44 posts, read 33,245 times
Default They will all do fine

All of these Cities are going to do very well over the next 10 years. When compared to most of America they all 3 excell. I would be more concerned about the tech heavy cities like Austin because tech is pretty bloated right now and could suffer from international competition and by workers looking for more affordable cities.

Old 06-10-2020, 09:38 AM

3,141 posts, read 2,045,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Losing the most jobs isn't really noticeably better even though the percentage is technically less.
Dallas numbers are pretty much in the same boat as Houston. Objective eyes would not see it otherwise.
Agreed. I think that the benefit of DFW's super diverse economy has been overstated. Houston's numbers aren't dramatically different despite the multi-year weakness in O&G.

All of them will be fine in the next ten years. I actually think the metro with the most upside is San Antonio.

Old 06-10-2020, 10:26 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,838,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Agreed. I think that the benefit of DFW's super diverse economy has been overstated. Houston's numbers aren't dramatically different despite the multi-year weakness in O&G.

All of them will be fine in the next ten years. I actually think the metro with the most upside is San Antonio.
Yep having a diverse economy means nothing when you have a complete economic shutdown. Industries that DFW cater to like Retail & Aviation are being hit hard.

Old 06-10-2020, 03:01 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,973,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
Dallas being the most diverse of the economies will weather most things better. Many of us have been saying this and yep. here they are noticeably better. I wonder where Ft. Worth Falls or is FT. worth included in Dallas.
In the grand scheme of things they aren't too much different. Couple that with the fact DFW's companies may see harder times ahead. I'm talking about many of the retail stores HQed in DFW, along with a shifting airline industry. We could see a dramatic change when looking at bankruptcies and buyouts coming up. There are so many unanswered questions coming out of this "pandemic" that I believe effects companies in DFW way more than elsewhere in the state.

Houston has seen an energy slump but as usual the energy companies double down on Houston so you're seeing consolidation. Plus many of the manufacturers who use to supply the energy industry are switching to other industries like healthcare. It's been interesting to watch over the last few months.

Old 06-10-2020, 06:22 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
I think I know where you're coming from, but elaborate a little bit if you don't mind.

Old 06-10-2020, 06:55 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,699,271 times
Quote:

I think of San Antonio like the San Diego of Texas

While it will continue to experience steady growth and it's a fine city for people who fit a certain profile, it doesn't have the dynamic economy (now nor in the forseeable future) that will lead to explosive population and development like it has in Dallas, Houston and Austin.

Old 06-10-2020, 06:58 PM

44 posts, read 33,245 times
Default COVID-19 changed everything

I was thinking that Dallas had the most upside but with this COVID-19 now im worried about that.
They say the bigger they are.............the harder they fall and there has been heavy specualtion in the Dallas.I hope that Uber opffice opens up in Deep Ellum.
area lately. I hope Dallas recovers without too much falout it is a nice city and was realy on the move before this stupifd COVID thing. Houston is the toughest city of the 3. It takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

Old 06-10-2020, 07:21 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,699,271 times
The comments about Dallas on the last page are a bit too pessimistic IMO, for a few reasons:

1. Yes, companies like Neiman Marcus, JCP and American Airlines are struggling right now. And yes, post COVID-19, they will likely be smaller than they were before. But like GM and Ford after the Great Recession, they're not going anywhere. I would argue American Airlines is too big to fail, while Neiman Marcus and JCP aren't nearly as bad off in the eyes of consumers as Sears (especially Neiman's).

2. There will be an economic recovery in the wake of this current downturn, and companies will start taking on large capital expenditures again such as relocations and corporate office expansions. The evolution of companies already established in Dallas aside, its extremely diverse talent pool (versus Houston's talent pool which generally specializes in O&G, or Austin's talent pool which generally specializes in Tech) will remain a huge attraction to businesses for new operation centers or even headquarters in the future.

3. Little do people know, Dallas / Fort Worth is one of the largest hubs in the country for the Defense Industry (besides Southern California and Northern Virginia). Lockheed Martin alone has nearly 20,000 people at its plant there, Bell Helicopter has roughly 5,000 employees there, L3 Harris has a huge facility in Greenville and Raytheon has significant operations all over the northern suburbs. Not only is the industry generally recession-proof, but contractors has been on a massive hiring spree since COVID-19 hit.

Old 06-10-2020, 08:02 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,973,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think I know where you're coming from, but elaborate a little bit if you don't mind.
Part of the reason is because SA has not seen a surge in real estate prices like it's neighbor Austin and is able to offer the typical family friendly environment people look for. It's inland enough to not deal with tropical systems as much and SA has some beautiful landscape making it an attractive city. I think what turns people off to it the most is the culture of it is really geared towards Tejanos but me personally I don't mind it at all. Over the last few decades, San Antonio is the only major Texas city to have consistent economic growth. DFW, Houston, and Austin have all hit pretty hard times at least once
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City