Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2020, 09:20 PM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I do know that Princeton was long-considered to be the Ivy League school with at least a few southern characteristics..

As for the original question, I would still take Pasadena, and neighboring Los Angeles. The temperature isn't that much of a factor since Philly's winters aren't especially cold, anyway. LA , with all that activity,all that diversity, along with that constant sunshine, and a million and one things to do, is going to win this..
The school in question was the University of Pennsylvania. Princeton didn't have a medical school back then, and it still doesn't have one now - it's the only university in the Ivies without a school of medicine. (Penn's is the nation's first. Aside: Princeton's principal hospital is now part of the University of Pennsylvania Health System.)

LA's bigger than Philly; of course it's going to have more to do. But it isn't like Philly's lacking in those attributes, and given that, I'd like to suggest that the atmosphere surrounding the Mummers Parade itself is more party-like than at the Tournament of Roses. If Mardi Gras and Carnival aren't your thing, then you won't care much for the Mummers either, but generally speaking, both of those events combine parade and party in a way the Rose Parade doesn't, and the Mummers follow in the Mardi Gras/Carnival tradition - recall what those Trinidadian-Americans I cited said.

As for LA's weather: I don't think it's ever rained on New Year's Day, but if my memory of visiting my Mom and brother when they lived in Brentwood in the late 1970s is accurate, winter in the more northerly latitudes is when it rains in LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2020, 06:22 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,754,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
I never heard of the Mummers thing. Googled it, and the first article was about blackface. So yes, I can see it can be controversial. That aside, and interesting parade that I knew nothing about.
The comic group who had the blackface this year was disqualified. Blackface, in the parade, was out ruled decades ago.

Old 01-07-2020, 10:50 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
It's also the only parade I know of where there's an entire section devoted to satirical and humorous commentary on current events. The comic brigades occasionally get into hot water for some of their portrayals (like one the year before last in which one brigade made fun of Bruce/Caitlyn Jenner's sex change with a performance using the song "Dude Looks Like a Lady"), but when they hit the mark, they can be scathingly funny, like the brigade that made fun of the city's erratic property tax assessments with a "The Price is Right" wheel-spin sendup this year.
Krewe D'Etat Mardi Gras parade on the Friday before Fat Tuesday is full of satirical floats.

I've never been to either parade but the Tournament of Roses parade looks boring as hell. Pretty floats but that's about. You just sit there and watch floats? No thanks. I prefer more fun, lively Mardi Gras style parades.

Old 01-07-2020, 12:20 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
My boyfriend's family hails from Trinidad and Tobago. (His Dad is a famous soccer star there.)

He tells me that the Mummers Parade reminds him of Carnival.

And during this evening's broadcast of the fancy brigade shows, the host interviewed two black women in the audience who came every year.

One of them was also Trinidadian and said the same thing.

So that Mardi Gras analogy hits closer to the mark than you knew.

It is a little like Mardi Gras especially later on 2 street

little known nationwide

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjyvCNI7vUg

Old 01-07-2020, 08:02 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,239,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
It is a little like Mardi Gras especially later on 2 street
little known nationwide

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjyvCNI7vUg
Move it to Mardi Gras day. But not a whole lot warmer up North. But better.

It outlived it's New Years Hay-Day era. ...... was always very sting to me and I'm not young.

Guys in feathers is more fit for Gay Pride or Mardi Gras today..... Just opinion.

Straight or Gay ..... I'd rather see females in feathers. sorry. HUUUUGE plumbs too in silk pajamas basically these Conservative guys wear....... Not allowing others in the wrong gender or race in too.

I just understand it is a Philly tradition..... that ends there.

Last edited by DavePa; 01-07-2020 at 08:15 PM..

Old 01-08-2020, 08:42 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Krewe D'Etat Mardi Gras parade on the Friday before Fat Tuesday is full of satirical floats.

I've never been to either parade but the Tournament of Roses parade looks boring as hell. Pretty floats but that's about. You just sit there and watch floats? No thanks. I prefer more fun, lively Mardi Gras style parades.
"Krewe d'Etat"

Just strengthens the Mummers-Mardi Gras parallel.

I'm with you on the relative merits of the two parades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City