Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2019, 09:10 PM

5,518 posts, read 8,765,046 times

Advertisements

Never been to the Mummers or Tournament of Roses parades, though I’ve visited both cities. But which one city is better to be in — more fun, interesting, livelier, whatever—on New Year’s Day? And why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2019, 09:36 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times
I would say Pasadena and the Tournament Of Roses Parade. Pasadena is such a beautiful town to begin with. And the weather right now is picture perfect.

Old 12-31-2019, 11:50 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,373,010 times
Pasadena cuz its better weather

Old 01-01-2020, 01:28 AM

1,631 posts, read 2,385,526 times
Weather - because it is better in Pasadena.

Old 01-01-2020, 06:22 PM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
I'd say that if you can handle the colder weather, the answer depends on what kind of parade experience you want.

The Tournament of Roses Parade is gorgeous. Loads of professionally designed floats bursting with flowers, phalanxes of high school marching bands.

The Mummers Parade is like no other I know of in the United States - it's a 110-plus-year-old homegrown folk tradition. Everything about it is handmade and very much amateur, but the participants put on quite a show and it's a riot of color, especially when the string bands (the most popular part of the all-day parade) perform. And they perform numbers with the polish of professional musical theater.

It's also the only parade I know of where there's an entire section devoted to satirical and humorous commentary on current events. The comic brigades occasionally get into hot water for some of their portrayals (like one the year before last in which one brigade made fun of Bruce/Caitlyn Jenner's sex change with a performance using the song "Dude Looks Like a Lady"), but when they hit the mark, they can be scathingly funny, like the brigade that made fun of the city's erratic property tax assessments with a "The Price is Right" wheel-spin sendup this year.

That last also tells you something: this is a truly local celebration. It's a way to experience Philadelphians at once putting on a show for themselves and letting their hair down. It's not all roses - after this happened to me one New Year's Day about a decade ago, I said to friends, "You haven't lived until you've been called a 'f**king f*gg*t' by a man in a dress" [a drunken wench yelled that as I passed by him] - but the parade has cleaned up its act since those years and made itself more suitable for television.

I'd recommend you put on layers and make your way to South Broad Street on one New Year's Day, even if you spend all the others in sunny Pasadena. You won't have to stand out in the cold for the entire parade - most of the bars on or near the parade route have the TV broadcast of it on, and you can warm yourself with some whiskey, a hot toddy or Irish coffee. And the final part of the parade - the fancy brigades - has gotten so elaborate that the performances take place inside the Pennsylvania Convention Center at 8 p.m. (You have to buy a ticket to get in.)

Last edited by MarketStEl; 01-01-2020 at 06:46 PM..

Old 01-01-2020, 06:36 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,398,943 times
Pasadena

Old 01-01-2020, 09:38 PM

This is very interesting.

I just described the parade the OP would see in Philadelphia at some length in an attempt to answer this question:

Quote:
But which one city is better to be in — more fun, interesting, livelier, whatever—on New Year’s Day? And why?
And so far, everyone else says that the reason to be in Pasadena is because it has better weather.

Nothing about any of the attributes the OP queried.

I already know that I go against the grain in welcoming everything about winter save the early sunsets, but it seems to me that endless summer alone doesn't make a place "more fun, interesting, [or] livelier."

(I didn't even touch on the general party atmosphere that surrounds the Mummers Parade.)

What's Pasadena bring to that table, other than proximity to LA?

Old 01-01-2020, 10:03 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,239,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
This is very interesting.

I just described the parade the OP would see in Philadelphia at some length in an attempt to answer this question:

And so far, everyone else says that the reason to be in Pasadena is because it has better weather.

Nothing about any of the attributes the OP queried.

I already know that I go against the grain in welcoming everything about winter save the early sunsets, but it seems to me that endless summer alone doesn't make a place "more fun, interesting, [or] livelier."

(I didn't even touch on the general party atmosphere that surrounds the Mummers Parade.)

What's Pasadena bring to that table, other than proximity to LA?
Wasn't this about a day and two parades to choose? So proximity to LA is irreverent and now the day will soon be over. Just can't imagine going for just a day. So what's around too should be in general too. But still not what was asked.

But most are using a day or more away from winter as a big key too.m If they basically had to choose. Just wasn't about the city's in general ..... but on the day of the parade and probably others opinions. Just on a CERTIAN day both have parades.

That is what I got from the topic and OP's opening post. Cost wasn't even asked. Still a vague thread. I think many under 30 especially. Probably never herd of the Mummer's parade. I certainly looks more like a parade for a Mardi Gras ......

Last edited by DavePa; 01-01-2020 at 10:12 PM..

Old 01-01-2020, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post

That is what I got from the topic and OP's opening post. Cost wasn't even asked. Still a vague thread. I think many under 30 especially. Probably never herd of the Mummer's parade. I certainly looks more like a parade for a Mardi Gras ......
My boyfriend's family hails from Trinidad and Tobago. (His Dad is a famous soccer star there.)

He tells me that the Mummers Parade reminds him of Carnival.

And during this evening's broadcast of the fancy brigade shows, the host interviewed two black women in the audience who came every year.

One of them was also Trinidadian and said the same thing.

So that Mardi Gras analogy hits closer to the mark than you knew.

Old 01-01-2020, 11:51 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,844,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
It's also the only parade I know of where there's an entire section devoted to satirical and humorous commentary on current events. The comic brigades occasionally get into hot water for some of their portrayals (like one the year before last in which one brigade made fun of Bruce/Caitlyn Jenner's sex change with a performance using the song "Dude Looks Like a Lady"), but when they hit the mark
I never heard of the Mummers thing. Googled it, and the first article was about blackface. So yes, I can see it can be controversial. That aside, and interesting parade that I knew nothing about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City