Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2020, 04:42 PM

1,351 posts, read 894,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Portland, Oregon
Las Vegas
Miami
Dallas
Austin
Kansas City
Minneapolis
Milwaukee
Pittsburgh

What poor man version of these cities ?
I posted it up thread, but Des Moines is a poor man's KC. Has a little Minneapolis to it as well. It literally sits between the two, so it's a pretty obvious connection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2020, 06:29 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,106,991 times
Milwaukee...a poor man's Chicago just like how Buick is a poor man's Cadillac.

Old 04-12-2020, 06:31 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,106,991 times
Racine...a poor man's Detroit..lol. Only the locals will get that joke.

Old 04-12-2020, 06:58 PM

747 posts, read 497,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
San Juan poor mans Honolulu? What the hell is wrong with you?
This made me spot out my drink for some reason lol

Old 04-13-2020, 12:00 AM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
I posted it up thread, but Des Moines is a poor man's KC. Has a little Minneapolis to it as well. It literally sits between the two, so it's a pretty obvious connection.
Good point.

Some would cast Omaha - which, after all, is home to the Kansas City Royals' Triple-A farm team - in that role. But it's not as much of a poor man's Minneapolis - for some strange reason, it's never been a center of grain production and handling, for starters; being grain shipment and milling centers is something else Minneapolis and Kansas City share along with distance from Des Moines.

I would cast Jacksonville as the poor man's Miami and Reno as the poor man's Las Vegas.

I'm tempted to call Fort Worth the poor man's Dallas, but can you really call the second core city of the same metropolitan area that?

Depending on what aspect of Pittsburgh you wish to focus on, the role of "poor man's Pittsburgh" goes to either Birmingham (Ala.) or Youngstown, Ohio.

I'm not sure there is a poor man's Austin. That Texas city is sui generis in a state that is the same.

Ditto Portland. The cities in the eastern part of both Oregon and Washington state are radically different from those on the other side of the Cascades. Maybe Boise, but that's stretching it.

Old 04-13-2020, 08:17 AM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Portland, Oregon

What poor man version of these cities ?
Las Vegas-----Reno
Miami-----Tampa?
Dallas-----KC
Austin-----Madison
Kansas City -----Omaha
Minneapolis-----?
Milwaukee-----?
Pittsburgh------Bowling Green

Old 04-13-2020, 09:06 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,887,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Las Vegas-----Reno
Miami-----Tampa?
Dallas-----KC
Austin-----Madison
Kansas City -----Omaha
Minneapolis-----?
Milwaukee-----?
Pittsburgh------Bowling Green
Milwaukee - Buffalo?

Old 04-13-2020, 10:14 AM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Milwaukee - Buffalo?
Possibly

Also probably would say OKC is more like Dallas than KC is.

Last edited by Gaylord_Focker; 04-13-2020 at 11:02 AM..

Old 04-13-2020, 12:02 PM

1,351 posts, read 894,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Good point.

Some would cast Omaha - which, after all, is home to the Kansas City Royals' Triple-A farm team - in that role. But it's not as much of a poor man's Minneapolis - for some strange reason, it's never been a center of grain production and handling, for starters; being grain shipment and milling centers is something else Minneapolis and Kansas City share along with distance from Des Moines.

I would cast Jacksonville as the poor man's Miami and Reno as the poor man's Las Vegas.

I'm tempted to call Fort Worth the poor man's Dallas, but can you really call the second core city of the same metropolitan area that?

Depending on what aspect of Pittsburgh you wish to focus on, the role of "poor man's Pittsburgh" goes to either Birmingham (Ala.) or Youngstown, Ohio.

I'm not sure there is a poor man's Austin. That Texas city is sui generis in a state that is the same.

Ditto Portland. The cities in the eastern part of both Oregon and Washington state are radically different from those on the other side of the Cascades. Maybe Boise, but that's stretching it.
I think Omaha and Des Moines are some of the most similar cities in the country, FWIW. But I agree that Omaha doesn't feel like a smaller version of Minneapolis. Des Moines really doesn't either - it's layout, look, and culture is closer to Kansas City, but I think there's just more of an influence from Minneapolis there. The Wild's farm squad is in Des Moines (for example), and there seems to be some other overlaps with music and art.

I don't know that any city feels really like a poor man's version of Minneapolis. It sits at the meeting of the Plains and the North Woods, and has influences of both. It's a Mississippi River town. It's really liberal. The next closest metro areas in Minnesota are drastically smaller.

Madison, WI might be the closest thing to a poor man's Minneapolis, I guess.

Old 04-13-2020, 03:36 PM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
If Milwaukee is a Buick, Appleton is a Chevy while Green Bay is a Pontiac. In away, this creates extra layers of being hidden in the background. Other examples:

DETROIT: Buick, TOLEDO: Chevrolet, FLINT: Geo (lower than Chevy when it existed), ANN ARBOR: Pontiac
BOSTON: Cadillac, PROVIDENCE: Buick, PORTLAND, ME: Chevrolet
SEATTLE: Cadillac, PORTLAND: Buick, BELLINGHAM: Chevrolet
DALLAS: Cadillac, FORT WORTH: Lincoln, OKLAHOMA CITY: Buick, WACO: Chevrolet, AUSTIN: Pontiac Trans Am (top trim)
ATLANTA: Cadillac, CHARTLOTTE: Buick, GREENVILLE: Chevrolet, ATHENS, GA: Pontiac, SAVANNAH: Oldsmobile
NEW ORLEANS: Cadillac, BATON ROUGE: Buick, MOBILE: Chevrolet
WASHINGTON DC: Cadillac, BALTIMORE: Buick, FREDERICKSBURG: Chevrolet, RICHMOND: Oldsmobile, CHARLOTTSVILLE: Pontiac
HONOLULU: Cadillac, HILO: Buick, KONA: Pontiac, Rest of the Big Island of Hawaii: Chevrolet
LOS ANGELES: Cadillac, SAN DIEGO: Buick, SAN BERNANDIDO: Chevrolet, BEVERLY HILLS: Rolls-Royce
SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA: Cadillac, SACRAMENTO: Buick, FRESNO: Chevrolet
DENVER: Cadillac, COLORADO SPRINGS: Buick, PUEBLO: Chevrolet, BOULDER: Pontiac
MINNEAPOLIS: Cadillac, ST. PAUL: Lincoln, ROCHESTER, MN: Buick, FARGO: Chevrolet
KANSAS CITY: Cadillac, OMAHA: Buick, WICHITA: Chevrolet
CINCINNATI: Oldsmobile, COLUMBUS: Pontiac, CLEVELAND: Buick, YOUNGSTOWN: Chevrolet
NYC: Rolls-Royce, PHILLY: Cadillac, ALLENTOWN: Chevrolet
Absolutely brilliant!

We should start a "What kind of car is your city?" discussion.

I'd also open the characterizations to foreign brands (especially since the biggies - Toyota, Honda, Volkswagen, Mercedes - build cars in the US). At least one, and maybe two, cities on this list should really be Toyota Priuses.

Edited to add: You did leave a few large cities out of this taxonomy, so I'm going to take a stab at those:

CLEVELAND: Cadillac; PITTSBURGH: Lincoln; COLUMBUS: Buick; ERIE: Chevrolet; YOUNGSTOWN: Edsel (there, that should date me)

BUFFALO: Buick; ROCHESTER: Ford; SYRACUSE: Saturn; ITHACA: VW Bus

NASHVILLE: Cadillac (with extra bling); MEMPHIS: Buick; BIRMINGHAM: Pontiac; MOBILE: Chevrolet; MONTGOMERY: Geo; KNOXVILLE: Toyota Prius

Last edited by MarketStEl; 04-13-2020 at 03:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City