Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2022, 08:07 AM

1,272 posts, read 2,181,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcBetrus View Post
I've heard people say that Tampa bay is the poor mans version of San Diego.

I do not agree at all, but I've heard it spoken before.
Tampa is more like a poor man's Miami or Houston than anything on the West Coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2022, 08:23 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,916,343 times
I'd argue that Portland, Maine is the poor man's Boston. The biggest difference is diversity.

The architecture, the food and beer scene, the topography are all similar. Portland could really be a neighborhood in Boston.

For Chicago, it's Milwaukee. Again, there are some glaring similarities between the two, most notably Lake Michigan and the river. Milwaukee's Third Ward is a smaller, less shiny version of Chicago's West Loop. Many others where you could draw parallels.

Old 10-24-2022, 09:37 AM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
You just made that connection yourself. If DC posters are comparing Baltimore and philly, how does that logic imply its a poor man's DC?
Huh?

DC & Baltimore are very connected cities, there is a lot of travel and relocations between the two cities, and Baltimore is cheaper... Wouldn't that fit the bill for Baltimore being the poor mans DC?

Philadelphia and Baltimore aren't connected like DC & Baltimore, and both cities having rowhouses doesn't make for an apt comparison with regard to the thread topic (DC also has a lot of rowhouses).

My point, there is a stronger case for DC & Baltimore than Philadelphia & Baltimore. But it seems DC posters disagree, and are almost offended by that idea.

Old 10-24-2022, 10:58 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,655,643 times
Default Boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Huh?

DC & Baltimore are very connected cities, there is a lot of travel and relocations between the two cities, and Baltimore is cheaper... Wouldn't that fit the bill for Baltimore being the poor mans DC?

Philadelphia and Baltimore aren't connected like DC & Baltimore, and both cities having rowhouses doesn't make for an apt comparison with regard to the thread topic (DC also has a lot of rowhouses).

My point, there is a stronger case for DC & Baltimore than Philadelphia & Baltimore. But it seems DC posters disagree, and are almost offended by that idea.
If you are saying Baltimore is a poor man's DC I won't stop you but you implied that. Why would DC be offended of Baltimore being a poor man's DC. I'd think Baltimore would be more offended as they view themselves as a peer.

Old 10-24-2022, 11:02 AM

3,527 posts, read 2,321,970 times
Quote:
Huh?

DC & Baltimore are way to dissimilar which why no one’s mentioned them as a “pair” in the context of this thread.

Philly & Baltimore are superficially similar on a urban & economic front but that’s about where their similarities end.

Last edited by Joakim3; 10-24-2022 at 12:21 PM..

Old 10-24-2022, 11:26 AM

4,399 posts, read 4,288,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Portland = cheaper Seattle
Seattle = cheaper San Francisco
Austin = cheaper Bay Area

Charlotte = Smaller Atlanta minus the filming hub
Denver = cheaper Los Angeles (kind of)
Phoenix = cheaper Los Angeles (kind of)
Boise = cheaper anything Pacific
Salt Lake City = slightly cheaper Denver
Those are a major stretch. Those cities have a completely different identity than the ones that they are a "cheaper" version of.

Old 10-24-2022, 11:45 AM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
DC & Baltimore are way to dissimilar which why no one’s mentioned them as a “pair” in the context of this thread.

Philly & Baltimore are superficially similar on a urban front but that’s about where their similarities end.
Do you think Richmond is a poor man's Baltimore?

Old 10-24-2022, 12:21 PM

3,527 posts, read 2,321,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Do you think Richmond is a poor man's Baltimore?
Norfolk would probably fit that label better than Richmond imho.

Old 10-24-2022, 03:14 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
By the logic of certain DC posters, wouldn't it make sense that Baltimore is a poor mans version of DC?

Some DC posters on this board include Baltimore when it benefits DC (GDP, population, etc.), but for these types of threads its an outcast city that only compares to Philadelphia. (my interpretation reading the thread).

Per the topic, my take as a Philadelphian living in NYC... Philly & Baltimore have similarities in their built environments (not so much in the core though), but I wouldn't think to consider them a pair, they're not very connected in terms of anything... I'd say NYC/Philly and Philly/Wilmington are more apt comparisons for many obvious reasons.
Whaaa? You're not making any sense. I'll repost what I've already posted up thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
No you are conflating two separate topics that have nothing to do with one another. I'm sure you haven't seen it, but I've actually started an exact thread on this, as to why I believe DC/Baltimore is the most unique CSA region in the country due to your exact point. The two cities IMO are the most distinctive in one combined metro in the nation if you ask me. But that can be discussed over there.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/city...ashington.html

The OP never mentioned cities needing to be a carbon copy of one another. DC and Baltimore have similarities yes, but no one would ever confuse either one as a poor man's version of the other. Is white collar/international transplant DC with fancy Michelin starred restaurants, a poor mans version of historically blue collar, and older ethnic enclave driven Baltimore, with more foodie driven local mom and pop eateries etc? The harbor of Baltimore, and Center City Philadelphia are the bigger differences between the cities, but again for lack of better wording the thread is about "poor mans version", not exact clone, and not that Baltimore is "poor', but it's big bro/sis is still Philly.
It's like people on here cant compartmentalize one topic, without providing depth to new threads without reverting back to the same topics that come up every 3 threads or so on C-D, and btw none of what I was referring to was about you Cpomp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post

Philly & Baltimore are superficially similar on a urban & economic front but that’s about where their similarities end.
This is literally all I'm pointing out, and doesn't warrant someone taking the comparison personal. If anything for Philly posters at least it's tipping a cap to the city being the primary city version being compared, not a "poor mans version", and as I said it's not a literal phrase meaning poor anything for Baltimore either, it's a stand alone city.

Old 10-24-2022, 04:18 PM

128 posts, read 72,105 times
Quote:
Norfolk would probably fit that label better than Richmond imho.
I would agree that Norfolk could be considered a poor man's Baltimore. They both are historical port cities with a similar culture. Not to mention Norfolk is the home of the Baltimore Orioles Farm team the Norfolk Tides. They also both have entertainment districts tied to their harbor areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City