Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2022, 05:12 PM

704 posts, read 444,379 times

Advertisements

Las Vegas is a poor man's Nashville
El Paso is a poor man's San Antonio
Chattanooga is a poor man's Knoxville
Savannah or Charleston is a poor man's New Orleans
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2022, 05:40 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Beyond like the physical build form similarities I feel like Philly and Baltimore also share being a sort of “urban outpost” for bigger flashier richer cities. Although critically Philly is self sustaining while a lot of those Baltimore Yuppies commute to DC. So the CBD is more derelict

Old 10-24-2022, 05:53 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,429,035 times
Philadelphia is a poor man's NYC

Old 10-24-2022, 06:11 PM

12,161 posts, read 8,002,089 times
I may be biased because i just dropped $150 for a Phillies hat and Jersey. Buuuttt, I think Philly is more like NYC than Baltimore.

Old 10-24-2022, 06:18 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,026,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganderTexan View Post

Really? I thought those two were on par, and if anything, Chattanooga is booming a little more. But I have not been to TN (it's the closest state with that honor, in fact).

Old 10-24-2022, 06:58 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,073,305 times
Ann Arbor is a poor man's Berkley
East Lansing is a poor man's Ann Arbor
Kalamazoo is a poor man's Grand Rapids

Old 10-24-2022, 10:09 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Norfolk would probably fit that label better than Richmond imho.
Quote:
Originally Posted by canalcity63 View Post
I would agree that Norfolk could be considered a poor man's Baltimore. They both are historical port cities with a similar culture. Not to mention Norfolk is the home of the Baltimore Orioles Farm team the Norfolk Tides. They also both have entertainment districts tied to their harbor areas.
This makes sense. I found Norfolk to have more similarities with Baltimore. Richmond seemed like it was trying to align itself with D.C. Norfolk has a charming and creative culture energy like Baltimore.

Old 10-25-2022, 03:03 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,450,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
As usual personal sentiments have gotten in the way of actual thought process and sticking to the OP. It's interesting how the thirst to dominate or just take over every thread with the same rhetoric over and over again when mentioning a Baltimore > Philly comparison, rather than accept the comparable.

The thread has nothing to do with who's in one city feeling tied into the people living in another. With people adamant that "People in Philly don't think about Baltimore". Well guess what, people in Los Angeles aren't just sitting at home thinking about Phoenix either, yet those two are being compared by others here also. You don't see posters here shouting that from the hill top just to get a word in. The thread also isn't about one city being a carbon copy of another as no major US city's are as such.
And just what are you talking about here? You're not making sense. Who exactly "thirst[s] to dominate or just take over every thread with the same rhetoric?" Is it you? It sounds that way to me.

You don't have to agree with what everyone posts, but your histrionics are uncalled for. If I or others don't think Baltimore qualifies as a "poor man's version" of Philadelphia, respond to why you disagree, or deal with it.

At the end of the day, it's a forum in which we are supposed to discuss topics. You aren't the forum police re: who is "dominating" or "taking over the thread with the same rhetoric." It sounds like you dislike posters from Philadelphia, which isn't very nice.

C'mon now. I made actual points about why Baltimore is not nearly as similar to Philadelphia as so many think it is. It's a forum in which debate is permitted.

Old 10-25-2022, 05:41 AM

4,379 posts, read 4,621,029 times
Quote:
Las Vegas a poor man's Nashville exactly how? Matter fact how are any of these cities a poor man version of any of those mentioned cities?

Old 10-25-2022, 06:09 AM

2,337 posts, read 2,286,565 times
Quote:
Wow, horrible claim there buddy. Charleston is way wealthier than New Orleans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City