Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2022, 06:13 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
Actually, I don't think any city "embraces" being called a poor man's anything. That's why this thread has become pretty toxic. Philadelphia certainly does not feel that way about NYC. Not sure why you went off on a limb there.
Can't +1 you officially, so doing it this way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2022, 07:22 AM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Actually, I don't think any city "embraces" being called a poor man's anything. That's why this thread has become pretty toxic. Philadelphia certainly does not feel that way about NYC. Not sure why you went off on a limb there.
While I agree with the sentiment and am not surprised that the thread turned toxic, Worcester MA might be an example of a city that might truly embrace being called a “poor man’s Boston”.

The city is really proud of its industrial, working class heritage. One of its most famous landmarks is Mechanics Hall, which was built by a workers association rather than by a wealthy industrialist like in NYC. It was an early adopter if the triple decker as workforce housing. It gave the world the smiley face, but the artist never attempted to get rich or famous from it.

It’s almost noteworthy for being so humble and unassuming and is juxtaposed in this sense with Boston, which has always been very elitist and classist not to mention obnoxiously proud and self-satisfied.

Last edited by Boston Shudra; 10-26-2022 at 07:33 AM..

Old 10-26-2022, 07:22 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Quote:
I didn't go out on a limb. As it pertains to C-D, Philly touts itself as the poor man's NYC. Countless threads have posters from philly saying that, "we have the 2nd best ______ after NYC," or "we have the 2nd most or 2nd largest after NYC." I've mentioned it several times in previous threads. I do agree that the premise of this thread is very toxic.

Old 10-26-2022, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I didn't go out on a limb. As it pertains to C-D, Philly touts itself as the poor man's NYC. Countless threads have posters from philly saying that, "we have the 2nd best ______ after NYC," or "we have the 2nd most or 2nd largest after NYC." I've mentioned it several times in previous threads. I do agree that the premise of this thread is very toxic.
"Second to NYC" isn't the same as saying "a poor man's NYC".

The one time I've ever used that phrase was to describe the main shopping street of Collingswood, N.J. as "a poor man's Haddonfield." This was in the early 1980s, when half the storefronts on Haddon Avenue were vacant and those that were occupied looked faded.

Haddon Avenue still isn't as tony as Haddonfield's Kings Highway East, but I wouldn't dare use that phrase to describe busy, lively Haddon Avenue now.

"Poor man's" carries with it a connotation of lack — of inferiority beyond what "second best" or "second most" imply. Not only do we not "tout" ourself as "a poor man's NYC," we don't use that phrase at all — and many here chafe at the use of the phrase "the sixth borough" to describe Philadelphia.

Old 10-26-2022, 12:32 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
"Second to NYC" isn't the same as saying "a poor man's NYC".

The one time I've ever used that phrase was to describe the main shopping street of Collingswood, N.J. as "a poor man's Haddonfield." This was in the early 1980s, when half the storefronts on Haddon Avenue were vacant and those that were occupied looked faded.

Haddon Avenue still isn't as tony as Haddonfield's Kings Highway East, but I wouldn't dare use that phrase to describe busy, lively Haddon Avenue now.

"Poor man's" carries with it a connotation of lack — of inferiority beyond what "second best" or "second most" imply. Not only do we not "tout" ourself as "a poor man's NYC," we don't use that phrase at all — and many here chafe at the use of the phrase "the sixth borough" to describe Philadelphia.
I see it as the same. Philly is being pushed as the cheaper alternative- the Great Value NYC.

Old 10-26-2022, 03:27 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
I see it as the same. Philly is being pushed as the cheaper alternative- the Great Value NYC.
It's not. Chicago is a poor man's NYC.

Old 10-26-2022, 08:26 PM

Quote:
I find that Walmart's store brand more often than not lives up to its name.

It's usually not inferior to the nationally advertised counterpart. (And I have bought private-label products that definitely are.)

And New Yorkers, Brooklynites especially, move here because they think they're getting Great Value by doing so as well. And those Brooklynites certainly aren't poor.

Edited to add: But we've both agreed that the term "poor man's <insert noun here>" is toxic and at least mildly insulting anyway, so maybe I should just let this drop. Still, I wouldn't use the word "tout" next to the "poor man's" construction — "a poor man's <insert noun here>" is not a boast.

Old 10-27-2022, 04:36 AM

4,379 posts, read 4,618,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
It's not. Chicago is a poor man's NYC.
Uhhh NO

Old 10-27-2022, 07:42 AM

829 posts, read 450,537 times
NYC is a poor man’s Chicago

Old 10-27-2022, 08:03 AM

6,540 posts, read 12,037,130 times
Detroit or Milwaukee are poor man's Chicagos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City