Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2020, 04:25 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,888,160 times

Advertisements

Personally, I think this thread is starting to get weird....really weird. Also, I disagree with a lot of these comparisons, but then, seldom will we agree...we just all think we're right. From what I can tell, it's the smaller city that's the "poor man's version"...that certainly doesn't make it a 'poor" city. Anyway, wish I hadn't named Buffalo as a "poor man's" Milwaukee, as each city is what it is, and some of the "poor man's cities" are superior, in some eyes, to the city we're comparing them to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2020, 04:30 PM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Personally, I think this thread is starting to get weird....really weird. Also, I disagree with a lot of these comparisons, but then, seldom will we agree...we just all think we're right. From what I can tell, it's the smaller city that's the "poor man's version"...that certainly doesn't make it a 'poor" city. Anyway, wish I hadn't named Buffalo as a "poor man's" Milwaukee, as each city is what it is, and some of the "poor man's cities" are superior, in some eyes, to the city we're comparing them to.
"Starting to get"?

It's always been just a little strange from the get-go.

Old 04-13-2020, 04:34 PM

4,527 posts, read 5,098,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
This.

Old 04-13-2020, 05:12 PM

1,351 posts, read 894,939 times
"Poor man's ______" doesn't actually denote economic status. I thought everyone understood it to mean something that's similar, but of lower status on some measurable level.

Old 04-13-2020, 05:32 PM

3,406 posts, read 1,903,744 times
Macon = A poor man's Columbus, GA

Old 04-13-2020, 08:18 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,106,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
Could Philadelphia be said to be a poor man's London?

Yeah, if London were a tweaker...

Old 04-15-2020, 08:24 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
I'd say Dublin, Glasgow, Birmingham or Manchester is more of a poor man's London. Despite some of the built form suggesting some British heritage, Philly is still a disgustingly American city and incomparable. Maybe in 1800 it could have been described as such. You may as well then say that DC is a poor man's Paris.

If Milwaukee is a Buick, Appleton is a Chevy while Green Bay is a Pontiac. In away, this creates extra layers of being hidden in the background. Other examples:

DETROIT: Buick, TOLEDO: Chevrolet, FLINT: Geo (lower than Chevy when it existed), ANN ARBOR: Pontiac
BOSTON: Cadillac, PROVIDENCE: Buick, PORTLAND, ME: Chevrolet
SEATTLE: Cadillac, PORTLAND: Buick, BELLINGHAM: Chevrolet
DALLAS: Cadillac, FORT WORTH: Lincoln, OKLAHOMA CITY: Buick, WACO: Chevrolet, AUSTIN: Pontiac Trans Am (top trim)
ATLANTA: Cadillac, CHARTLOTTE: Buick, GREENVILLE: Chevrolet, ATHENS, GA: Pontiac, SAVANNAH: Oldsmobile
NEW ORLEANS: Cadillac, BATON ROUGE: Buick, MOBILE: Chevrolet
WASHINGTON DC: Cadillac, BALTIMORE: Buick, FREDERICKSBURG: Chevrolet, RICHMOND: Oldsmobile, CHARLOTTSVILLE: Pontiac
HONOLULU: Cadillac, HILO: Buick, KONA: Pontiac, Rest of the Big Island of Hawaii: Chevrolet
LOS ANGELES: Cadillac, SAN DIEGO: Buick, SAN BERNANDIDO: Chevrolet, BEVERLY HILLS: Rolls-Royce
SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA: Cadillac, SACRAMENTO: Buick, FRESNO: Chevrolet
DENVER: Cadillac, COLORADO SPRINGS: Buick, PUEBLO: Chevrolet, BOULDER: Pontiac
MINNEAPOLIS: Cadillac, ST. PAUL: Lincoln, ROCHESTER, MN: Buick, FARGO: Chevrolet
KANSAS CITY: Cadillac, OMAHA: Buick, WICHITA: Chevrolet
CINCINNATI: Oldsmobile, COLUMBUS: Pontiac, CLEVELAND: Buick, YOUNGSTOWN: Chevrolet
NYC: Rolls-Royce, PHILLY: Cadillac, ALLENTOWN: Chevrolet
Good job--very imaginitive!

Old 04-15-2020, 06:12 PM

142 posts, read 86,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
If Milwaukee is a Buick, Appleton is a Chevy while Green Bay is a Pontiac. In away, this creates extra layers of being hidden in the background. Other examples:

DETROIT: Buick, TOLEDO: Chevrolet, FLINT: Geo (lower than Chevy when it existed), ANN ARBOR: Pontiac
BOSTON: Cadillac, PROVIDENCE: Buick, PORTLAND, ME: Chevrolet
SEATTLE: Cadillac, PORTLAND: Buick, BELLINGHAM: Chevrolet
DALLAS: Cadillac, FORT WORTH: Lincoln, OKLAHOMA CITY: Buick, WACO: Chevrolet, AUSTIN: Pontiac Trans Am (top trim)
ATLANTA: Cadillac, CHARTLOTTE: Buick, GREENVILLE: Chevrolet, ATHENS, GA: Pontiac, SAVANNAH: Oldsmobile
NEW ORLEANS: Cadillac, BATON ROUGE: Buick, MOBILE: Chevrolet
WASHINGTON DC: Cadillac, BALTIMORE: Buick, FREDERICKSBURG: Chevrolet, RICHMOND: Oldsmobile, CHARLOTTSVILLE: Pontiac
HONOLULU: Cadillac, HILO: Buick, KONA: Pontiac, Rest of the Big Island of Hawaii: Chevrolet
LOS ANGELES: Cadillac, SAN DIEGO: Buick, SAN BERNANDIDO: Chevrolet, BEVERLY HILLS: Rolls-Royce
SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA: Cadillac, SACRAMENTO: Buick, FRESNO: Chevrolet
DENVER: Cadillac, COLORADO SPRINGS: Buick, PUEBLO: Chevrolet, BOULDER: Pontiac
MINNEAPOLIS: Cadillac, ST. PAUL: Lincoln, ROCHESTER, MN: Buick, FARGO: Chevrolet
KANSAS CITY: Cadillac, OMAHA: Buick, WICHITA: Chevrolet
CINCINNATI: Oldsmobile, COLUMBUS: Pontiac, CLEVELAND: Buick, YOUNGSTOWN: Chevrolet
NYC: Rolls-Royce, PHILLY: Cadillac, ALLENTOWN: Chevrolet
Maybe I'm missing them?
No ST LOUIS or MEMPHIS cars
No MIAMI maybe MIAMI BEACH and FT LAUDERDALE with it.
No CHICAGO or INDIANAPOLIS given a car.
No HOUSTON or SAN ANTONIO cars.
No LAS VEGAS or PHOENIX or RENO cars.
No SALT LAKE CITY or ASPEN or BOISE either.

Old 04-18-2020, 05:51 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,399,177 times
Greenville is the anti- ATL and anti-Charlotte in vibe which is a good thing although there are some people who want to change that.

Doesn't make sense to say it is a poor man's version of those two cities.

Old 04-18-2020, 09:29 PM

719 posts, read 493,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Greenville is the anti- ATL and anti-Charlotte in vibe which is a good thing although there are some people who want to change that.

Doesn't make sense to say it is a poor man's version of those two cities.
Well I can see how. I live in Charlotte and my parents have been living in Greenville(Simpsonville) for about 4 years now. Greenville has little bit of a cosmopolitan vibe. Downtown Greenville is awesome no matter the size of the city it goes against. To me personally it has 3rd best downtown out of all 3 states( Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina) behind downtown/ midtown Atlanta and Uptown/ South End Charlotte. It has multiple major highways going through it just like Atlanta and Charlotte. It is located in the Piedmont and is surrounded by lush forest just like Charlotte and Atlanta. It has major performing art centers and sports arenas( not on the other two cities scale though) just like Charlotte and Atlanta. Greenville may be alot smaller than the other two but I can definitely see the comparisons...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City