Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Vote for the Statement that is Most True
Memphis Out Ranks ALL of these Cities Easily 7 5.22%
Memphis Is on Par With Oklahoma City, Jacksonville, Birmingham, New Orleans Louisville 40 29.85%
Memphis Ranks Below Oklahoma City, Jacksonville, Birmingham, New Orleans, Louisville 11 8.21%
Memphis OutRanks New Orleans 1 0.75%
Memphis Is on Par With New Orleans 4 2.99%
Memphis Ranks Below New Orleans 5 3.73%
Memphis OutRanks Columbia, Charleston, Savannah and Greenville 10 7.46%
Memphis Is on Par With Columbia, Charleston, Savannah and Greenville, 1 0.75%
Memphis Ranks Below Columbia, Charleston, Savannah, and Greenville 2 1.49%
Memphis OutRanks Little Rock, Augusta, Columbus Georgia, Chattanooga, Knoxville and Huntsville 14 10.45%
Memphis Is on Par With Little Rock, Augusta, Columbus Georgia, Chattanooga, Knoxville and Huntsville 4 2.99%
Memphis Ranks Below Little Rock, Augusta, Columbus Georgia, Chattanooga, Knoxville and Huntsville 1 0.75%
Memphis OutRanks Jackson Mississippi 18 13.43%
Memphis Is on Par With Jackson Mississippi 8 5.97%
Memphis Ranks Below Jackson Mississippi 8 5.97%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2022, 09:18 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,751,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Hmmm, didn't realize the mindset for a lot of people in Memphis, Mississippi, Arkansas, etc. was to eventually relocate to the Dallas/DFW area. Interesting to learn. I wonder if any people opt to relocate to northwest Arkansas or Little Rock at times, if they get bored with living in Memphis?

And true, some of the Jackson suburbs(moreso ones on the north and east side of town) are alright. If I had to live in Jackson, I'd probably live in one of those suburbs. Maybe also Belhaven or Fondren within Jackson, if I got lucky and found a nice house in one of those neighborhoods.
I'm guessing whatever movement there is from Memphis to Little Rock or NWA would be for practical, convenient reasons probably something to do with work or family. Same with Jackson.
They're both smaller and generally have less to do than Memphis. Little Rock even has a similar crime problem. NWA is safer, but is also way smaller and mostly appeals to people from outside the region and those being bribed by Walmart to relocate there.
DFW and Houston would be much more appealing to someone wanting an actual upgrade from Memphis rather than just a simple change of scenery. .
They're a lot bigger, would be improvement in crime rates (because Memphis is particularly bad in that area), better economies, etc

As for Arkansas, Little Rock is full of people from small-town Arkansas. Either it's permanent, or just a stepping stone to something bigger. They have lots of out-of-state transplants as well.
NWA is just where the Razorbacks play if you're from elsewhere in Arkansas. There are some native Arkansans from elsewhere in the state living there permanently but it's still more of a practical choice.

As for why they migrate to Texas, there just seems to be a connection there. Easy access on I-30, the old Southwest Conference in which Arkansas played against a lot of Texas schools, it's different, but still southern enough, and so on...
Cowboys country extends all the over to Memphis, so that might be something.

Last edited by sub; 10-05-2022 at 09:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2022, 08:24 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,963,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
I'm guessing whatever movement there is from Memphis to Little Rock or NWA would be for practical, convenient reasons probably something to do with work or family. Same with Jackson.
They're both smaller and generally have less to do than Memphis. Little Rock even has a similar crime problem. NWA is safer, but is also way smaller and mostly appeals to people from outside the region and those being bribed by Walmart to relocate there.
DFW and Houston would be much more appealing to someone wanting an actual upgrade from Memphis rather than just a simple change of scenery. .
They're a lot bigger, would be improvement in crime rates (because Memphis is particularly bad in that area), better economies, etc

As for Arkansas, Little Rock is full of people from small-town Arkansas. Either it's permanent, or just a stepping stone to something bigger. They have lots of out-of-state transplants as well.
NWA is just where the Razorbacks play if you're from elsewhere in Arkansas. There are some native Arkansans from elsewhere in the state living there permanently but it's still more of a practical choice.

As for why they migrate to Texas, there just seems to be a connection there. Easy access on I-30, the old Southwest Conference in which Arkansas played against a lot of Texas schools, it's different, but still southern enough, and so on...
Cowboys country extends all the over to Memphis, so that might be something.
DFW and ATL are magnets for people with technical degrees and has a good qol (depending on one's own definition). They have pretty decent salaries. North Texas offers a much better vibe for families than anything found in Tennessee.

Many in Memphis goes to school in Nashville and choose to stay. Some come back.

St Louis is such an easy city to live in now. culturally different. Depending upon what one is looking for, I can see the advantages of relocating and starting a life here vs staying in Tennessee.

Last edited by mjtinmemphis; 10-06-2022 at 08:35 AM..

Old 10-06-2022, 11:33 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
NWA has more going on than Wal-Mart though. I can definitely see some folks being pulled there from Memphis for job opportunities and better QOL.

Old 10-06-2022, 04:59 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,751,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
DFW and ATL are magnets for people with technical degrees and has a good qol (depending on one's own definition). They have pretty decent salaries. North Texas offers a much better vibe for families than anything found in Tennessee.

Many in Memphis goes to school in Nashville and choose to stay. Some come back.

St Louis is such an easy city to live in now. culturally different. Depending upon what one is looking for, I can see the advantages of relocating and starting a life here vs staying in Tennessee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
NWA has more going on than Wal-Mart though. I can definitely see some folks being pulled there from Memphis for job opportunities and better QOL.
My point was that there are people that move to any of these areas, but the one of the most popular destinations would likely be Texas. I could see Atlanta being up there as well these days.

St. Louis would be a fine option, maybe one I'd personally choose over any of what's been mentioned, but I seriously doubt it's a huge draw anymore. Even back in the 90's it would still seem to have been a stretch, but I'll take your word for it.
My parents' generation moved to places like St. Louis, Chicago, Michigan, etc., because that's where the good jobs were back then.

NWA isn't even a huge draw for other Arkansans. I'm not saying that people from AR or Memphis don't move there, but they don't romanticize NWA like outsiders sometimes seem to do.
To them, it's just another bunch of Arkansas small towns. The difference being it's more tainted by... certain ex-west-coasters who drive up costs and increase traffic wherever they go.
Otherwise, one could find all NWA's best attributes in a far more interesting city setting elsewhere.

Last edited by sub; 10-06-2022 at 05:24 PM..

Old 10-06-2022, 05:52 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
My point was that there are people that move to any of these areas, but the one of the most popular destinations would likely be Texas. I could see Atlanta being up there as well these days.

St. Louis would be a fine option, maybe one I'd personally choose over any of what's been mentioned, but I seriously doubt it's a huge draw anymore. Even back in the 90's it would still seem to have been a stretch, but I'll take your word for it.
My parents' generation moved to places like St. Louis, Chicago, Michigan, etc., because that's where the good jobs were back then.

NWA isn't even a huge draw for other Arkansans. I'm not saying that people from AR or Memphis don't move there, but they don't romanticize NWA like outsiders sometimes seem to do.
To them, it's just another bunch of Arkansas small towns. The difference being it's more tainted by... certain ex-west-coasters who drive up costs and increase traffic wherever they go.
Otherwise, one could find all NWA's best attributes in a far more interesting city setting elsewhere.
I gotcha. It's interesting to note how each huge migration movement of the 20th-21st centuries pulled/pulls Memphis in a different direction. During the Great Migration, the pull came from Northern cities like St. Louis, Chicago, Detroit, Milwaukee, etc. whereas now, in the Reverse Migration, the pull is coming from Sunbelt cities to the east (Nashville, Atlanta) and southwest (Dallas, Houston).

Old 10-07-2022, 10:33 AM

2,995 posts, read 3,100,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
I Have Never Heard in my Life Someone from Memphis Moving to Jackson Mississippi. And Recently Not St Louis and Lately Not Atlanta As Much as I use too. Maybe that's A Internet Google thing. Not Saying that it doesn't happen, SomeBody out there has Moved from Memphis to Jackson before. But it's not common.

The Comment Above Reads like some one googled information and that's what it told them. And Maybe it has some truth too it maybe some Internet Migration Patterns

But I Have Real Life Experience with Memphis and can tell you What the Streets are saying

Dallas/ Texas in general Is In Fact The Number One Spot for Memphians. If Not Dallas than it's Usually Houston. The Internet backs this up, But I Hear this in the Streets as Well. In Memphis, Texas is like the Green Pasture Solution to All Life's Problems. I could be at work and Hear "I'm tired of this mess I'm Moving to Texas" or Could be at a Mall and overhear some Women be like "Ohh Girl How You Doing, Girl I'm Doing fine, You Know We Moving to Texas Next Month" ...You Hear Examples like these All the Time in Memphis (I actually have family that moved to dallas on my dad's side and a lot of family that moved to houston on my mother's side)

Now Atlanta is Different, Late 90's early 2000's You Could Replace Atlanta with the Statement Above instead of Texas, But Lately in the 2020's You don't hear AS Many Memphians talking about moving too Atlanta as you Once Did. I'm Talking about Real Life Experience the Stuff you Hear in Memphis on the Streets and On the Job and in your Inner Circle of Family and Friends, not just the internet. You Occasionally still hear People Moving to Atlanta But it Seems Texas has Taken the #1 Spot for Memphians to Move too lately, But the Early 2000's It Used to be Atlanta (have family in atlanta too)

Nashville, I Do Hear A Few Memphians talking about Moving to Nashville every Now and Then, Most of them White but even Some Blacks, Actually some of my Family recently moved there. Nashville is A Destination for Memphians that you hear about in Real Life, Not On A Level of Dallas (Texas seems to have some Magic Draw on Memphis People) Or As Much As Atlanta, I Would Put Nashville as the 4th or 5 place Memphians talk about moving too

St Louis like Atlanta, Maybe in the 90's I used to hear People talk about Moving to St Louis (actually had a few family members who made the move during that time but there not there anymore) But Lately I Haven't heard anybody from Memphis talk about moving to St Louis. Maybe on the Internet it says that. But in Real Life I Haven't heard anybody from Memphis claiming to move to St Louis. Not Saying that it doesn't happen. Somebody from Memphis has probably moved to St Louis lately, I Haven't Heard about them, and On the Streets of Memphis in the 2020's its not a common theme you hear anymore

Jackson Mississippi, I Never Hear/ heard Anybody from Memphis saying they're Moving to Jackson. Not in the 90's 2000's or 2020's I don't Know where the internet got that information from. But Like I Said it is Possible. SOMEbody out there done it. Somebody out there moved from Memphis to Jackson before
^^^^ All this. Thanks. You saved me from typing all that up myself...lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City