Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Vote for the Statement that is Most True
Memphis Out Ranks ALL of these Cities Easily 7 5.22%
Memphis Is on Par With Oklahoma City, Jacksonville, Birmingham, New Orleans Louisville 40 29.85%
Memphis Ranks Below Oklahoma City, Jacksonville, Birmingham, New Orleans, Louisville 11 8.21%
Memphis OutRanks New Orleans 1 0.75%
Memphis Is on Par With New Orleans 4 2.99%
Memphis Ranks Below New Orleans 5 3.73%
Memphis OutRanks Columbia, Charleston, Savannah and Greenville 10 7.46%
Memphis Is on Par With Columbia, Charleston, Savannah and Greenville, 1 0.75%
Memphis Ranks Below Columbia, Charleston, Savannah, and Greenville 2 1.49%
Memphis OutRanks Little Rock, Augusta, Columbus Georgia, Chattanooga, Knoxville and Huntsville 14 10.45%
Memphis Is on Par With Little Rock, Augusta, Columbus Georgia, Chattanooga, Knoxville and Huntsville 4 2.99%
Memphis Ranks Below Little Rock, Augusta, Columbus Georgia, Chattanooga, Knoxville and Huntsville 1 0.75%
Memphis OutRanks Jackson Mississippi 18 13.43%
Memphis Is on Par With Jackson Mississippi 8 5.97%
Memphis Ranks Below Jackson Mississippi 8 5.97%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2022, 07:58 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,239,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio2018 View Post
I saw where Dun and Bradstreet moved its headquarters from New Jersey to Jacksonville. I'm fascinated as to how they made that decision. Was the CEO just wanting to move to Ponte Vedra to play golf or else how why Jacksonville?
D&B headquarters doesn’t have a big head count. Florida has no state income tax. It’s a tax dodge by the C-suite. The CEO got $7.5 million in stock and $3.2 million in bonus last year. That’s 10.75% tax bracket money so $1 million or so in tax savings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2022, 08:00 AM

5,761 posts, read 11,363,264 times
Memphis is top-tier in terms of the quality of drinking water that comes out of the tap. It is pumped from vast underground aquifers thanks to lying in the flat part of the Mississippi River basin - it is not river or lake water subject to surface pollution. No need to buy bottled water or use a water softener. OK, this may sound trivial to some, but as someone who has lived a couple of decades in southern California and southern AZ, good tap water is not so trivial. In many places in the southwest, not only is good tap water scarce, but any water at all is getting scarce.

Memphis is also a big player in the global and US supply chain. Not only is the Fed Ex "hub" based in Memphis, but the city is also a hub for railroad container shipping in the southeastern USA.

Good water and good supply chain connections are good building blocks that can be used to attract potential business and industry away from water-starved southwest locations.

Old 07-31-2022, 08:05 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,751,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Memphis would only easily outrank the MSAs under 1M (Chattanooga, Knoxville, Jackson, Columbus). Birmingham and especially New Orleans are much more competitive with Memphis overall.

All except Little Rock. Knoxville is closer to Memphis's tier than Little Rock is.
I would agree that Birmingham and NO would be Memphis's most direct southern peers. New Orleans is too touristy and geographically problematic.
Birmingham is more stagnant. The population "growth" or stability in the city of Memphis has been aided by annexation, but the metro population overall has been more stable than Birmingham with more consistent growth.

Knoxville is slightly closer to Memphis I suppose, but LR and Knoxville are very similar in size to each other.
Little Rock is more of a hub for a larger region than Knoxville.

Old 07-31-2022, 05:34 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Knoxville is slightly closer to Memphis I suppose, but LR and Knoxville are very similar in size to each other.
Little Rock is more of a hub for a larger region than Knoxville.
Knoxville and Little Rock are definitely peers and more comparable to each other whereas Memphis is in the next highest tier of cities.

It's plausible that Little Rock functions as a hub for a larger region than Knoxville, but for what it's worth, Knoxville's CSA population is 1,137,585 compared to Little Rock's 908,791.

Old 07-31-2022, 08:14 PM

3,150 posts, read 2,206,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
I would agree that Birmingham and NO would be Memphis's most direct southern peers. New Orleans is too touristy and geographically problematic.
Birmingham is more stagnant. The population "growth" or stability in the city of Memphis has been aided by annexation, but the metro population overall has been more stable than Birmingham with more consistent growth.
Actually the Birmingham metro area (+5.1%) grew considerably faster than the Memphis metro area (+1.6%) between the 2010 and 2020 census. I think the characterization of Birmingham as "stagnant" would have been more appropriate a few decades ago.

https://www.newgeography.com/content...th-2020-census

Old 08-01-2022, 05:59 PM

541 posts, read 556,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
Actually the Birmingham metro area (+5.1%) grew considerably faster than the Memphis metro area (+1.6%) between the 2010 and 2020 census. I think the characterization of Birmingham as "stagnant" would have been more appropriate a few decades ago.

To be fair, Birmingham is one of those metros that consistently gets underestimated by census estimates. Memphis does too, but not to the same degree. For 2020, Bham was underestimated by 23,368 and Memphis was by 10,899. One of the lesser annoyances of COVID is that, because of the likelihood of messing up census data, estimates could be even more off than normal in 2029.

Edit oops: I swapped numbers, Memphis was "overestimated". The estimate was over by 10,899. There's still the possible effect the black population possibly being notably undercounted in the actual census, but that would hold true for BHam as well.

Old 08-01-2022, 06:35 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
I remember the days when Memphis was the largest city proper in the Southeast, and it wasn't that long ago either.

Old 08-01-2022, 06:44 PM

3,150 posts, read 2,206,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemean View Post
To be fair, Birmingham is one of those metros that consistently gets underestimated by census estimates. Memphis does too, but not to the same degree. For 2020, Bham was underestimated by 23,368 and Memphis was by 10,899. One of the lesser annoyances of COVID is that, because of the likelihood of messing up census data, estimates could be even more off than normal in 2029.

Edit oops: I swapped numbers, Memphis was "overestimated". The estimate was over by 10,899. There's still the possible effect the black population possibly being notably undercounted in the actual census, but that would hold true for BHam as well.
I'm sure the official census figures aren't perfect, but a 5.1% vs. 1.6% growth rate difference is significant enough that it should reflect a stronger performance for the 2010s in Birmingham. Undercounting of Black populations could certainly impact both areas but this was likely an issue prior to 2020 as well.

I think it's pretty clear that Memphis has been falling short of most major metro areas nationwide for growth recently, and has trailed all 1 million+ peers in the Southern US. Of course they could perform better in the future as growth trends across the country are constantly shifting, and Memphis does have a number of items in its favor.

Old 08-01-2022, 09:14 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post

Birmingham continues to lose population in the city limits. It is now the third largest city in Alabama.

https://www.cbs42.com/news/local/bir...nsus-estimate/

Old 08-11-2022, 07:38 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,336,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Birmingham continues to lose population in the city limits. It is now the third largest city in Alabama.

https://www.cbs42.com/news/local/bir...nsus-estimate/
Most of those people still live in the metro. This is why the metro numbers are the ones growing and depended upon by business, government and almost all others predicated on city performance.

However, there are those that choose their numbers to support their views.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City