Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Vote for the Statement that is Most True
Memphis Out Ranks ALL of these Cities Easily 7 5.22%
Memphis Is on Par With Oklahoma City, Jacksonville, Birmingham, New Orleans Louisville 40 29.85%
Memphis Ranks Below Oklahoma City, Jacksonville, Birmingham, New Orleans, Louisville 11 8.21%
Memphis OutRanks New Orleans 1 0.75%
Memphis Is on Par With New Orleans 4 2.99%
Memphis Ranks Below New Orleans 5 3.73%
Memphis OutRanks Columbia, Charleston, Savannah and Greenville 10 7.46%
Memphis Is on Par With Columbia, Charleston, Savannah and Greenville, 1 0.75%
Memphis Ranks Below Columbia, Charleston, Savannah, and Greenville 2 1.49%
Memphis OutRanks Little Rock, Augusta, Columbus Georgia, Chattanooga, Knoxville and Huntsville 14 10.45%
Memphis Is on Par With Little Rock, Augusta, Columbus Georgia, Chattanooga, Knoxville and Huntsville 4 2.99%
Memphis Ranks Below Little Rock, Augusta, Columbus Georgia, Chattanooga, Knoxville and Huntsville 1 0.75%
Memphis OutRanks Jackson Mississippi 18 13.43%
Memphis Is on Par With Jackson Mississippi 8 5.97%
Memphis Ranks Below Jackson Mississippi 8 5.97%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2020, 05:15 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,889,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKernel91 View Post
Latest news on the Economy... this brings in a closer picture in how it ranks with peers around the same size

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.loc...r-memphis/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.com...amp/4465355002

So Basically Memphis' Birth Rate exceeds the National average. Lot of People making love there so there will always be a large workforce, to offset the people leaving

And Also Memphis is growing faster than the national average in the Manufacturing, Logistics, Entertainment, and Healthcare Industries, But Lags the US average in other Industries and as a Whole

And Also the Sights and Sounds of Cranes and New Construction, Encourages even more Construction

Last edited by BlueRedTide; 01-17-2020 at 06:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2022, 01:53 AM

577 posts, read 561,578 times
One of the bright spots for Metro Memphis is DeSoto County, Mississippi.

DeSoto County is a bit higher than the national average in median income and is doing quite well in terms of safety, schools, interstate and road systems, and job growth. DeSoto is a straight shot up I-55 to downtown Memphis and to the airport. Many people build homes on multi-acre, wooded lots rather than in subdivisions; there is lots of open space.

They are starting to develop more cultural venues, in terms of shopping, restaurants, galleries, and music venues. This will be the next level. I would love to see this area in another 30 years because by then they will have crossed over from a prosperous, solid middle class area to a substantially affluent area (averaging well north of $100k median income), and the population probably will be between 300-400,000 people by then. Memphis metro will have DeSoto as a significant draw for considering the Memphis area.

Old 07-30-2022, 11:45 AM

3,150 posts, read 2,206,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio2018 View Post
One of the bright spots for Metro Memphis is DeSoto County, Mississippi.

DeSoto County is a bit higher than the national average in median income and is doing quite well in terms of safety, schools, interstate and road systems, and job growth. DeSoto is a straight shot up I-55 to downtown Memphis and to the airport. Many people build homes on multi-acre, wooded lots rather than in subdivisions; there is lots of open space.

They are starting to develop more cultural venues, in terms of shopping, restaurants, galleries, and music venues. This will be the next level. I would love to see this area in another 30 years because by then they will have crossed over from a prosperous, solid middle class area to a substantially affluent area (averaging well north of $100k median income), and the population probably will be between 300-400,000 people by then. Memphis metro will have DeSoto as a significant draw for considering the Memphis area.
I think eastern Shelby County (Germantown, Collierville, Arlington, Lakeland, etc.) is unlikely to be displaced as metro Memphis' premier suburban area by DeSoto County. Because of the presence of lower income urban areas Shelby as a whole is not quite as well off, but there are large contiguous sections of the county more than equivalent to DeSoto in population that are very prosperous. Eastern Shelby also has much more office and higher end retail development already, whereas DeSoto is mostly a midscale bedroom community.

Old 07-30-2022, 11:52 AM

40 posts, read 27,198 times
In terms of music (past and present) and US historic significance (civil rights era), Memphis out ranks many cities.

Old 07-30-2022, 05:20 PM

10,055 posts, read 14,425,999 times
If you rank Memphis with the cities listed with the most popular polling choice, here's my take--based on downtown livability, nice city neighborhoods, overall economy, cultural options, entertainment/bars/restaurant options:

These cities are all pretty close, with the exception of New Orleans, which is a strong #1 here.

6 Birmingham
5 Louisville
4 Oklahoma City
3 Memphis
2 Jacksonville
1 New Orleans

Old 07-30-2022, 05:25 PM

393 posts, read 261,248 times
Memphis is in the same league as New Orleans, 1 league above Birmingham, and 1 league below Jacksonville.

Old 07-30-2022, 06:10 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Dragon View Post
Memphis is in the same league as New Orleans, 1 league above Birmingham, and 1 league below Jacksonville.
Overall, I think all of these cities are in the same tier with Jacksonville at the top and Birmingham, as the smallest, on the bottom. But it could also be argued that Jacksonville is pulling away from the rest.

Old 07-30-2022, 10:12 PM

577 posts, read 561,578 times
I saw where Dun and Bradstreet moved its headquarters from New Jersey to Jacksonville. I'm fascinated as to how they made that decision. Was the CEO just wanting to move to Ponte Vedra to play golf or else how why Jacksonville?

I read that Jacksonville was one of the fastest growing areas last year according to Forbes, apparently in part because of a booming banking and finance sector in Jacksonville. Why is that I wonder. Maybe their port is booming, similar to Charleston? In any event, the article said that millennials are flowing to Jacksonville. They've got a beautiful river and nice beaches, what's not to love.

With Memphis, as far as I know the most notable businesses are Fed Ex and St. Jude. Also Ford is building their electric vehicle plant about 30 minutes outside the Memphis suburbs in West Tennessee. Perhaps when the time is right in the national economy, these sectors will start to take off.

Old 07-31-2022, 07:34 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,751,401 times
Memphis would easily outrank New Orleans, Chattanooga, Knoxville, Jackson MS, Columbus GA and Birmingham.

Probably on par with Little Rock, Jacksonville, Louisville, and OKC.

Personally, I'd take it over places like Nashville and Charlotte by a margin I have no measure for.

Old 07-31-2022, 07:51 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Memphis would easily outrank New Orleans, Chattanooga, Knoxville, Jackson MS, Columbus GA and Birmingham.
Memphis would only easily outrank the MSAs under 1M (Chattanooga, Knoxville, Jackson, Columbus). Birmingham and especially New Orleans are much more competitive with Memphis overall.

Quote:
Probably on par with Little Rock, Jacksonville, Louisville, and OKC.
All except Little Rock. Knoxville is closer to Memphis's tier than Little Rock is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City