Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: City with the best seafood
NYC 3 3.37%
LA 4 4.49%
Chicago 2 2.25%
Dallas-Fort Worth 0 0%
Houston 5 5.62%
DC 0 0%
Miami 2 2.25%
Philly 2 2.25%
Atlanta 2 2.25%
Boston 25 28.09%
Phoenix 2 2.25%
San Francisco-Oakland 4 4.49%
Detroit 0 0%
Seattle 20 22.47%
Minneapolis-St. Paul 0 0%
San Deigo 2 2.25%
Tampa 5 5.62%
Denver 0 0%
Baltimore 10 11.24%
St. Louis 1 1.12%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2020, 08:46 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,962,476 times

Advertisements

The polling is as expected: Boston, Seattle, Baltimore...( lobster/clam chowder, salmon/Alaskan, crab)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2020, 02:06 PM

9,815 posts, read 7,987,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Ive had seafood in Miami, Melbourne, Tampa, Sarasota, Jacksonville, Fort Lauderdale, Panama City, Destin, Fort Walton (?), Kissimmee, Oviedo, Oldsmar (Near Tampa) and Miami Beach. Nothing has yet to appease me. The only major cities I havent had seafood in would be Key West, West Palm Beach, Fort Myers, Naples, Pensacola and Key Largo.

I'm a 2nd generation Portuguese American from Massachusetts where some of my family used to fish out from New Bedford up until the early 00s. I'm a seafood snob from the fact that my family puts fresh seafood out on the table.

Also as ive said, I much prefer cold water seafood to warm.
That still doesn't align with your ridiculous claim. It also sounds like you went in with a closed mind in regards to Florida seafood, as there are also many seafood snobs there that very routinely put fresh seafood on their families tables. Like daily for many.

If you had tried, it would have been very easy to discover excellent New England seafood flown in fresh daily at the Boston Fish House, on Aloma in Winter Park.

Old 01-11-2020, 06:10 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,397,455 times
None of the above. Portland ME. The only time I ever actually enjoyed lobster. It's so good there.

Old 01-11-2020, 06:21 PM

7,900 posts, read 11,461,404 times
Houston. The fish near the coast are incredible and best Shrimp and Crab are as good as it gets. But what puts it over the top is the deep gulf fish available with a three day fishing trip..................French Angel, Triggerfish, Tilefish, Grouper, etc. Babin's and Willie G's Seafood in Houston are where you can find these fish daily on a black board. Been told its a three day fishing trip to bring them in, one day out and one day back and one day to fish.

Qualifier. Ive had fish all over the lower 48 states, not a fan of most cold water fish nor lobster or salmon. I prefer my fish taste like chicken. These deep sea catches are flaky white and taste a little like what they eat which can be shrimp, crab etc.

Last edited by Johnhw2; 01-11-2020 at 06:35 PM..

Old 01-11-2020, 06:50 PM

12,239 posts, read 8,160,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
That still doesn't align with your ridiculous claim. It also sounds like you went in with a closed mind in regards to Florida seafood, as there are also many seafood snobs there that very routinely put fresh seafood on their families tables. Like daily for many.

If you had tried, it would have been very easy to discover excellent New England seafood flown in fresh daily at the Boston Fish House, on Aloma in Winter Park.
Sorry to upset you!

Old 01-12-2020, 02:33 AM

9,815 posts, read 7,987,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Sorry to upset you!
Hardly upset, just challenging an ignorant claim that the seafood in Florida is 'terrible.'

Old 01-12-2020, 07:12 AM

4,179 posts, read 2,896,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Hardly upset, just challenging an ignorant claim that the seafood in Florida is 'terrible.'
It seems weird to defend Florida seafood by mentioning a place that flies in New England fish daily.

Old 01-12-2020, 07:22 AM

27,262 posts, read 44,232,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Yeah but, for the most part, I've been unimpressed with the offerings in the major cities in Florida. Now if we were to include the keys, I think that would be a different story.
Same here as a resident. Many beach towns are surprisingly low of quality options and weirdly enough the demand doesn't seem all that high either. The Keys are probably the exception where shellfish like Shrimp and Spiny Lobster becomes part of the offerings along with varying fish and oysters which are also found more statewide.

Old 01-12-2020, 11:37 AM

12,239 posts, read 8,160,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
It seems weird to defend Florida seafood by mentioning a place that flies in New England fish daily.
My exact thought. If FL's specialty is flying NE quality seafood.. (which is a lot of the seafood places in FL) thats not a good claim for FL. FL seafood OUTSIDE of the keys, is lower quality than it should.

Again head down to New Beffit and you will get yo self some quality seafood. I took this poll as Metro, not city-specific. New beffit is kinda in Greater Boston? But the restaurants along the strip of Newport RI, New Beffit, Fall River, Dartmouth, Falmouth, Wareham and Ptown are killer. And up through the North Shore, the dirty Rick, and Maine are just as good. Boston has great spots like the Sail Loft, but you have to see through the touristy areas. Just like Manhattan has blah pizza, but go to the outer boroughs and its better.

Old 01-12-2020, 11:43 AM

1,754 posts, read 1,928,779 times
Why would Denver,(DEEEEP INLAND), Phoenix, or Dallas be on this List, But Not New Orleans, This Lists Makes no Sense
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City