Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2020, 03:00 AM

817 posts, read 597,108 times

Advertisements

Anchorage is really surprising. Honolulu would be surprising but for the fact that the economic challenges (absurdly high COL and low wages/few jobs) of Hawaii have become more well known on the mainland. Maybe it's the same thing with Anchorage (?).

Also, I loved living in St. Louis, but the longer I'm gone the more dysfunctional the place seems. I can totally understand why people are fleeing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2020, 06:04 AM

2,326 posts, read 3,933,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
I've been to Marlin, Texas and I'm pretty sure that it's shrinking. Others as well I'm sure.
From the link (have to click “Read more...”)

Quote:
For the sake of this list, we’re listing any location that’s designated as a city or has a population of 10,000 or higher. Stats were pulled from the U.S. Census Bureau.
Marlin had around 6k people in 2010.

Old 02-23-2020, 06:52 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,909,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe01 View Post
From the link (have to click “Read more...”)

Marlin had around 6k people in 2010.
They should state that more prominently otherwise a bunch of people with confirmation bias are going to believe theres literally nowhere, not even towns of 6000, in some states that are shrinking.

Old 02-23-2020, 09:16 AM

4,502 posts, read 4,609,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignCrunch View Post
Anchorage is really surprising.
I thought it was surprising, too. That's why I looked it up on Wikipedia.

The population of Anchorage dropped .1% from 2010 to 2018. A loss of about 284 people out of about 291,000 total. That don't sound like enough of a loss of population to accurately claim that Anchorage is a "shrinking" city. The City of Anchorage grew 12% between the years 2000 and 2010 and the Anchorage Metro grew by 4.8% during that same time frame.

I wonder how they decided Anchorage is shrinking?

Old 02-23-2020, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I thought it was surprising, too. That's why I looked it up on Wikipedia.

The population of Anchorage dropped .1% from 2010 to 2018. A loss of about 284 people out of about 291,000 total. That don't sound like enough of a loss of population to accurately claim that Anchorage is a "shrinking" city. The City of Anchorage grew 12% between the years 2000 and 2010 and the Anchorage Metro grew by 4.8% during that same time frame.

I wonder how they decided Anchorage is shrinking?
It probably posted the largest loss of any place over 10,000 people, which in Alaska is just a handful of places. Regarding this too, there are things to consider.

1) The Census Estimates survey where these figures probably came from are adjusted every year for their previous years. For example, when the 2017 estimates of population came out, it turns out the Census had added over 15,000 people to their 2016 Chicago estimate. Then a year later, they had subtracted 1500 or 2000 people from a few previous estimates and increased other previous estimates.

Issue is that the Census does a really bad job of telling people various things so these things aren't well reported. A big example of this is the fact that they will tell you privately that you should not be comparing 2010 Decennial Census figures to any of the ACS. Everyone including the media does it though and they don't tell those people to stop doing it - but if you ask them privately they will say to not do it.

2) These numbers are from sample surveys, so the Margin of Error has to be considered.

3) It depends on the study being used. The ACS is a more comprehensive study but the media will cite the Population Estimates study for whatever reason. These things can contradict each other sometimes, and other times when they don't, the ACS will be within the Margin of Error to make you think that it could go either way in some places.

Old 02-23-2020, 10:44 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,385,848 times
Colorado does not have a legal definition delineating the difference between a town and city. Its up the the leaders of said entity to decide what they are. Although I'd imagine to most of us, the "city" of Sterling having only 17k, puts it solidly in the town category.

Old 02-23-2020, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Colorado does not have a legal definition delineating the difference between a town and city. Its up the the leaders of said entity to decide what they are. Although I'd imagine to most of us, the "city" of Sterling having only 17k, puts it solidly in the town category.
In the census it's called a "Place" - that could be a town, city, CDP, village, etc. For this it wouldn't matter - all would be covered as long as it is a "Place."

Old 02-23-2020, 11:58 AM

1,729 posts, read 1,889,291 times
What Memphis Grew!? Ha Ha Take That!

Old 02-23-2020, 02:21 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,963,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignCrunch View Post
Also, I loved living in St. Louis, but the longer I'm gone the more dysfunctional the place seems. I can totally understand why people are fleeing.
Funny thing. With all of the dysfunction in St. Louis with the fragmented government and everything else, I enjoy my life here. Very easy place to live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide

What Memphis Grew!? Ha Ha Take That!
Must be the birth rate plus annexation throughout the years.

Old 02-23-2020, 02:45 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,204,425 times
What the article failed to mention is that Corcoran, California is home to the California State Prison AND prisoners are counted among the town’s population. So it is really not remarkable that it would lose population as prison populations are naturally going to fluctuate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City