Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pennsylvania v. Virginia
Pennsylvania 51 46.36%
Virginia 59 53.64%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2020, 07:21 PM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
I was a fan of the “you’ve got a friend in Pennsylvania@ plates of the early-mid 80’s.
I loved that sentiment. My sister was in college in Philadelphia at the time so PA was very much on my radar as a tween/teen.
I pointed out to someone the other day that that slogan - which is IMO the best tourism slogan the state has had since I moved to it in 1983 - is also a double-reference.

Of course, there's the straightforward meaning.

Here's the other: What is the formal name of the religious denomination known popularly as the Quakers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2020, 07:59 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,682,365 times
That’s cool. I never made that connection.
If I recall it went from “you’ve got a friend...” to “the keystone state” which wasn’t interesting at all to me. I was sad to see that lovely plate go. They should bring it back

Old 03-04-2020, 04:43 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
If I recall it went from “you’ve got a friend...” to “the keystone state” which wasn’t interesting at all to me. I was sad to see that lovely plate go. They should bring it back
I wouldn't mind that either, but I don't think the state's tourism promotion people have any plans to dust that slogan off.

Of course, "Keystone State" is the state's official nickname - the term actually comes from Pennsylvania's location in the center of the arc of the 13 original colonies.

Pennsylvania plates currently display the web address of the state's tourism promotion site. Current slogan there? "Pursue your happiness" - another Declaration of Independence reference.

Old 03-04-2020, 05:09 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,448,279 times
Quote:
Agreed. The current PA plate is one of the most boring plates in the states.

Old 03-07-2020, 09:23 AM

836 posts, read 851,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Well that's a step in the right direction at least, but speed enforcement in general is still lax in Pennsylvania compared to Virginia.
The reason PA traffic enforcement is so lax is because the VA towns need the revenue from speeding tickets. In PA, I don’t even think it’s like that because of the differing economies. VA was mainly agricultural while PA was mostly industrial and maybe that’s the reason why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City